• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2017 12:40 pm
Tags:
Dec 20, 2012
202 posts
118 upvotes
Brampton

Ottawa for 3 nights... what to do??

I'm going to Ottawa for 3 nights with my gf in mid October.
So other than the Parliament area and the various museums in the area, what else is there to do in the capital city?

Are there beautiful, natural areas that differ from areas in the GTA? (ie: cliffs, mountains, water, etc)...
We don't go clubbing or barhopping.
we enjoy the arts, plays, music, good food, good drinks, people watching, nature, hiking, walking, strolling, etc...........

any suggestions?

thanks
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
JEsco1982 wrote: I'm going to Ottawa for 3 nights with my gf in mid October.
So other than the Parliament area and the various museums in the area, what else is there to do in the capital city?

Are there beautiful, natural areas that differ from areas in the GTA? (ie: cliffs, mountains, water, etc)...
We don't go clubbing or barhopping.
we enjoy the arts, plays, music, good food, good drinks, people watching, nature, hiking, walking, strolling, etc...........

any suggestions?

thanks
The Canada 150 Mosaic is still happening in Jacques-Cartier park until October 15 - might be worth seeing.

Where will you be staying? Downtown?
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Rideau shopping centre.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Mar 16, 2006
276 posts
135 upvotes
Scarborough
Byward Market, Gatineau Hills to see the changing colors
Dec 20, 2012
202 posts
118 upvotes
Brampton
superfresh89 wrote: The Canada 150 Mosaic is still happening in Jacques-Cartier park until October 15 - might be worth seeing.

yes, we're planning to stay near Parliament as it's closer to transit options or easy highway access if we have to drive somewhere further away.

I'm actually watching hotel prices and trying to come across hotels.com coupon codes or other discounts.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
JEsco1982 wrote: yes, we're planning to stay near Parliament as it's closer to transit options or easy highway access if we have to drive somewhere further away.

I'm actually watching hotel prices and trying to come across hotels.com coupon codes or other discounts.
If you've never been to Ottawa then sure, stay downtown and visit the park/Gatineau/Byward Market.

If you're not there to see those things, parking/travelling/transit is much cheaper and can be just as convenient pretty much anywhere else in the city. I'd rather stay near the airport or in Kanata and drive to Gatineau if it were me.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Gatineau park will be nice at that time of year.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1265 posts
986 upvotes
Ottawa
The best thing to do in Ottawa, is to leave, and go to Montreal. :P
This city is freakin boring.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Another vote for Gatineau Park ... Awesome to drive (head to Champlain Lookout), stunning view. But the park is a real joy for Hikers... Lots of trails. Just dress appropriately, and stay on the trails... Get a map at the info centre... And plan your route, time it takes, return to car etc. Ya don't want to end up as THAT PERSON who was lost in the park after dark (someone is it, every season... Not cool).

Scenery in the city... Stroll along the canal.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
jay_w wrote: The best thing to do in Ottawa, is to leave, and go to Montreal. :P
This city is freakin boring.
Why is there always someone like this on seemingly every topic? Ottawa is great, and perhaps you are the boring one?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1265 posts
986 upvotes
Ottawa
Chickinvic wrote: Why is there always someone like this on seemingly every topic? Ottawa is great, and perhaps you are the boring one?
I never said that Ottawa isn't great. But it's definitely not exciting in comparison to other cities in canada.
If you've noticed, the 'fun' has been limited to going to the market, Canada mosaic, Gatineau Park, and Top Karting. Nothing wrong with any of those... good suggestions. However, if this topic was about say, Toronto, or Montreal, there would be 10x the list.
Ottawa is definitley the city that fun forgot.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
jay_w wrote: I never said that Ottawa isn't great. But it's definitely not exciting in comparison to other cities in canada.
If you've noticed, the 'fun' has been limited to going to the market, Canada mosaic, Gatineau Park, and Top Karting. Nothing wrong with any of those... good suggestions. However, if this topic was about say, Toronto, or Montreal, there would be 10x the list.
Ottawa is definitley the city that fun forgot.
Ya but then again... Montreal, Toronto & Vancouver each have about 10x the population, and by the looks of things on this webite WAY MORE than 10x the representation here on RFD.

Definitely part of the reason for less input / shorter list
(not to mention that folks travel to see things that are different from home... Can't see MLB in Montreal, Vancouver or Ottawa, but that does not mean that only Toronto is "fun" cause you can)

Ottawa has great restaurants, historic sites, fantastic museums, gorgeous scenery, art galleries, music festivals, clubs & bars, professional sports, and oh ya... Another Province / City across the river, as well as a National / Federal Park... one can be to in a matter of minutes... Hiking, Biking, Canoeing & Skiing (x-country & downhill) in 20 minutes.

Fun is a subjective term.
Ottawa is a fun town... In a more laid back sort of way
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
Lafleche Park or camp fortune for zip lining and caving.

Parc omega for a drive through zoo with native wildlife.

Le nordik for an outdoor Scandinavian spa.

Gatineau park (Champlain lookout or MacKenzie king estates) for the fall colors.

Any of the Ottawa River or Rideau canal boat tours.

Diefenbunker

There's lots to see and do in Ottawa as long as you aren't looking for clubbing and ethnic food.

I grew up in the GTA but live in Ottawa now. It's the #1 city in Canada for 2 years in a row now for a reason. I agree with Maclean's assessment.
Jun 15, 2006
67 posts
2 upvotes
Pumpkin inferno - upper Canada village, Saunders farm, phantom of the opera at the NAC, chk out what's on at the Gladstone theatre and go for supper in little Italy.
Jun 17, 2013
511 posts
292 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: The Canada 150 Mosaic is still happening in Jacques-Cartier park until October 15 - might be worth seeing.

We just want this weekend, it is definitely worth seeing. Amazing.
Free admission, plus just park on a side street, we had no problem finding a spot.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1404 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
MosaiCanada, Gatineau Park.
Le Nordik is great. You can get discounts on tickets here: https://www.ottawatourism.ca/member/nordik-spa-nature/
I recommend Upper Canada Village and 1,000 islands on your way to or from Ottawa.

Diefenbunker: if you decide to go, go there early or call to make reservations. Last time we went we were told it was at full capacity. They also stop selling tickets 30 minutes before closing time.

If you plan on visiting Parliament Hill, you need to get your tickets early. The visitor centre usually opens at 9am but there's always a very long line-up before it opens. I waited more than 30mins and the earliest tour I got was for 2pm. Unless you don't mind French, then you can get earlier times.
Sep 25, 2017
1 posts
Best bar in Canada: Black Sheep Inn in Wakefield QC. Covered bridges. Or Beau's Brewery just 30 k east of Ottawa on 417. Or shopping in Westboro, or Bank Street South. Chelsea Pub for a burger and pint. Gatineau colours (mentioned above). Meech Lake. Can you tell I lived in Ottawa-Chelsea before moving west to YYC? Talk about boring....
Jun 17, 2013
511 posts
292 upvotes
ckay1980 wrote: Diefenbunker: if you decide to go, go there early or call to make reservations. Last time we went we were told it was at full capacity.
That is the same experience people would get if there was a nuclear war and they tried to get in there :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)