Off Topic

Ottawa Cop's (Daniel Montsion) Punches lead to Man's death.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2019 9:50 am
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Jan 31, 2019
13 posts
3 upvotes

Ottawa Cop's (Daniel Montsion) Punches lead to Man's death.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/d ... -1.5004799

'Unjustified' punches caused Abdirahman Abdi's death, Crown

Const. Daniel Montsion pleads not guilty to manslaughter, assault charges as trial opens

Const. Daniel Montsion, centre, leaves the Ottawa courthouse alongside his legal team and Ottawa Police Association president Matt Skof, left, on Feb. 4, 2019. (Judy Trinh/CBC)

A police officer's "unjustified" punches to the head and body of Abdirahman Abdi caused the Ottawa man's fatal heart attack outside his Hintonburg apartment building in July 2016, the Crown told a packed courtroom Monday.

Const. Daniel Montsion pleaded not guilty to manslaughter, aggravated assault and assault with a weapon as his trial got underway.

Ottawa police officer charged with manslaughter in man's 2016 death
Abdirahman Abdi's fatal encounter with Ottawa Police
Assistant Crown attorney Philip Perlmutter began his opening remarks by characterizing the proceedings as a trial "about an arrest gone bad."

From the Crown's perspective, the evidence is uncomplicated and comes down to two questions:

Did the accused use excessive force?
Did the accused cause the death of Abdirahman Abdi?
The Crown answered yes to both, and said the events that took place at the Bridgehead coffee shop prior to Abdi's arrest are irrelevant.

Video evidence
Perlmutter said the Crown intends to introduce forensic evidence including a CCTV video recording taken from the lobby of Abdi's apartment building.

Perlmutter said the video will show footage of Montsion joining Const. Dave Weir at the scene before punching Abdi more than once in the face with a closed fist. Montsion did not hesitate and was wearing reinforced gloves, Perlmutter told the court.

He said the footage will then show Montsion and Weir hauling a bleeding Abdi to the ground, where the accused then punched Abdi in the legs and again in the face. Abdi stopped moving shortly after that, Perlmutter said.

Const. Daniel Montsion, right, is on trial for manslaughter, aggravated assault and assault with a weapon in the 2016 death of 37-year-old Abdirahman Abdi, left. (Supplied)
It was those "unjustified" blows to Abdi's head and body that caused his fatal heart attack, the Crown said.

The Crown called David Robinson, a forensic investigator with Ontario's Special Investigations Unit, as its first witness, but technical challenges inside the courtroom cut his testimony short before the court was adjourned for the day.

Eyewitnesses to testify
Montsion wore dark sunglasses as he entered and exited the Elgin Street courthouse with the president of the Ottawa Police Association, Matt Skof, by his side.

Skof is supporting Montsion during the trial and staying on as police association president despite criminal allegations of breach of trust and obstructing justice against him.

Embedded video

Constable Daniel Montsion arrives for Day 1 of his trial manslaughter, assault with a weapon and assault in death of Abdirahman Abdi. Montsion in sunglasses is with lawyers and @OPA_President. OPS officers at door showing support

Eight eyewitnesses are scheduled to testify at Montsion's trial, most of whom watched Abdi's arrest from the apartment building on Hilda Street where the altercation ended.

Others were in the nearby Bridgehead coffee shop where the confrontation began.

Some of the Crown's witnesses are family members who were told to leave the courtroom Monday so as not to taint their testimony, standard procedure in such a trial.

After Montsion's arraignment Monday morning, the Crown and defence asked for an adjournment until 2 p.m. to give them time to double-check courtroom equipment and prepare materials.

No room for spectators
Upon return, Montsion's defence attorney, Michael Edelson, complained that many of the police officer's supporters couldn't get a seat inside the crowded courtroom, a problem he framed as a constitutional issue.

The courtroom set aside for the trial has a capacity of 41 people — not enough room for all the reporters, Abdi's family members and supporters, or Ottawa police officers who wanted to attend first day of proceedings.

Justice Robert Kelly, who was brought in from the Toronto region, said he plans to address the issue and move the trial to a larger courtroom

Twelve weeks have been set aside for the judge-alone trial. It resumes Tuesday.
71 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4560 posts
558 upvotes
Calgary
Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty" ….. both the prosecution's innuendo and the 13 post OP's bold emphasis...….
At approximately 9:30 a.m. on July 24, 2016, police were called to the Hintonburg Bridgehead coffee shop on the corner of Fairmont Avenue and Wellington Street West over allegations that Abdi was groping women there. J.M. Duval, a witness who was present at the coffee shop since 9:15 a.m., said he saw a commotion and that the front doors were locked as a group outside restrained Abdi. Duval said it looked like Abdi was trying to either flee or get back into the shop. Duval asked the allegedly assaulted woman (who had been taken to the back of the shop) in French what had happened and she said (translated) "He groped me." repeatedly.[7] Tracey Clark, the owner of Bridgehead who was not present during the incident, gave a statement on August 5 after speaking with staff and customers, describing Abdi as having harassed and assaulted multiple people in the shop.[8] Clark mentioned this was not the first incident with him and that he would sometimes stare at customers and get too close to them. Clark said that they had previously intervened by asking Abdi if he was aware of what he was doing and if he could stop.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32799 posts
7024 upvotes
Ottawa
Cough wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 7:56 pm
Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty" ….. both the prosecution's innuendo and the 13 post OP's bold emphasis...….
Correct.
The statements are only the crown accusations and allegations. It is now up to them to prove them. The coroners findings said the punches "may" have caused the heart attack that was the cause of his death.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4560 posts
558 upvotes
Calgary
OP joined Feb 1... banned Feb 5. That's good performance!
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2241 posts
769 upvotes
Please correct me if I am wrong.

