• Feb 24th, 2018 9:52 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9656 posts
2854 upvotes
Ottawa
A caller to Rushforth's radio show earlier today mentioned his new home in Orleans had about 150 deficiency items to address 30 days after taking possession. Many of them were serious (he was without a shower for 35 days as an example).

Paul mentioned it was a reputable home builder. They did not mention any name, possibly due to potential liability reasons but I am hoping this is an exception rather than the rule. With the stable and increasingly heating up Ottawa market, I would hate to see builders cutting corners (if they have not already done so) to try to finish a project quickly so that they can move on to another one...
[removed]
Jan 15, 2017
909 posts
658 upvotes
canabiz wrote:
May 20th, 2017 11:51 am
A caller to Rushforth's radio show earlier today mentioned his new home in Orleans had about 150 deficiency items to address 30 days after taking possession. Many of them were serious (he was without a shower for 35 days as an example).

Paul mentioned it was a reputable home builder. They did not mention any name, possibly due to potential liability reasons but I am hoping this is an exception rather than the rule. With the stable and increasingly heating up Ottawa market, I would hate to see builders cutting corners (if they have not already done so) to try to finish a project quickly so that they can move on to another one...
That's a lot of items, no doubt about it. Many first time new build buyers are surprised by deficiencies, and yet, they are part of the new build process. I remember the inspector for my previous new build telling me that I had a well built home in spite of the deficiencies. He commented that just the previous day he had completed an inspection on a custom build that had 18 pages of deficiencies and the home owner was not able to close on the home.

With a heating up market I wouldn't expect to see this type of activity until homes purchased today are built next year, as new builds closing this Spring were most likely purchased last year when the market was slow.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
5245 posts
2676 upvotes
skeet50 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 8:13 pm
Same model is listed on Orleans for $399,900 https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... sideAvalon. The house right next to this one was also on a 30' lot and was listed for $412k and sold very quickly. This listing went up right after the sold sign went on its neighbour. Interestingly, we had folks delivering real estate flyers in our neighbourhood looking for people wanting to buy as a townhome recently sold within 2 hours of being listed.
Those are definitely foreign buyers ;). Your gonna love the gains your gonna make soon. Ottawa resl estate is cheap cheap cheap!
Jan 15, 2017
909 posts
658 upvotes
Sanyo wrote:
May 20th, 2017 3:00 pm
Those are definitely foreign buyers ;). Your gonna love the gains your gonna make soon. Ottawa resl estate is cheap cheap cheap!
I hope so. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the Ottawa market has some pent up demand and we will experience some above average gains to make up for the dismal gains since 2012.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9656 posts
2854 upvotes
Ottawa
A couple of my friends are looking to upsize from Westboro condo to Barrhaven single so they asked me to meet them at the Minto sales centre on Strandherd for discussions about lot selection, floor plans and things of that nature.

My friends told me Minto will release their newest Barrhaven community called Harmony on June 3rd and Minto expects people to line up outside, possibly overnight, to secure their desired lot. I have not heard about this since pre-2010 when people lined up to get their desired lot with Monarch in Stonebridge so I guess things must have really picked up this year.

I also picked up the price list for Quinn's Pointe, Minto's another Barrhaven community, and the base price has increased by $20K for the townhouses as I still have the price list from opening day 2 years ago. I suspect the same thing for their detached models, if not more.

P.S. For some reasons, Barrhaven is particularly attractive to Asians. While I was in the sales centre, I saw a steady stream of interested buyers coming in and all of them were Asians (Chinese and Indians or perhaps Sri Lankans, I could not tell the difference to be honest).
[removed]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
5245 posts
2676 upvotes
canabiz wrote:
May 21st, 2017 5:06 pm
A couple of my friends are looking to upsize from Westboro condo to Barrhaven single so they asked me to meet them at the Minto sales centre on Strandherd for discussions about lot selection, floor plans and things of that nature.

My friends told me Minto will release their newest Barrhaven community called Harmony on June 3rd and Minto expects people to line up outside, possibly overnight, to secure their desired lot. I have not heard about this since pre-2010 when people lined up to get their desired lot with Monarch in Stonebridge so I guess things must have really picked up this year.

I also picked up the price list for Quinn's Pointe, Minto's another Barrhaven community, and the base price has increased by $20K for the townhouses as I still have the price list from opening day 2 years ago. I suspect the same thing for their detached models, if not more.

P.S. For some reasons, Barrhaven is particularly attractive to Asians. While I was in the sales centre, I saw a steady stream of interested buyers coming in and all of them were Asians (Chinese and Indians or perhaps Sri Lankans, I could not tell the difference to be honest).
Asians love real estate -- it wont change Toronto... and they may be invading Ottawa... if you have a house, happy gains to you! If you dont you better get in now cause I smell some nice gains coming for Ottawa in the next little while.

