Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

May 19, 2015
604 posts
206 upvotes
Tonykph wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 10:17 pm
and usually when will be the time they say how much you are borrow?
You will get an OSAP estimate of how much will be given to you. Won't be confirmed until school confirms you're enrolled I believe at which point you will get money late Sept or early Oct (alternatively check with your fin aid office for specific timeline). You should be able to defer payment d/t OSAP, but deposits do not count for deferral.
Tonykph wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 10:17 pm
to being school in sept. when should i apply for osap ? is it now ?
Yes
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
May 8, 2018
69 posts
3 upvotes
it saids i should get an estimate in early june, but i still havent get an estimate, is something wrong ?
Mar 30, 2018
21 posts
10 upvotes
I am a Canadian resident and I've been in Ontario since I've moved here when I was 8.

But I just submitted my application, and it said "Based on your answers, you're not an ontario resident." The residency questions are so confusing Dizzy Face

Should I delete it and resubmit it? Or should I provide documentation to prove that I am?
Mar 6, 2015
329 posts
20 upvotes
SignedA wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 10:05 pm
Tonykph wrote: ↑
to being school in sept. when should i apply for osap ? is it now ?
Yes
Even if the student is returning for the second year?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
May 19, 2015
604 posts
206 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 1:52 am
Even if the student is returning for the second year?
I always applied early but I believe the timelines might have changed recently, so I guess applying a bit later is okay. personally I wanted to make sure I had my funding in early to mid Sept so I applied as early as I could. If the funding isn't as urgent, you have until even the end of the year to apply (4 weeks after the last day of classes I believe it was)

Mar 6, 2015
329 posts
20 upvotes
SignedA wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 11:31 am
I always applied early but I believe the timelines might have changed recently, so I guess applying a bit later is okay. personally I wanted to make sure I had my funding in early to mid Sept so I applied as early as I could. If the funding isn't as urgent, you have until even the end of the year to apply (4 weeks after the last day of classes I believe it was)
Thanks. I believe applying early is a good habit and having advice such as yours is fortunate.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
May 19, 2015
604 posts
206 upvotes
DavidM14478 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2018 1:05 am
Hey guys, a couple questions...
I have received OSAP in the past (2012), will I still have a credit check run on me ?
By this time, would I already have been notified if I have failed the credit check ?
The checklist on my account shows everything as "Done" except for "Application Form". I have been assuming this means that I have already passed everything and am just waiting for the exact amount !
Can somebody please shed some light and possibly help me out lol ?
Call OSAP. Also why is application form not complete? How can you get funding if your forms aren’t done? I don’t believe there’s a credit check but if you received funding previously things might be different for mature students. I doubt you’ve been approved if your forms aren’t in. They don’t process anything until signature pages are in, and even if they gave you an estimate it’s pending final approval when your forms are in.

Jul 14, 2018
8 posts
4 upvotes
How accurate is the new OSAP Calculator?

As a "mature student" it seems to give you a base amount of $6.3k grants for a business/engineering program that's $10k tuition even if you put in $25k/yr income and $500k assets. That can't possibly be accurate, can it?
Aug 15, 2007
520 posts
51 upvotes
Estimator seems pretty spot on at least for me, I've been approved with release dates for my grants and loans after failing to get Second Career funding (which IMHO is only as good as your counselor is).

I'm planning on getting a LOC from BMO for emergency loans for my studies and living expenses.
Aug 2, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
My daughter is applying for OSAP and it won't accept the parent page as it wants my EI and CPP contributions. However I don't work so don't have to contribute. (I am almost 65) I have tried leaving it blank, putting in zero, and erasing the whole app twice. Nothing works. Can anyone help?
Last edited by Coffeebeane on Aug 3rd, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 2, 2018
14 posts
Has there been any update in the last week on your OSAP estimates, etc? I haven't had an update since July 23......or do I just have to wait until September?
Aug 2, 2018
14 posts
guy1001 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2018 9:02 pm
How accurate is the new OSAP Calculator?

As a "mature student" it seems to give you a base amount of $6.3k grants for a business/engineering program that's $10k tuition even if you put in $25k/yr income and $500k assets. That can't possibly be accurate, can it?
I question this myself - before applying i used the calculators and estimators and it appeared that I could get around $2500 in grants and then the rest up to $9000 in a loan. However, now that I have applied and am waiting for an estimate, the estimate (within the application) gives me a big fat $0. I'm not sure what to believe.

I'll be completing a Masters part-time while working at my FT job. While I make a decent amount it's nothing to write home about and I can't pay for school out of pocket without feeling a little broke.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46016 posts
12322 upvotes
Got a decision a few weeks ago that my daughter will not be getting any funding from OSAP and she is going to be living in residence.

Oh well...We'll give the review process a shot.

Reviews
Depending on your situation, you can ask for a review of the financial aid you are eligible to receive.

Some examples include:

you have unanticipated financial difficulties
you’re unable to make your expected contributions
you’ve experienced a family breakdown since submitting your application
you’re not progressing academically due to circumstances beyond your control
you’ve declared bankruptcy
To start a review: you need to meet with your financial aid office.

Some reviews have a form that must be completed:

adjustments to local transportation costs
living cost allowance
income contribution levels
asking for a review of your credit check
Go to Forms on Ontario.ca/osap to find the form you need:

Request for Review: Adjust Local Travel in Study Period
Request for Review: Adjust Living Allowance
Request for Review: Student Fixed Contribution
Credit Check Review
Review request deadline

You need to submit a request for a review 40 days before the end of your study period.

Situations that do not qualify for a review:

you’ve received the maximum amount of aid
your parent(s) arbitrarily refuse to contribute to your education-related costs
your citizenship status
requests past the deadline
Jul 14, 2018
8 posts
4 upvotes
orca15 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2018 4:35 pm
I question this myself - before applying i used the calculators and estimators and it appeared that I could get around $2500 in grants and then the rest up to $9000 in a loan. However, now that I have applied and am waiting for an estimate, the estimate (within the application) gives me a big fat $0. I'm not sure what to believe.

I'll be completing a Masters part-time while working at my FT job. While I make a decent amount it's nothing to write home about and I can't pay for school out of pocket without feeling a little broke.
Wow that's really crappy. How high is your salary? I'm really worried my assets will prevent me from getting grants, if so ill need to figure out some way to hide my money.
Dec 18, 2017
7 posts
Hi guys I have a question,

In my initial OSAP application, I selected an option for the funds to be released to be released to pay what leftover tuition fees are due for my college. I paid a $500 deposit fee to George Brown College today & later in the day I paid with my credit card the remaining balance for the Fall 18/Winter 19 term (the entire year of tuition and fees). Because I paid all the fees, will OSAP recognize that and when it is time for my funds to be released just direct the funding to my account?

Thanks in advance