None
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9543 posts
3839 upvotes
Ottawa
estevens wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 9:25 pm
Is there any real estate agent from Ottawa/Gatineau on this board?
Or anyone knows a good one

Thanks
I pity your inbox.

Like michelb said a single brokerage can't legally operate on both sides of the river.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2877 posts
187 upvotes
Ottawa
estevens wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 9:25 pm
Is there any real estate agent from Ottawa/Gatineau on this board?
Or anyone knows a good one

Thanks
Buy in Ottawa, it will cost a more upfront but will be well worth it in the long run!
Hello
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3043 posts
644 upvotes
Ottawa
ilusa wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 11:49 am
Buy in Ottawa, it will cost a more upfront but will be well worth it in the long run!
Agreed, live in Ottawa, buy your beer in Gatineau. Best of both worlds!
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1228 posts
306 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
wiab89 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 6:31 pm
How would you rank these communities in terms of quality, value, and investment potential?

Monahan Landing
Abbottsville Crossing
Blackstone
Half Moon Bay

Looking at a few different options:

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... Blackstone

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... ld-Meadows

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... f-Moon-Bay
Is there a reason you are only interested in Mattamy communities?

I would rank them HMB,Blackstone,Abbotsville,Monahan Landing.

If you are looking to buy near blackstone/abbotsville I would highly recommend Bradleys Common or the Edenwylde community. Much better builders (Urbandale, Richcraft, Tartan, Cardel).

There are also Cardel homes available within Blackstone.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1123 posts
507 upvotes
Moon
nikels21 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 8:02 pm
Is there a reason you are only interested in Mattamy communities?

I would rank them HMB,Blackstone,Abbotsville,Monahan Landing.

If you are looking to buy near blackstone/abbotsville I would highly recommend Bradleys Common or the Edenwylde community. Much better builders (Urbandale, Richcraft, Tartan, Cardel).

There are also Cardel homes available within Blackstone.
"Better" at being overpriced that's for sure. You paying a good 50k premium just for a name when you go with Urbandale. Thanks but I'll take the risk of having to claim a few issues on Tarion.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1123 posts
507 upvotes
Moon
wiab89 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 6:31 pm
How would you rank these communities in terms of quality, value, and investment potential?

Monahan Landing
Abbottsville Crossing
Blackstone
Half Moon Bay

Looking at a few different options:

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... Blackstone

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... ld-Meadows

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... f-Moon-Bay
If you are looking for return on investment and can tolerate a construction zone I would buy pre-construciton in Abbotsville. The community is only getting started just now and will have huge price gains in future phases as it is being built.
Banned
Oct 10, 2016
758 posts
320 upvotes
dirtmover wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 12:05 pm
Agreed, live in Ottawa, buy your beer in Gatineau. Best of both worlds!
Thanks guys

Looking forward on moving on from MTL and Province of QC (I said Gatineau but it's 100% sure it's Ottawa area anywhere around there 25-30 km radius as I'm already in the suburbs here)
If it was Gatineau I'd rather stay where I am now
I need a change of scenery
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1228 posts
306 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Applesmack wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 8:16 pm
"Better" at being overpriced that's for sure. You paying a good 50k premium just for a name when you go with Urbandale. Thanks but I'll take the risk of having to claim a few issues on Tarion.
This is completely false and very ignorant on your part. Urbandale's standard features are light years ahead of Mattamy's.

Full Disclosure: I purchased and moved into a new build with Mattamy in the last year.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
2112 posts
262 upvotes
Applesmack wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 8:18 pm
If you are looking for return on investment and can tolerate a construction zone I would buy pre-construciton in Abbotsville. The community is only getting started just now and will have huge price gains in future phases as it is being built.
Also, Abbottsville Crossing is surround by / connected to communities built by more expensive builders, Cardel, Urbandale, Richcraft and Metric. In real estate, it is all about location, and you always wants to buy the homes that is pulling down the neighbourhood average not the one that is pulling it up as it is generally easier to sell the lower price listing in the same neighbouhood.
May 23, 2017
104 posts
15 upvotes
Applesmack wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 8:16 pm
Agree with @nikels21, don't spread false information just because you are biased due to buying a Mattamy home yourself.

I did not buy with either Mattamy or Urbandale (considered both though and would have bought with either if the location was right), but when researching both builders I was very impressed with what Urbandale includes as standard. 9' ceilings, quartz countertops, kitchen backsplash, potlights everywhere, tiled shower, smooth ceilings, etc. all come with the base model. Meanwhile for Mattamy you will have to pay extra for almost everything (and their upgrade costs at the design centre are NOT cheap). To save costs I've heard that many of their homes did not even include basic things like a glass shower door in the ensuite (they just give you a curtain rod) which I find a bit ridiculous.

Yes you can definitely say that budget buyers who do not care about these upgrades are better off saving money with Mattamy. But for people who want a house with upgraded/luxury finishes, Urbandale may actually turn out to be a better deal. What you claim though (that you are only paying a 50k premium for the "name" and less Tarion issues) is definitely not true.

