Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

May 8, 2018
2 posts
Hi everyone hoping I can get some answers, so I'm not really sure if I'm able to contact someone about this person doing this. One of my close family friends had mention she's only receiving a little amount of money because she got switched to a part time student and that her other friend was on academic probation so she was close of not gwtfinmg osap and getting kicked out. My friend did her assignments so she would fail and now this young lady got switched to part time only but lied on the papers for osap saying she's full time so that she could get more money. She was already declined at Mohawk College to get a bus pass so she thought by lying on the papers would be okay for her to do. She's now receiving much more $$ when she's not suppose to, isn't that fraud? Can someone help me out to get a place I can contact. I don't think that's right at all
Apr 29, 2018
4 posts
Toronto
As I enquired.. MSFAA and the signature forms are made online from this year. So we gotta wait till mid summer to know how this is going to play out.
Engineer by profession .. Analyst by choice.
May 19, 2015
633 posts
219 upvotes
Carlamalatestaaa wrote:
May 9th, 2018 9:30 pm
Hi everyone hoping I can get some answers, so I'm not really sure if I'm able to contact someone about this person doing this. One of my close family friends had mention she's only receiving a little amount of money because she got switched to a part time student and that her other friend was on academic probation so she was close of not gwtfinmg osap and getting kicked out. My friend did her assignments so she would fail and now this young lady got switched to part time only but lied on the papers for osap saying she's full time so that she could get more money. She was already declined at Mohawk College to get a bus pass so she thought by lying on the papers would be okay for her to do. She's now receiving much more $$ when she's not suppose to, isn't that fraud? Can someone help me out to get a place I can contact. I don't think that's right at all
But doesn't the school send in confirmation of full time, part time etc? I would think OSAP would catch this once those documents are sent in? It is fraud and they may be barred from receiving OSAP in the future if they're caught.
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
May 8, 2018
2 posts
She already received $$ that a full time student would get for OSAP. The friend who told me about the situation said she hasn't been caught and that the young lady isn't aware of what could happen, she thought by filling out the papers incorrectly that no one would ever find out
Jan 8, 2009
685 posts
309 upvotes
GTA
Carlamalatestaaa wrote:
May 10th, 2018 4:01 pm
She already received $$ that a full time student would get for OSAP. The friend who told me about the situation said she hasn't been caught and that the young lady isn't aware of what could happen, she thought by filling out the papers incorrectly that no one would ever find out
OSAP will find her out and reassess and she'll owe them money plus be banned from receiving any more money. Don't worry about it. OSAP will take care of the situation. It just sometimes takes the school fully verifying things before they do - and they do handle things retroactively.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
3384 posts
1267 upvotes
If one has received OSAP in the past, should he/she continue to apply even if getting nothing (due to receiving some major scholarships) ? just to keep the OSAP status for later year(s) if needed? How does one apply if their school year start June 1? the OSAP website would categorize summer with 2017-2018 academic year and not with 2018-2019.
May 19, 2015
633 posts
219 upvotes
mkl38s wrote:
May 11th, 2018 8:45 am
If one has received OSAP in the past, should he/she continue to apply even if getting nothing (due to receiving some major scholarships) ? just to keep the OSAP status for later year(s) if needed? How does one apply if their school year start June 1? the OSAP website would categorize summer with 2017-2018 academic year and not with 2018-2019.
You would need to report all scholarships. You won’t get much depending on how much scholarships you get but you might still qualify for some grants. As for starting in June as the fin aid office at the school they will direct you on how to fill Osap out.

Jun 8, 2016
62 posts
21 upvotes
is OSAP really free? I meet the requirement b/c of the income of less then 50k.
Jun 1, 2017
221 posts
139 upvotes
Hey this is my first time I'm applying for OSAP.

I'm a mature student, 25 and I applied last week for a course that starts in September. I am applying first for OSAP before I apply for school because I can't afford to throw away 100$ on the application process right now.

How long should it take for them to tell me if I'm approved or not? I'm on their website and the only things I'm waiting on are my children's documents (birth certificates) to go through and monetary information to be uploaded such as how much I'm getting. The stuff that's completed is my declarations for my wife and I, my verification process that OSAP does and schooling application.

I have less then steller credit but I am rebuilding and I only have 1 collection on my account (paid) within 3 years which OSAP says needs to be less than 1000 which it is. I'm just stressing out about if I'm going to get denied or not about my credit score (my TU is much higher than my EQ).

Any advice ? I know it's only been a little bit but I'm so impatient.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46676 posts
12699 upvotes
SignedA wrote:
May 11th, 2018 9:07 am
You would need to report all scholarships. You won’t get much depending on how much scholarships you get but you might still qualify for some grants. As for starting in June as the fin aid office at the school they will direct you on how to fill Osap out.
Are bursaries also considered scholarships?

=====

If we are waiting for a possible offer by mid-June, would it be okay to defer OSAP application until ee hear back?

We accepted an offer but since June 15 is just a few weeks away, maybe it's best to just wait.
May 19, 2015
633 posts
219 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 6:17 pm
Are bursaries also considered scholarships?

=====

If we are waiting for a possible offer by mid-June, would it be okay to defer OSAP application until ee hear back?

We accepted an offer but since June 15 is just a few weeks away, maybe it's best to just wait.
Yes bursaries count. If you click the question mark next to the scholarship box in Osap you’ll see it’s basically asking you to fill out box 150 on your tax return which is all scholarships, awards, bursaries etc.

I thought Osap depended on which program and school you’re in? Could have changed though.

Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46676 posts
12699 upvotes
It does. We linked the OUAC to OSAP when registering and we do see the universities but I would rather wait to find out about the final decision from univ A than start the process for univ B.
Mar 6, 2015
330 posts
20 upvotes
NoPistons wrote:
May 28th, 2018 6:03 am
Hey this is my first time I'm applying for OSAP.
I'm a mature student, 25 and I applied last week for a course that starts in September. I am applying first for OSAP before I apply for school because I can't afford to throw away 100$ on the application process right now.
How long should it take for them to tell me if I'm approved or not?
Any advice ? I know it's only been a little bit but I'm so impatient.
It usually takes just about more than 1 month, about 5 weeks.
My question, how is the status of owing OSAP money called? It is not defaulting.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
May 8, 2018
69 posts
3 upvotes
to being school in sept. when should i apply for osap ? is it now ?
May 8, 2018
69 posts
3 upvotes
and usually when will be the time they say how much you are borrow?