Tags:
None
Mar 24, 2015
735 posts
185 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
swales wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 1:46 pm
Most of the newly built "singles" are packed right in, especially ones built by Mattamy and Minto.
and they have smaller backyard too, if you want a bigger lot you'd need to pay extra.
One of the many reasons why we didn't buy a new built and got one built in 2003 instead. The lot was bigger and the house was the same price or even cheaper than a new built.

The new singles by Mattamy are so close it's not possible to put the backyard gates side by side.
Last edited by ckay1980 on Feb 6th, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
2137 posts
273 upvotes
ilusa wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 1:53 pm
Anyone ?
North, South, East or West of Place d'Orleans makes a difference.

It is most likely Orleans / Convent Glen unless you sits east of Place d'Orleans.
Last edited by William W on Feb 6th, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 14, 2007
324 posts
113 upvotes
Ottawa
William W wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 2:23 pm
North, South, East or West of Place d'Orleans makes a difference.
Agree, just like South, East and West of Westboro area, they difference can be over $500k - $800k...
Last edited by audiorichard on Feb 6th, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1473 posts
1017 upvotes
ilusa wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 12:21 pm
The house i purchased in 2016 is right beside place d'orleans shopping center ( 5 mins walk )

Would this be considered

Orleans / Convent Glen
Or
Orleans / Cumberland

Not originally from Ottawa So im not to sure
Area 20 on the real estate map (http://www.guywalker.ca/map.shtml#) so Convent Glen.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1473 posts
1017 upvotes
Cas77 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:06 pm
house is also for rent
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-rental/ot ... 1324464118

Might as well throw your fishing line in the water and try to make a quick 100k for a $249 grapevine listing while it’s vacant waiting for tenants. He knows it liekly won’t sell but on the odd chance it does there’s nothing wrong with trying to seperate a sucker from his money.

He’s not bothering any family and doesn’t need the last penny...trust me. ;)
I agree - without the details on number of houses actually sold and the prices then publishing the average price is a useless exercise.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1473 posts
1017 upvotes
William W wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 12:44 pm
Which begs the question as to whether a similar square footage TH is of better value as singles are now pack so closely together.
That's actually one thing that we are considering. Singles are so close that does it make any difference if share a common wall in a town? Especially if you take steps to increase the sound insulation on the common wall?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1473 posts
1017 upvotes
ckay1980 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 2:05 pm
and they have smaller backyard too, if you want a bigger lot you'd need to pay extra.
One of the many reasons why we didn't buy a new built and got one built in 2003 instead. The lot was bigger and the house was the same price or even cheaper than a new built.

The new singles by Mattamy are so close it's not possible to put the backyard gates side by side.
On the flip side of this, one of the reasons we chose the new build was the smaller yard. Previously had a new build on a 43' lot and all rear neighbours installed pools that severely limited the enjoyment of our yard. The guy who bought that home actually installed a pool also. Guess if you can't beat them, join them.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5072 posts
2422 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
skeet50 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 3:42 pm
On the flip side of this, one of the reasons we chose the new build was the smaller yard. Previously had a new build on a 43' lot and all rear neighbours installed pools that severely limited the enjoyment of our yard. The guy who bought that home actually installed a pool also. Guess if you can't beat them, join them.
Why did the neighbours having pools limit your enjoyment? I love pools, but even if I didn't I can't see being bothered by them.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5072 posts
2422 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
William W wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 12:44 pm
Which begs the question as to whether a similar square footage TH is of better value as singles are now pack so closely together.
I think they are. I've seen lots of townhouses in Ottawa that have much bigger yards than today's "singles". We had a townhouse before buying our place here in Fallowfield Village. It was quite nice, and we honestly didn't get noise transfer from the neighbours (and it was an inside townhouse). Hearing noise between the units would be our biggest concern, but it wasn't an issue with our unit. We also made lots of noise (movie room in basement, I play electric guitar, we listen to loud music sometimes, had the occasional party). We asked our neighbours but they never had any noise complaint either.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5072 posts
2422 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
BlueSolstice wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 1:23 pm
Are singles in Ottawa packed really close together? Most singles seem to be 35 feet in lot width, which is nearly double the 20 feet width of towns. Even 30 feet lots are still 50% wider than towns.
They are packed in really tight. Takes away the whole point to me. They fill the small lots up with way too big of a house too. I'm not a fan of filling up the whole lot with house. What does everyone need these humongous houses for anyways? Most people don't have big families these days (and back when big families were common we lived in much smaller houses).
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1473 posts
1017 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 4:30 pm
Why did the neighbours having pools limit your enjoyment? I love pools, but even if I didn't I can't see being bothered by them.
Lots of very crowded and loud pool parties with music blaring. With 4 rear neighbours with pools, parties were the rule and not the exception. That experience taught us that people who pay lot premiums for oversized and pie shaped lots usually do so as they have plans for the lot. Now we have a lot with no one living behind us.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5072 posts
2422 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
skeet50 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 7:04 pm
Lots of very crowded and loud pool parties with music blaring. With 4 rear neighbours with pools, parties were the rule and not the exception. That experience taught us that people who pay lot premiums for oversized and pie shaped lots usually do so as they have plans for the lot. Now we have a lot with no one living behind us.
We have a pool, the house closest to us has a pool, the house 2 doors down has a pool. The only thing I hear is kids playing sometimes. We play music by the pool, but not loud enough to bother the neighbourhood.
Banned
Oct 10, 2016
758 posts
322 upvotes
Is there any real estate agent from Ottawa/Gatineau on this board?
Or anyone knows a good one

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4044 posts
436 upvotes
Ottawa
estevens wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 9:25 pm
Is there any real estate agent from Ottawa/Gatineau on this board?
Or anyone knows a good one

Thanks
There are likely several agents that browse this forum but I don't know if you'll find any that work Ottawa and Gatineau because of the licensing issues.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

Shank2008, Applesmack