Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2534 posts
1853 upvotes
canabiz wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 10:03 pm

- They know other people lining up to buy units for investment purposes. As mentioned earlier, these houses are within walking distance to major shops and retailers and they should have no trouble finding tenants.
Not always the best situation if you are a homeowner in this community, especially if there is a large number of rentals in a small area. You can easily walk through some communities and pick out the rentals.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4818 posts
922 upvotes
Ottawa
William W wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 8:38 pm
I agree looking at how some single family homes are pack together where on one side of the house, the distance between your house and the neighbour's is only approximately 1 meter. There is really little difference between a 2 storey end unit towns and a 30' single.
There's benefits of having townhomes and single family but having lived in a townhouse, one thing I really didn't like is that I could sometimes hear my neighbour go up / down his stairs and sometimes I could hear water running in his pipes. With many townhomes, neighbors have a right of way through your backyard to get to their backyard.

You have a valid point about that there's very little separation between new singles. That's one of the appeals of older homes (Our home is 28' wide, lot is 49' at the front and 62' at that back).

-- update

I forgot to mention that as far as soundproofing, not all townhomes are built the same so some may very well be more soundproof than others.
Last edited by michelb on Jun 3rd, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 11, 2009
271 posts
71 upvotes
canabiz wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 10:03 pm
- There are some discussions this area may become the new Markham, dominated with Asian residence and businesses. I think it is premature to think so but we will see how things shake out in a few years.
Feels to me like Kanata Lakes area is very Markhamesque. Definitely seems to be more asians than any other group.
May 23, 2017
359 posts
168 upvotes
chipspew wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 11:21 am
Feels to me like Kanata Lakes area is very Markhamesque. Definitely seems to be more asians than any other group.
I'm not too familiar with Kanata Lakes but isn't it mostly residential? Markham is more than just Asians living there, they have tons of Asian businesses (huge concentration of restaurants in that area, P-Mall, etc). I haven't heard of lots of new Asian businesses setting up in either Kanata or Barrhaven (not enough to turn either of them into an Ottawa version of Markham anyways). But of course things can easily change in the next few years depending on how the areas are developed.

Interestingly, I find that most Asian businesses are setting up in the Hunt Club/Merivale area in recent years (T&T, lots of new Asian restaurants including "chain" restaurants I used to have to go to Toronto for). Another reason why I like Barrhaven--it is very close to Hunt Club/Merivale.
audiorichard wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 10:58 pm
It did happend before in Stonebridge around 2007/08, ppl were camping to get the house. People were buying 50' lot for $400k's 10 years ago..
Wow, didn't know that (I wasn't in Ottawa during those years, and was also too young to think about buying a house anyways!). So it's been 10 years since the Ottawa market was this hot?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3934 posts
691 upvotes
jk9088 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 11:42 am
Wow, didn't know that (I wasn't in Ottawa during those years, and was also too young to think about buying a house anyways!). So it's been 10 years since the Ottawa market was this hot?
No, people have lined up for several developments throughout the city over the years but the big difference with this Minto development is it appears to be speculators/investors lining up when before people who actually wanted to live in the houses lined up for the premium lots.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6804 posts
3969 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
skeet50 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 7:41 am
Not always the best situation if you are a homeowner in this community, especially if there is a large number of rentals in a small area. You can easily walk through some communities and pick out the rentals.
Not necessarily. I have no idea who rents in our neighborhood. Our next door neighbours when we moved in were an older (retired) couple and they took such fantastic care of the place and yard. I was shocked when they told me they were renting there. We always took great care of rentals too. Some owners on the other hand keep their places in horrible repair.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6804 posts
3969 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
michelb wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 9:30 am
There's benefits of having townhomes and single family but having lived in a townhouse, one thing I really didn't like is that I could sometimes hear my neighbour go up / down his stairs and sometimes I could hear water running in his pipes. With many townhomes, neighbors have a right of way through your backyard to get to their backyard.

