Art and Photography

OT - viewing angle / sweet spot on Wide frame glasses?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2012 6:39 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3786 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal

OT - viewing angle / sweet spot on Wide frame glasses?

a bit offtopic, I figure if anyone knows this, is people here.

I've been wearing glasses that are fairly "wide" rather than round, for about 3 years. (as is/was in style). From the moment I first tried these on , I noticed I have to move my neck to maintain full clarity; if I move my eyes only, looking through edges of the lens/frame (inner & router), the image is less clear.

I've sort of gotten used to it, but Its still somewhat annoying and make me hate large computer monitors, and makes me move my neck a heck of a lot more than I'd like.

Anyway, I'm on my 2nd "wide" pair and its just dawned on me that the reason my older frames didn't do this is because of the shape of the lens, one way or another. My older pair (less wide, also less large overall) actually practically had CLEARER vision when moving your eyes to see using the edges of the lens/frame.

I'm ready to move back to any lens type or shape that doesn't have this effect; any tips on this?
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Does your prescription have a second line of numbers for close up vision?
If so, you can have a pair made for computer use only, out of the close up portion, specified for about 18" distance.
This will work much better across the frame, but be useless for distance.

If your not at that age related stage of vision, then I am puzzled, because a simple lens for wide or narrow frames is cut from the same spherical blank. Only if it becomes thick at the edge does clarity reduce, and this can be countered with a costlier high-refracting blank.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3786 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal
Should have mentioned that I'm only myopic, that would have been relevant, lol. There's also a correction for astigmatism in the lens, but its minor.

The lens does get thicker near the edges of the frame. You think its this?
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
cloneman wrote: Should have mentioned that I'm only myopic, that would have been relevant, lol. There's also a correction for astigmatism in the lens, but its minor.

The lens does get thicker near the edges of the frame. You think its this?
That could be it. I have a similar prescription and have used hi-refracting Crizal (from Esilor) lenses with no problems.I got them at Costco.

My glasses run to about $450 with frames, but that's a bifocal myopic w/astigmatism correction.
I believe some shops still offer plain hardened glass at a lower cost, and it is fairly thin at the edge, but slightly heavier than Crizal.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)