Some of us in Toronto see Ottawa as very cheap and coming to buy 2nd houses, investments, even moving there.
Dec 18, 2003
480 posts
47 upvotes
a lot of investment is will come to Ottawa from Toronto. there a massive demand for services such as good restaurants and proper nightlife in Ottawa that there is no existing supply for.

if the Asian money can build Markham and Richmond hill in 10-15 years from nothing but farms and dirt fields... what would only a fraction of that money do to ottawa?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9656 posts
2854 upvotes
Ottawa
fallengod wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 1:13 am
a lot of investment is will come to Ottawa from Toronto. there a massive demand for services such as good restaurants and proper nightlife in Ottawa that there is no existing supply for.

if the Asian money can build Markham and Richmond hill in 10-15 years from nothing but farms and dirt fields... what would only a fraction of that money do to ottawa?
If the GTA/foreign Asians want to help expand Ottawa, they will probably need to build outside of the greenbelt. There is no room for additional development within Ottawa Chinatown. although the upcoming Lebreton Flats development will be a game-changer but that is a different kettle of fish.

I don't know what type of good restos and proper nightlife you have in mind but Mandarin Buffet already has 2 locations in the city (one on Hunt Club and one in Orleans) with additional locations on the way (Kanata for sure and rumour is Barrhaven and Gatineau will get 1 as well).
[removed]
Dec 18, 2003
480 posts
47 upvotes
canabiz wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 8:04 am
If the GTA/foreign Asians want to help expand Ottawa, they will probably need to build outside of the greenbelt. There is no room for additional development within Ottawa Chinatown. although the upcoming Lebreton Flats development will be a game-changer but that is a different kettle of fish.

I don't know what type of good restos and proper nightlife you have in mind but Mandarin Buffet already has 2 locations in the city (one on Hunt Club and one in Orleans) with additional locations on the way (Kanata for sure and rumour is Barrhaven and Gatineau will get 1 as well).
I can see either barhaven or kanata being expanded massivly over the next few years. when I told pp in toronto that l I pay under 400k for a 2000sq townhome next to a major bus stop they all was like...that soooo cheap! (apparently even a townhouse in butt **** nowhere in newmarket is $500k+)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4104 posts
1747 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ilusa wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:34 am
Good for the entire ottawa market to have bidding ones in Kanata,

Hopefully more and more people move here. Ottawa really is a great place to live

Iv been here 6 months and besides for the Insane winter we had ( hoping it was a fluke ) its been great
It wasn't a fluke. You can expect snowy winters here every year. This winter actually wasn't very cold. My first couple years here were FAR colder. The past couple winters weren't very cold.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2799 posts
170 upvotes
Ottawa
Chickinvic wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 10:51 am
It wasn't a fluke. You can expect snowy winters here every year. This winter actually wasn't very cold. My first couple years here were FAR colder. The past couple winters weren't very cold.
Cold Cold Cold, And Super Snowy this past year.

O well, i bought my snowsuit and my snowblower :)
Hello
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4104 posts
1747 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ilusa wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 11:25 am
Cold Cold Cold, And Super Snowy this past year.

O well, i bought my snowsuit and my snowblower :)
It wasn't very cold this year - trust me.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9656 posts
2854 upvotes
Ottawa
Has anyone here (or know anyone who does) rented out a room in their primary residence on AirBnB?

I am considering that and would love to hear your feedback. Since this is a room in our home, I will be doing the screening and maintenance myself.
[removed]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1185 posts
281 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
canabiz wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 10:20 pm
Has anyone here (or know anyone who does) rented out a room in their primary residence on AirBnB?

I am considering that and would love to hear your feedback. Since this is a room in our home, I will be doing the screening and maintenance myself.
If you live in the suburbs you will have to start off with an extremely low price to get good reviews...as in 20-25$, and may be able to top out at 40$ a night after quite a few strong reviews. The exception being Canada Day.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3823 posts
370 upvotes
Ottawa
canabiz wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 10:20 pm

It's an easy way to make extra income but you have to be comfortable with strangers. Since it's just a room, you'll likely be sharing a bathroom, kitchen, foyer, possibly family room, etc.

I had roommates when I was younger but it was people I knew, not strangers and I'm not sure how I'd feel about that (I've only been to actual BnBs a few times in my life and I don't really enjoy that myself). I have stayed at AirBnb / Homestay places a bunch of times but it's always been the whole house. We also rent a few places on Airbnb but it's the whole apartment.

There's also a couple of tax implication. First you have to declare rental income (no big deal but you should be aware of it). More importantly, you have to be careful what you expense as I think it can affect your primary residence capital gains exemption (but you should check with an accountant about that).