• Mar 15th, 2019 6:29 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 3, 2009
195 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto

OTA antenna

Hoping for some help. Cutting the cord with cogeco cable and looking for best set up....

1) switching from cogeco internet to virgin internet
2) getting a HDHomeRun 2 tuner

Now looking for best OTA antenna (placing in attic) for the price and best coaxial cable (100 ft) . I’m in Oakville just north of qew.

Any help and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by zackattack on Nov 25th, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5308 posts
2331 upvotes
Winnipeg
wrong forum...expect the downvotes...
[OP]
Mar 3, 2009
195 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Wpegger wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 1:08 pm
wrong forum...expect the downvotes...
Ok let me see which forum to change to, indicating which forum would’ve been helpful as well...
[OP]
Mar 3, 2009
195 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
AMD wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 2:07 pm
I have the same antenna in my attic and works great. (I also have a Channel Master signal amplifier.)

You should post in this kind of question in the Home and Garden forum.
Thanks AMD for the information and I made the switch 👍🏼
Apr 17, 2015
202 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Primecables.ca had some good options and prices.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6446 posts
1229 upvotes
I recently just did the same thing. I have maybe $160 total investment into my setup including the linked antenna, 100ft of cable, 2 x 25ft cables, and a distribution amplifier. Wired into my existing cable runs so the bedroom and living room each tune in their own run.

https://www.amazon.ca/1byone-Amplified- ... ref=plSrch

I am in Cobourg, antenna mounted outside my son's window for easy access about 20ft above ground level. I could get higher if I went up to the next roof, but I am doing okay so far, I think. I might try ganging another one of the same pointed east to see if I can combine some more channels. However that is waiting for better weather.

This is about the best I have done with perfect conditions. Which believe it or not seems to be overcast and raining.

Jun 7, 2009
198 posts
243 upvotes
Why would anyone buy coax cable for the antenna when you have a HomeRun? The whole point of using the HomeRun is you can run ethernet and have the tuner right next to your antenna... so you don't have to worry about the signal degrading over 50ft+ runs of coax!

There's a whole bunch of different programs and apps capable of watching TV from the HomeRun, but there aren't as many programs designed to record. I was a huge fan of Windows Media Center for the past decade, but have started progressing over to Plex. The price of the Plex Pass is well worth it for the ease of just getting the correct guide data reliably and the ability to schedule a recording when I'm not at home. Love that it's cross platform and works on Macs. It still needs a bit of polish, it's only a couple years old, but its strengths far out number its weaknesses.

There's no such thing as an HD antenna! Any old pair of rabbit ears will work. Line of sight (to the transmission tower) is the most important thing in setting up an antenna. The $5 'square' antenna from Prime Cables is awesome, but if you need something bigger the $20 'fishbone' is a good choice. I'm in Toronto and find any amplification is actually more of a detriment since so many of my signals are already strongly received.

https://www.primecables.ca/p-356273-cab ... #sku364157
https://www.primecables.ca/p-367893-cab ... or-antenna

Bought an iOS app called Signal GH for a couple bucks and it's an amazing companion to HomeRuns. Gives a map with tower locations on it (so you figure out where to aim) and a really nice bar graph -in real time- you can use to position your antenna for the best reception.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6446 posts
1229 upvotes
matt2_m416 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 2:59 pm
Why would anyone buy coax cable for the antenna when you have a HomeRun? The whole point of using the HomeRun is you can run ethernet and have the tuner right next to your antenna... so you don't have to worry about the signal degrading over 50ft+ runs of coax!

There's a whole bunch of different programs and apps capable of watching TV from the HomeRun, but there aren't as many programs designed to record. I was a huge fan of Windows Media Center for the past decade, but have started progressing over to Plex. The price of the Plex Pass is well worth it for the ease of just getting the correct guide data reliably and the ability to schedule a recording when I'm not at home. Love that it's cross platform and works on Macs. It still needs a bit of polish, it's only a couple years old, but its strengths far out number its weaknesses.

There's no such thing as an HD antenna! Any old pair of rabbit ears will work. Line of sight (to the transmission tower) is the most important thing in setting up an antenna. The $5 'square' antenna from Prime Cables is awesome, but if you need something bigger the $20 'fishbone' is a good choice. I'm in Toronto and find any amplification is actually more of a detriment since so many of my signals are already strongly received.

https://www.primecables.ca/p-356273-cab ... #sku364157
https://www.primecables.ca/p-367893-cab ... or-antenna

Bought an iOS app called Signal GH for a couple bucks and it's an amazing companion to HomeRuns. Gives a map with tower locations on it (so you figure out where to aim) and a really nice bar graph -in real time- you can use to position your antenna for the best reception.
I wanted less devices, not more. that's the only reason I used the existing cabling in the house. Otherwise, I am sure the HomeRuns are a great option.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6446 posts
1229 upvotes
Well this thread just cost me $30. I was on primecables buying batteries for the kids Christmas toys, and ended buying 2 of the fishbone antennas. As it was 20% off for cyber Monday, plus that put me into free shipping, so they basically cost me $30 for the 2 of them.

I am going to try to gang them in the spring to see if I can the channels from the south east that are out there. Right now I am aimed at basically 200 degrees, but I would like another antenna pointed at 100 to 120. There are a bunch more channels out that way I am currently missing.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1859 posts
532 upvotes
Any more suggestions for a good indoor antenna? Is there even such a thing as a good indoor antenna?

We had to replace our old TV with a new one, but we are still using the same indoor antenna. However, this brand new TV only receives 8 channels with this antenna. We used to catch way more stations with the old TV including some American channels from Buffalo. Since we got the new TV, we haven't been able to catch an American signal. Not even one single US channel. :(
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6446 posts
1229 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 10:53 am
Any more suggestions for a good indoor antenna? Is there even such a thing as a good indoor antenna?

We had to replace our old TV with a new one, but we are still using the same indoor antenna. However, this brand new TV only receives 8 channels with this antenna. We used to catch way more stations with the old TV including some American channels from Buffalo. Since we got the new TV, we haven't been able to catch an American signal. Not even one single US channel. :(
Unfortunately tuners vary between TV manufactures, so this is common that you will get different amounts on differ TVs.

Oddly enough, I seem to get better tuning out of my off brand TVs in my house than with my main Samsung 8 series.

IF you want more, I think you need to go outside. I went from 4 channels with an inside antenna, to up to 50 ( but average a solid 30+ ) channels with a cheap directional outdoor antenna, not even mounted on my roof.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Chew