Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

Sep 2, 2015
119 posts
26 upvotes
East York, ON
Yes, mine says it's released (but it's not in my bank account yet)
Dec 30, 2018
2 posts
Ontario
Spoke to Osap and nslsc, funds were released Dec 27. Waiting for the deposit, she said it should be in my account Thursday or Friday, Monday at the latest.
Jun 27, 2018
4 posts
3 upvotes
Hello,

Can I repeat a course from 1st year when I am on osap probation (1st stage) or do I need to take new courses? I am in my 4th year, thanks!
May 10, 2017
7 posts
My status doesn't actually say the words "Ready to be Released or Released".
It just says : "Your school has confirmed that you are enrolled in full-time studies. Your money will be deposited into your bank account on the estimated date above."
Estimated release date: Jan 4/19 - Jan 8/19

I really hope to receive the funds by this Friday so I can buy some of the pricier textbooks and equipment for my program. Last year had no issues with receiving funds on time, but this year I'm worried about delays due to slight changes with osap paying the tuition directly before having the remainder deposited to me.

Has anyone ever received their funds BEFORE the estimated release date?
Jun 1, 2017
225 posts
141 upvotes
Natof999 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:04 am
My status doesn't actually say the words "Ready to be Released or Released".
It just says : "Your school has confirmed that you are enrolled in full-time studies. Your money will be deposited into your bank account on the estimated date above."
Estimated release date: Jan 4/19 - Jan 8/19

I really hope to receive the funds by this Friday so I can buy some of the pricier textbooks and equipment for my program. Last year had no issues with receiving funds on time, but this year I'm worried about delays due to slight changes with osap paying the tuition directly before having the remainder deposited to me.

Has anyone ever received their funds BEFORE the estimated release date?

Osap called me saying that I I have been confirmed for enrollment yesterday even though the website says I was since December 21st and it says the same thing as yours "ready to be released" and now they are saying 10-14 business days after confirmation of enrollment .... So I may have to wait until the 14th.... I need to buy books and pay rent.
Dec 30, 2018
2 posts
Ontario
My entire installment was in my account when I woke up in new years day.
May 10, 2017
7 posts
So I check my Account Summary on banner and it appears that tuition has been paid directly by OSAP and it's showing an amount of $4000 under Term Credits and Payments.
Does this mean that the school must now send it to my bank account?
OR do I have to go to my school's financial AID office and request those funds to be released from my student account?
Nov 22, 2017
277 posts
151 upvotes
Natof999 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 5:38 am
So I check my Account Summary on banner and it appears that tuition has been paid directly by OSAP and it's showing an amount of $4000 under Term Credits and Payments.
Does this mean that the school must now send it to my bank account?
OR do I have to go to my school's financial AID office and request those funds to be released from my student account?
Yes, if you have a negative balance you have to contact your school to reimburse you. Usually they send a cheque. On some schools you can do it directly online from the portal.
Mar 13, 2019
1 posts
I need some advice.

Long story short.

I was in college and funded through osap.

Semester ran from Sept to dec.
My mom became very I'll with cancer in November
My program coordinator advised me to withdraw in November to be with my mom
The very same day I went to withdraw, I was just about to sign the papers, literally had them and the pen in my hand in the coordinators office, my family called to tell me to get to the hospital. My mom passed away a few hours later.

I withdrew 2 days later.

The next semester starting in January
I re enrolled
Osap only gave me 800 dollars which was no where near what I was expecting or needed.
I asked them about it
Basically in the end they told me that a family member passing away (my mom) was not a legit reason to drop out of school and that I should have kept the money I had from the previous semester- tho I only withdrew a month before the semester ended... not much money was left from the loan.

I was still responsible for paying the tuition which I couldn't afford. I couldn't attend my program which was my final year and which also was the final year of the program as the curriculum would change after that and making most of my courses ineligible for the program had I not finished that year like I was supposed to but had not.

Now the tuition I owed has gone to collections and I have a big student loan debt to pay with no education to show for it. My financial life has been screwed over because of the mean woman working at the college representing osap.

Is there anything I can do?
Apr 23, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
Hi there.

Here is our case:
My wife received Loan + Grants + Student Opportunity Grant.
Now grace period is over and we need to start paying back the remaining of the loan.
Our financial situation has improved and we could now pay off remaining loan in one payment.
My worry is that maybe by doing so I can harm ourselves?
Is it possible that if we pay of our dept right away our funding might be recalculated and our grants will be converted into a loan? (logic is since we are doing financially OK now to be able to close our debt, then maybe someone can say we don't really need that grant?)
If you think closing the debt right away should be safe, is there anything written somewhere to state that?
Or maybe someone had a similar situation and this proved to be safe?
Will be grateful for replies.

Thank you
Jul 17, 2008
222 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
Armenak wrote:
Apr 24th, 2019 3:54 pm
Hi there.

Here is our case:
Now grace period is over and we need to start paying back the remaining of the loan.
Our financial situation has improved and we could now pay off remaining loan in one payment.
Is it possible that if we pay of our dept right away our funding might be recalculated and our grants will be converted into a loan? (logic is since we are doing financially OK now to be able to close our debt, then maybe someone can say we don't really need that grant?)
If you think closing the debt right away should be safe, is there anything written somewhere to state that?

Thank you
I plan to do the exact same thing. Wife will be finishing in Dec 2019 and then immediately pay in full. The funding recalculates only if your income/course load changes.
Jun 12, 2008
713 posts
154 upvotes
Ripley
Armenak wrote:
Apr 24th, 2019 3:54 pm
Hi there.

Here is our case:

Thank you
Paid it the day after classes finished. Interest accumulates even during the grace period so call in to the NSLSC before you pay it to find out the exact amount you owe.
Mar 6, 2015
386 posts
24 upvotes
Question: I can tell I am going to have some surplus money by the end of this term. Shall I invest in TFSA or RRSP? If so, how will my next OSAP application be affected in most situations?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Jun 12, 2008
713 posts
154 upvotes
Ripley
cybercavalier wrote:
May 16th, 2019 11:25 pm
Question: I can tell I am going to have some surplus money by the end of this term. Shall I invest in TFSA or RRSP? If so, how will my next OSAP application be affected in most situations?
If you are a student and have no other income then you don't want to invest in an RRSP. You don't need the tax break and you can't easily take the money out to pay back your loan.