You have a valid point about that there's very little separation between new singles. That's one of the appeals of older homes (Our home is 28' wide, lot is 49' at the front and 62' at that back).
We live in a Minto townhouse (inside unit) and I can honestly say we don't hear a thing. The soundproofing must be fantastic. It is a 2001 build, so I can't say for sure what their new ones are like. No complaints here whatsoever.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6804 posts
3969 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
swales wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 12:23 pm
No, people have lined up for several developments throughout the city over the years but the big difference with this Minto development is it appears to be speculators/investors lining up when before people who actually wanted to live in the houses lined up for the premium lots.
I'm saddened to see the madness working its way into Ottawa. These "crazes" ruin a city as far as I'm concerned. I do not want the stupidity of what's happened in places like Toronto, Vancouver and even Victoria coming here. I moved away from that!
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1553 posts
740 upvotes
Moon
Chickinvic wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 12:47 pm
I'm saddened to see the madness working its way into Ottawa. These "crazes" ruin a city as far as I'm concerned. I do not want the stupidity of what's happened in places like Toronto, Vancouver and even Victoria coming here. I moved away from that!
Why not? It would only make you wealthier. I personally want the crazyness to happen in Ottawa because Ottawa has to catch up to Toronto or Vancouver prices at least a little bit IMO. I would like the option of living in Toronto or Vancouver if I ever need to work there. Currently I'm priced out and that isn't possible. A drastic rise in Ottawa house price could make a move to Toronto a possibility if I need it for work.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6804 posts
3969 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Applesmack wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 1:04 pm
Why not? It would only make you wealthier.
Everything isn't about me. I've seen what it does to communities. I'm from a Victoria. It isn't a "healthy" situation. Also, I'm only wealthier if I sell and then move somewhere cheaper (less desirable to me) - which I have no intention of doing.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6804 posts
3969 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Applesmack wrote:
Why not? It would only make you wealthier. I personally want the crazyness to happen in Ottawa because Ottawa has to catch up to Toronto or Vancouver prices at least a little bit IMO. I would like the option of living in Toronto or Vancouver if I ever need to work there. Currently I'm priced out and that isn't possible. A drastic rise in Ottawa house price could make a move to Toronto a possibility if I need it for work.
Ottawa wouldn't likely increase in a bubble. Toronto will likely stay in ratio - if Ottawa is skyrocketing it won't catch up to Toronto. The same conditions that make Toronto more expensive/desireable to others would still be there, no?
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1553 posts
740 upvotes
Moon
Chickinvic wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 1:07 pm
Everything isn't about me. I've seen what it does to communities. I'm from a Victoria. It isn't a "healthy" situation. Also, I'm only wealthier if I sell and then move somewhere cheaper (less desirable to me) - which I have no intention of doing.
Ottawa is currently well underpriced and if Ottawa house price gains don't keep up with other cities we will be permanently priced out of all other cities. Also as long as house price gains stay inside cities I'm also ok with them. I don't have an intention of living in a city when I retire and thus will be able to move to some nice beach side property in the Carribean with a large profit by selling my house.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6804 posts
3969 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Applesmack wrote:
Ottawa wouldn't likely increase in a bubble. Toronto will likely stay in ratio - if Ottawa is skyrocketing it won't catch up to Toronto. The same conditions that make Toronto more expensive/desireable to others would still be there, no?

One of the things that makes Ottawa great is that someone like yourself (young, single) can still afford to buy a place and set down roots. Why would you want that ruined for future generations. A house is supposed to be a place to live, not your lottery ticket.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6804 posts
3969 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Applesmack wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 1:09 pm
Ottawa is currently well underpriced and if Ottawa house price gains don't keep up with other cities we will be permanently priced out of all other cities. Also as long as house price gains stay inside cities I'm also ok with them. I don't have an intention of living in a city when I retire and thus will be able to move to some nice beach side property in the Carribean with a large profit by selling my house.
Ottawa isn't underpriced. Some cities are overpriced at the moment. I think Ottawa pricing is fairly healthy. You are showing your young age in that you have certain expectations about what a housing market is that are out of whack since most of what you can remember has been a crazy bubble type market.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6804 posts
3969 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Applesmack wrote: