Osap tips/advice/questions

Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
3066 posts
878 upvotes
frenchpressd94 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 12:14 am
Hi guys I have a question,

In my initial OSAP application, I selected an option for the funds to be released to be released to pay what leftover tuition fees are due for my college. I paid a $500 deposit fee to George Brown College today & later in the day I paid with my credit card the remaining balance for the Fall 18/Winter 19 term (the entire year of tuition and fees). Because I paid all the fees, will OSAP recognize that and when it is time for my funds to be released just direct the funding to my account?

Thanks in advance
My guess is OSAP will just deposit the money into your account at school regardless. My daughter has scholarship of free tuition fee and yet every year, her bursary kept going into her account and it became surplus. You just have to request the school to issue you a cheque or if you have direct deposit, it will transfer the fund to your bank, but you need to request it.
Jan 8, 2009
679 posts
306 upvotes
GTA
mkl38s wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 7:15 am
My guess is OSAP will just deposit the money into your account at school regardless. My daughter has scholarship of free tuition fee and yet every year, her bursary kept going into her account and it became surplus. You just have to request the school to issue you a cheque or if you have direct deposit, it will transfer the fund to your bank, but you need to request it.
Agreed. If you choose for the money to go to the school, it goes to the school. You have to choose the option that says deposit to my bank account.
Aug 2, 2018
14 posts
guy1001 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 9:46 am
Wow that's really crappy. How high is your salary? I'm really worried my assets will prevent me from getting grants, if so ill need to figure out some way to hide my money.
Without giving away specifics it is around the Canadian total median income ;) I live alone (rent is freaking expensive), plus paying for my car and save quite a bit of my money. I may just need to redirect some of my future RRSP/TFSA investment money towards school but it would be nice to have some room for any random expenses to breathe while still saving aggressively and meeting my targets.

I may end up going to RBC for a SLOC - in my initial meeting with them they said I'd be a good candidate for get a $10k loan (more than enough for me) without a co-signor. I'm not sure what to do but the obvious answer is "don't pay interest, just pay for school and avoid the loan"
Feb 24, 2018
124 posts
37 upvotes
So on a 2018-19 application, you DON'T need to report any income from a part-time job you had earlier in 2018?

It asked for line 150 of my 2017 tax return but I see no field to add how much I made earlier in the year during 2018.
Oct 21, 2013
123 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
Sorry it is hard to wade through 500 pages.. My actual OSAP was several thousand lower than my estimate. I am just wondering do they only take in 2017 income into consideration? I am an older student, married with 2 kids under 2. My wife just started maternity leave this past week. So our income in 2017 was reasonable (not super high though, lower than average Ontario family income), but going into school this fall we will have zero income aside from EI+child care cheques+OSAP. My program is a condensed professional program and they strongly recommend not working during the program due to high class workload + shadowing required. Tuition is around 14k and there are living expenses on top of that.

Anyways, I am thinking about doing a review but not sure if it will change anything.
Aug 14, 2018
1 posts
Hey guys,
I'm doing a 6th year of undergraduate studies. I had hoped to graduate last year after finishing up some courses but my last year of studies proved to be a less than ideal one. I was dealing with alot of health issues and familial issues involving declining health and death of a loved one, as well as moving cities. For this reason, my grades were affected and i was unable to write the final exam for a course, effectively pushing the exam to the next year. As a result, my academic counselor recommended doing an extra year to boost my average. As well, I had a change in career path from medicine to dentistry, and require to take 2 full year courses. OSAP just got back to me and declined me funding, is there anything I can do?
Mar 8, 2009
616 posts
22 upvotes
Hey everyone

Long time RFD supporter, just back on the site.

Back to school this year and long story short:

Had an OSAP loan from 2010/11. Paid in full in 2014/15.

Have a restriction for income variance from that loan year.

Wrote a letter and got docs from NSLSC saying previous loan was paid in full. All my doc's have been uploaded to OSAP website for review so the income variance restriction can be lifted.

Question:

How long does it take for the review, who completes the review??