So, the deceased was out sexually assaulting women. CBC did not mention that in the quoted article. Whatever. The deceased then tried to flee, when civilians were attempting to stop him. Police arrived. A confrontation occurred between police and the deceased. Police used force to subdue him. He died. So, now, the officer is charged with manslaughter. I'm presuming the deceased's family will also sue the police, if they already have not done so.

This places police in an impossible situation. How can they tell if police used enough force, or too much? In the Sammy Yatim case, it was pretty straight forward: the officer shot him repeatedly, after he no longer posed a threat. But here, where's there's an altercation, how would police know if one punch, was too many?
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1367 posts
257 upvotes
Deceased thought he was in Germany where this shit happens regularly but in Canada that ain't happening so altercation happened and force was used . oh well another dirtbag that wont go around sexual assaulting women anymore. Canada will not be the next Germany.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32799 posts
7024 upvotes
Ottawa
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 12:03 pm

So, the deceased was out sexually assaulting women. CBC did not mention that in the quoted article. Whatever. The deceased then tried to flee, when civilians were attempting to stop him. Police arrived. A confrontation occurred between police and the deceased. Police used force to subdue him. He died. So, now, the officer is charged with manslaughter. I'm presuming the deceased's family will also sue the police, if they already have not done so.

This places police in an impossible situation. How can they tell if police used enough force, or too much? In the Sammy Yatim case, it was pretty straight forward: the officer shot him repeatedly, after he no longer posed a threat. But here, where's there's an altercation, how would police know if one punch, was too many?
In it's simplest form you are correct. Thing is, what is excessive or unnecessary force? Did the police use that? That is what the entire case is going to be about.
Unfortunately, with the media and in particular all the community (don't want racist allegations), nothing short of conviction to the officer will do. If the jury, after all the evidence is presented, finds him not guilty of the charges, it will be total injustice because he is police , or white or whatever other allegations can be summed up. The Police and the officer is in a no win situation.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27432 posts
13354 upvotes
Ottawa
mr_raider wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 1:06 pm
For those who don't know this is the culprit:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/r ... -1.4027076

Reinforced gloves are a pussy's weapon. If you are afraid of breaking your knuckles with a punch, time to hit the makiwara and toughen upold school.
While I don't agree with excessive force, our police officers deserve every lethal weapon at their disposal to ensure the criminals are not "1 up" on them.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4744 posts
641 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 12:03 pm

surprise surprise ...
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4744 posts
641 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:

Reinforced gloves are a pussy's weapon. If you are afraid of breaking your knuckles with a punch, time to hit the makiwara and toughen upold school.
I like his mug ... he should be on posters: "don't sexually assault women or else ... "
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2869 posts
1380 upvotes
Burlington
This quote is outstanding.

"We just need to know why this happened the way it did. And, most importantly, those who committed this crime need to be held accountable for people to renew their faith in the police force, especially people from the black community."

Stop breaking the law lol.
Dec 18, 2017
379 posts
136 upvotes
About 15 years ago, my dad's neighbour in Halifax was mugged near his home. He walked into his house and collapsed from a heart attack and died. Death was ruled a heart attack and one of the muggers was charged with assault, nothing related to the death. I guess the theory that if this very physically fit retired navy guy in his early 50's died from a heart attack after that assault, he likely would have had a heart attack anyway, or something.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2252 posts
1106 upvotes
Kitchener
mr_raider wrote:

Reminds me of Jason Statham. He could work as a double for him, where he has to punch out the bad guys and all sorts of serious sh*t!
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32799 posts
7024 upvotes
Ottawa
mr_raider wrote:

Culprit? Pussy? Toughen up?
Your comments are baseless and uninformed and just making suppositions without knowing anything but based only on a photo.
Are these illegal? Are police banned from wearing them? Do they protect the knuckles form the sidewalks when they have tp take someone down? Are these gloves better than what is issued?
Basically, what do you know or is making crap up is what you do best?
Dpack22 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 1:51 pm
This quote is outstanding.

"We just need to know why this happened the way it did. And, most importantly, those who committed this crime need to be held accountable for people to renew their faith in the police force, especially people from the black community."

Stop breaking the law lol.
What crime?