• Aug 3rd, 2015 5:05 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 15, 2009
487 posts
52 upvotes

Is Oshawa considered a good city ?

Hi !
I am from montreal but working for the next two months in Oshawa. I like the city this far, I saw a park, beach, golf club and nice houses.

Is Oshawa considered a nice city ? One person told me yes, another said no since gm moved an assembly plant. Just wondering if its going downhill like detroit in a lot smaller scale.

Thanks !!
13 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
Good is subjective. What do you look for in a city?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2583 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't call it Detroit, but the declining auto industry has been affecting the local economy. This is one reason Real Estate values are lower than the rest of the GTA. The good news is that Toronto, where there is a large diversity of jobs in many fields(something Detroit doesn't have), is within commuting range.
Sep 15, 2010
868 posts
463 upvotes
Kawartha Lakes
hahahahahahaha......no.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1864 posts
1172 upvotes
GTA
It is ever-changing and there was once a strong negative connotation associated with Oshawa (aka "the 'shwa"). However, it has changed drastically in recent years from a real estate perspective and it is a great place to make a first home purchase for a larger home (smaller lot) for a lower price than other areas in Durham and the outskirts of the GTA.

There is still a strong negative with South Oshawa, which is an older section, known for some "bad parts" and not a lot of development.

The newer areas are closer to the upcoming 407, greenspace, big box shopping and brand new mega shopping mall.

I would say it is a great time to consider Oshawa as many MANY people are now heading even further east to Courtice, Bowmanville, Cobourg, etc....

(One downfall will always be the tax rates in Durham, but it's not a massive deterrent, just something to consider).
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
Oct 27, 2012
406 posts
396 upvotes
Shwa
If you don't have teeth or a job then you'll fit right in. Lol

Its just like any other suburb, has crappy areas (downtown), and nicer areas by the lake and in poshawa
Mar 15, 2009
487 posts
52 upvotes
loriblum wrote: It is ever-changing and there was once a strong negative connotation associated with Oshawa (aka "the 'shwa"). However, it has changed drastically in recent years from a real estate perspective and it is a great place to make a first home purchase for a larger home (smaller lot) for a lower price than other areas in Durham and the outskirts of the GTA.

There is still a strong negative with South Oshawa, which is an older section, known for some "bad parts" and not a lot of development.

The newer areas are closer to the upcoming 407, greenspace, big box shopping and brand new mega shopping mall.

I would say it is a great time to consider Oshawa as many MANY people are now heading even further east to Courtice, Bowmanville, Cobourg, etc....

(One downfall will always be the tax rates in Durham, but it's not a massive deterrent, just something to consider).
Thanks, great info ! That was my next question. I see the huge project of the 407, but it doesnt seem to budge much. In fact I see machineries but no workers. Who loose money, the public (tax payers) or a private (snc lavalin) ? It looks like a mess.

Also, any dinners, 'live music or place I should try while I am here ?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1864 posts
1172 upvotes
GTA
Don't be fooled... the 407 is a slow but moving process! Give it time ;)

Restaurants... honestly, I don't go to the 'shwa looking for fine dining, but if given the choice, I would go to Mexico Lindo in a heartbeat (when craving Mexican!)
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2007
1324 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto is meh but people still want to live there so it's all relative...
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Biff88 wrote: I wouldn't call it Detroit, but the declining auto industry has been affecting the local economy. This is one reason Real Estate values are lower than the rest of the GTA. The good news is that Toronto, where there is a large diversity of jobs in many fields(something Detroit doesn't have), is within commuting range.
I wouldn't call Toronto within "commuting range".
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8554 posts
11764 upvotes
GTA
mr_raider wrote: I wouldn't call Toronto within "commuting range".
It's not really, but people have been doing it for decades now. It's about 50-70km one way depending on where in Toronto you work. A lot of people take the GO train to downtown (1 hour each way, 40 mins if you get the express). There are a lot of people that work in Toronto that live even farther away (Courtice, Bowmanville). Most of the jobs are in the Toronto area but the houses cause way too much (2 or 3 time as much).
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2583 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
I won't give you a hard time because I see that your are located in Montreal :)
But yes of course it is within commuting range. 4 people working in my company live in the "Shwa". And as a matter of fact some more co workers live in Bowmanville and there is one more from Port hope which is even farther east.

The commutes in the GTA are getting longer and longer but a necessary evil. I sure am glad to live in 416 myself though.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
I won't bitch about my 12 km drive. :D

All I rember is driving in to Toronto, Oshawa is a long way before downtown.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1420 posts
323 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
Must be different over there in Quebec. 2 hours each way is considered acceptable in the GTA. Hell some of the Steelmen on my job live in Collingwood/Kitchener/Orillia and drive to Toronto every day.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)