Thanks!
Independent Contract Collection Agent

Collection Question? Querry? Myth?
Solve it here:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/coll ... ad-809943/
Mar 8, 2009
616 posts
22 upvotes
Donomight25 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 5:21 pm
Hey everyone

Long time RFD supporter, just back on the site.

Back to school this year and long story short:

Had an OSAP loan from 2010/11. Paid in full in 2014/15.

Have a restriction for income variance from that loan year.

Wrote a letter and got docs from NSLSC saying previous loan was paid in full. All my doc's have been uploaded to OSAP website for review so the income variance restriction can be lifted.

Question:

How long does it take for the review, who completes the review??

Thanks!
NSLSC sent docs proving my last loan was paid in full, uploaded those to OSAP website. Informed my financial aid office and OSAP updated the application.
Independent Contract Collection Agent

Collection Question? Querry? Myth?
Solve it here:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/coll ... ad-809943/
Jul 14, 2018
8 posts
4 upvotes
Since OSAP says not to report money your parents gave you to help with education costs... Couldn't you claim all your money is from that to get more grants?
Aug 25, 2018
3 posts
Hi

I applied for two year program in a college. The program will start from september 2018. I received an offer of Admission on 23rd of Augus 2018t. I would like to apply for OSAP but college told me it is very late to apply for OSAP. So they told me that I have to pay the fee from my own pocket and later I will be reimburse from OSAP. But my question is if I will pay the tuition fee from my own pocket and I will not get OSAP funding for any reason, what my options will be.
May 19, 2015
584 posts
194 upvotes
Mohdali4 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2018 8:59 pm
Hi

I applied for two year program in a college. The program will start from september 2018. I received an offer of Admission on 23rd of Augus 2018t. I would like to apply for OSAP but college told me it is very late to apply for OSAP. So they told me that I have to pay the fee from my own pocket and later I will be reimburse from OSAP. But my question is if I will pay the tuition fee from my own pocket and I will not get OSAP funding for any reason, what my options will be.
OSAP isn't guaranteed. Your option would be to appeal the decision with OSAP or pay for college out of pocket and then apply again next year.
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Aug 31, 2018
2 posts
Question , so I just applied for Osap on the 20th because of some family issues wasnt sure if I would be able to attend school this year( mu first year of college ) As a permanent resident with dependants and a spouse i was required to submit birth certificates , proof of immigration etc . My funding was calculated rather quickly , and my information wad verified ( sin etc )
It says now that the school must confirm my enrollment and thats all thats left , However when I check my uploaded documents only two were approved ( my spouses agreement and my msfaa ) my other documents have not been approved yet.Because of the speed in verifying my information i was hoping somehow my application was being processed quickly as my classe start next week and they require some rather expensive pieces of hardware.
Is it possible somehow my application is being processed speedily or do you think im still in for the long run ?
Jan 8, 2009
679 posts
306 upvotes
GTA
QadeerP4208 wrote:
Sep 1st, 2018 4:57 pm
Is it possible somehow my application is being processed speedily or do you think im still in for the long run ?
I would not count on your application being processed in time to cover the items needed. If all that is left is the confirmation of enrollment then that's a good sign but that won't happen until school actually starts. Can you cover the items yourself until your OSAP arrives? If not, I would contact the school's financial office and explain your situation. They may have a bursary you're eligible for or even a short-term loan sort of thing you can apply for while waiting.
Aug 31, 2018
2 posts
I am trying to borrow some money from family / friends to help me purchase atleast some of the things required( namely a high end laptop) I intend to speak to the financial aid officer on Tuesday to see what can be done. Thanks for the advice :)
Sep 6, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes
Hello,
Im in my 2nd year & applied for OSAP in July & allI had to submit were my children's birth certs so I did & it says the date they were submitted, & then a couple weeks ago I got a message saying my funding was calculated & that I can expect the payment between Sept 7 & 11 & so I checked my status recently & it says my OSAP says that is on hold because I need to submit documents & gives me the option to click to see what documents I need. Then I do so, & it says I have no documents I need to submit. So its super confusing & I tried to reach Finacial Aid at the school but its so busy with school starting that the phone is always busy signal or no answer or your on hold for hours. Anyone else have this message on their status?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)