Automotive

Other than import fees are there any issues with importing an electric vehicle from Europe or from elsewhere?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2017 12:50 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1240 posts
92 upvotes
East York, ON

Other than import fees are there any issues with importing an electric vehicle from Europe or from elsewhere?

Before there were emission standards that a vehicle will have to pass
Since the electric cars do not have emission problems what other factors can come into play when you are importing an electric car from Europe or US or from anywhere else ?
7 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10134 posts
6434 upvotes
Edmonton
It will still have to conform to Canadian safety regulations and transport Canada rules. And Tesla has put their current cars (Model S and Model X) on the "Do Not Import" list:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/ ... MOTORS.htm

Someone who was importing a Tesla from Eastern Canada to BC suggested it was because they didn't want to be responsible for the software and licensing issues. But for whatever reason, you can buy a Tesla in Canada, you just can't import one.

So basically, the same kind of stuff as you'd have with a regular car, with the exception of emissions testing.

C
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4738 posts
640 upvotes
Calgary
ABS, DRL, seatbelts etc etc
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2688 upvotes
ON
European ports may be different than NA ports (depends on country, I believe).
You'd need an adapter, or a european EVSE at home (the latter would limit you from using any public charging) or change the port out with NA part.

Random google image, first I could find with them side by side:

Note for CCS (fast charging) the top is the same, just adds two fat pins at the bottom. So you'd also not be able to use CCS.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
13170 posts
9752 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Not gonna happen. Safety regulations are different.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1240 posts
92 upvotes
East York, ON
CNeufeld wrote: It will still have to conform to Canadian safety regulations and transport Canada rules. And Tesla has put their current cars (Model S and Model X) on the "Do Not Import" list:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/ ... MOTORS.htm

Someone who was importing a Tesla from Eastern Canada to BC suggested it was because they didn't want to be responsible for the software and licensing issues. But for whatever reason, you can buy a Tesla in Canada, you just can't import one.

So basically, the same kind of stuff as you'd have with a regular car, with the exception of emissions testing.

C
This whole thing sucks. If you think twice if the regulations are different here from south of the border none of the sides should allow vehicles to cross from the other side.
If an US visitor vehicle gets on the roads in Canada why can't an imported vehicle do it without all this circus? (I know I know ....it is all about money).
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
193 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
hertz 50Hz vs 60Hz
the SI unit of frequency, equal to one cycle per second
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1240 posts
92 upvotes
East York, ON
I think there is converters for that.... that is the smallest problem that I see here