(I'm not even taking into consideration the reported poorer customer service and Tarion issues with Mattamy. I've heard conflicting things about whether Urbandale construction quality is better than Mattamy, and didn't look into this myself so can't say for sure, but that could definitely be a consideration as well.)
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1123 posts
507 upvotes
Moon
nikels21 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 9:57 pm
This is completely false and very ignorant on your part. Urbandale's standard features are light years ahead of Mattamy's.

Full Disclosure: I purchased and moved into a new build with Mattamy in the last year.
I know very well their standard features are better... Except they way over-charge for those standard features. By buying a Mattamy home and then hiring a contractor afterwards you can save 50% if not more for the same stuff..
jk9088 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 10:20 pm
Agree with @nikels21, don't spread false information just because you are biased due to buying a Mattamy home yourself.

I did not buy with either Mattamy or Urbandale (considered both though and would have bought with either if the location was right), but when researching both builders I was very impressed with what Urbandale includes as standard. 9' ceilings, quartz countertops, kitchen backsplash, potlights everywhere, tiled shower, smooth ceilings, etc. all come with the base model. Meanwhile for Mattamy you will have to pay extra for almost everything (and their upgrade costs at the design centre are NOT cheap). To save costs I've heard that many of their homes did not even include basic things like a glass shower door in the ensuite (they just give you a curtain rod) which I find a bit ridiculous.

Yes you can definitely say that budget buyers who do not care about these upgrades are better off saving money with Mattamy. But for people who want a house with upgraded/luxury finishes, Urbandale may actually turn out to be a better deal. What you claim though (that you are only paying a 50k premium for the "name" and less Tarion issues) is definitely not true.

(I'm not even taking into consideration the reported poorer customer service and Tarion issues with Mattamy. I've heard conflicting things about whether Urbandale construction quality is better than Mattamy, and didn't look into this myself so can't say for sure, but that could definitely be a consideration as well.)
As I stated above any builder upgrade outside of structural is a ripoff. That fancy quartz counter top is how a builder prints money. You can buy the same upgrades for less than half the price from a contractor or hell do them yourself and pay 1/4 of the price the builder is charging you. If you care about return on investment all this matters. Also Urbandale tends to not even include much design credit for their buyers. I got 10k in design studio credit for design upgrades from Mattamy while Urbandale is $5000 right now:

http://urbandaleconstruction.com/homes/current-bonuses

Also didn't Mattamy win awards as a builder recently? Honestly from what I hear their recent communities in Ottawa are quite good. Talking to people from Monahan and Half Moon Bay is part of the reason I bought.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
2112 posts
262 upvotes
nikels21 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 9:57 pm

I agree, with Urbandale, their spec exceed codes, whereas Mattamy just met codes. The question is 5 to 10 years from now, will buyers be willing to pay the $50k premium for the 2x6 construction, the extra insulation, better windows, 30 years instead of 15 years shingle or the cooper pipes instead of Plex pipes. Based on what I read, when it comes time for resale, it is always the cosmetic stuff like paint, flooring that gets the greatest return. Strucural stuff like roof, insulation, etc has the lowest rate of return.

That being said, if that is my forever home, I will pay the premium and buy from builders like Urbandale. But if I only plan to be there for 5 to 10 years or even 15 years, I think I will go with Mattamy or Minto and put aside the saving and use it toward something else.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1228 posts
306 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Applesmack wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 10:22 pm
I know very well their standard features are better... Except they way over-charge for those standard features. By buying a Mattamy home and then hiring a contractor afterwards you can save 50% if not more for the same stuff..

As I stated above any builder upgrade outside of structural is a ripoff. That fancy quartz counter top is how a builder prints money. You can buy the same upgrades for less than half the price from a contractor or hell do them yourself and pay 1/4 of the price the builder is charging you. If you care about return on investment all this matters. Also Urbandale tends to not even include much design credit for their buyers. I got 10k in design studio credit for design upgrades from Mattamy while Urbandale is $5000 right now:

http://urbandaleconstruction.com/homes/current-bonuses

Also didn't Mattamy win awards as a builder recently? Honestly from what I hear their recent communities in Ottawa are quite good. Talking to people from Monahan and Half Moon Bay is part of the reason I bought.
You aren't considering a lot of things that are valuable to some homeowners. A lot of people do not want to build a brand new house and then rip out carpets, countertops, etc before they move in. Again, I currently live in a Mattamy and agree they provide good value. But the quality (Yes, I hate the look of Mattamy communities....houses are too close together and they use A LOT of siding compared to other builders). The two Mattamy communities I like (Traditions, Blackstone) just so happen to be the old Monarch communities.

As for the counter tops, with SOME builders it is valuable to buy them through the builder because the builder will install larger floor joists or thicker sub floor. There are a lot of variables to consider from builder to builder.

You don't need much design money with Urbandale. Another advantage is that Urbandale will allow you to move walls,change room sizes,etc. Mattamy will not do this.

Its not just Urbandale though.

I would rank Ottawa builders as follows: Cardel, Uniform, Urbandale, HN, Richcraft, Tartan, Tamarack, Minto, Pheonix, Glenview, Mattamy