None
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1124 posts
509 upvotes
Moon
nikels21 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 10:40 pm
You aren't considering a lot of things that are valuable to some homeowners. A lot of people do not want to build a brand new house and then rip out carpets, countertops, etc before they move in. Again, I currently live in a Mattamy and agree they provide good value. But the quality (Yes, I hate the look of Mattamy communities....houses are too close together and they use A LOT of siding compared to other builders). The two Mattamy communities I like (Traditions, Blackstone) just so happen to be the old Monarch communities.

As for the counter tops, with SOME builders it is valuable to buy them through the builder because the builder will install larger floor joists or thicker sub floor. There are a lot of variables to consider from builder to builder.

You don't need much design money with Urbandale. Another advantage is that Urbandale will allow you to move walls,change room sizes,etc. Mattamy will not do this.

Its not just Urbandale though.

I would rank Ottawa builders as follows: Cardel, Uniform, Urbandale, HN, Richcraft, Tartan, Tamarack, Minto, Pheonix, Glenview, Mattamy
Hey if you would rather cough up tens of thousands than delay your move in by a month to let contractors do some work that is your call mate. I'm not that rich and I can tell you that most buyers aren't either. Why didn't you just buy Urbandale if you don't care about value?

There is no question which builder gives more value:

I looked at Urbandale prices and they are truly crazy. Here is a 1922 square foot house on a 35' lot for 510k from Urbandale:

http://urbandaleconstruction.com/homes/ ... fic-series

For the same price you can get this from Mattamy:

https://mattamyhomes.com/ottawa/communi ... -1128.aspx

?????????????
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1228 posts
308 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Applesmack wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 10:39 pm
I looked at Urbandale prices and they are truly crazy. Here is a 1922 square foot house on a 35' lot for 510k from Urbandale:

?????????????
Mattamy is selling that model as a 'quick move in home'. It is not their regular price. Urbandale also has deals once in a while on spec homes. But you can't compare a quick move in home to a regular priced home. It all depends on builder inventories in each subdivision
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1228 posts
308 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Applesmack wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 10:44 pm
Hey if you would rather cough up tens of thousands than delay your move in by a month to let contractors do some work that is your call mate. I'm not that rich and I can tell you that most buyers aren't either. Why didn't you just buy Urbandale if you don't care about value?

There is no question which builder gives more value:

?????????????
I chose Mattamy because I prioritized location, not because of quality
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1124 posts
509 upvotes
Moon
nikels21 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 10:44 pm
Mattamy is selling that model as a 'quick move in home'. It is not their regular price. Urbandale also has deals once in a while on spec homes. But you can't compare a quick move in home to a regular priced home. It all depends on builder inventories in each subdivision
That model is 481k from Mattamy right now:

https://mattamyhomes.com/ottawa/communi ... kside.aspx

30k is about right for what you will pay for those upgrades in the quick move home. I find their 'quick move' homes aren't much of a discount.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1228 posts
308 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Applesmack wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 10:46 pm
That model is 481k from Mattamy right now:

https://mattamyhomes.com/ottawa/communi ... kside.aspx

30k is about right for what you will pay for those upgrades in the quick move home. I find their 'quick move' homes aren't much of a discount.
Yea home prices vary by location, If I remember right Urbandale Riverside South subdivision is more expensive than Bradley's common for the same home.

Mattamy also varies pricing based on subdivision.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1124 posts
509 upvotes
Moon
nikels21 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 10:49 pm
Yea home prices vary by location, If I remember right Urbandale Riverside South subdivision is more expensive than Bradley's common for the same home.

Mattamy also varies pricing based on subdivision.
I will agree with you on the fact that Urbandale homes look a lot nicer (their exterior) than Mattamy homes. Especially Mattamy homes in Abbotsville. However I think the Mattamy community in stitsville has nice and modern looking homes as well:

https://mattamyhomes.com/ottawa/communi ... ns-ii.aspx

I am disappointed with their architecture in Abbotsville but oh well it is cheap and I'm poor as heck and only can afford a 30' lot.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1228 posts
308 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Applesmack wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 10:53 pm
I will agree with you on the fact that Urbandale homes look a lot nicer (their exterior) than Mattamy homes. Especially Mattamy homes in Abbotsville. However I think the Mattamy community in stitsville has nice and modern looking homes as well:

https://mattamyhomes.com/ottawa/communi ... ns-ii.aspx

I am disappointed with their architecture in Abbotsville but oh well it is cheap.
Yea I actually really like the exterior of their homes in both Traditions in Stittsville and Blackstone in Kanata/Stittsville. I hope they produce more communities with those facades.
Dec 4, 2016
309 posts
109 upvotes
Personally, I've heard too many anecdotal horror stories about Mattamy in Ottawa to ever buy from them. I understand that new homes come with warranties, and there are government agencies that would hold builders accountable. But that just sounds like too much headache. Note that I would buy a Mattamy home built 10+ years ago. Just not the past 5 years.
Dec 24, 2009
590 posts
216 upvotes
BlueSolstice wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 3:48 pm
Personally, I've heard too many anecdotal horror stories about Mattamy in Ottawa to ever buy from them. I understand that new homes come with warranties, and there are government agencies that would hold builders accountable. But that just sounds like too much headache. Note that I would buy a Mattamy home built 10+ years ago. Just not the past 5 years.
Yes, they don't have a good reputation. They build on swamp lands
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1124 posts
509 upvotes
Moon
BlueSolstice wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 3:48 pm
Risk reward I guess. Take the risk and go through potential hassle but save money.

Take less risk and have less chance of hassle but pay A LOT of money for that.

Your choice.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1153 posts
839 upvotes
William W wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 10:18 pm
Also, Abbottsville Crossing is surround by / connected to communities built by more expensive builders, Cardel, Urbandale, Richcraft and Metric. In real estate, it is all about location, and you always wants to buy the homes that is pulling down the neighbourhood average not the one that is pulling it up as it is generally easier to sell the lower price listing in the same neighbouhood.
And if you have ever lived in a new build and then sold it then you learn that the value of your new build is compared to all those builders in the area. That Richcraft or Urbandale home will be compared with Minto, Claridge and Mattamy if they are in the area.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1153 posts
839 upvotes
nikels21 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 10:40 pm

I would rank Ottawa builders as follows: Cardel, Uniform, Urbandale, HN, Richcraft, Tartan, Tamarack, Minto, Pheonix, Glenview, Mattamy
These are all tract builders all offering basically the same home and experience. There isn't much difference between them. Yes, some offer higher grade finishes at a higher price than others. This may be convenient for some buyers who prefer an "all in pricing" model. Other buyers prefer a cafeteria style approach to pricing in which they get to pick and choose exactly what options they want and not have to pay for upgrades that they don't want.

All these builders are successful and all are selling homes, so they have their market clearly defined as well as their customer clearly defined. Minto didn't get to be the largest builder in Ottawa by building crappy homes or offering poor customer service. And Mattamy certainly didn't get to be the largest builder in Canada by building a substandard product.

Stating one tract builder is better than another is boring and tiresome. They've all built really good homes and they have all built some problems. It's the nature of the business. But at the end of the day, when the time comes to sell your new home, it will be compared to these builders' homes.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1153 posts
839 upvotes
Ken_vs_Ryu wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 3:52 pm
Yes, they don't have a good reputation. They build on swamp lands
Almost all of Ottawa was swamp land - it use to be under water at one time. That is why there is so much clay soil here.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1153 posts
839 upvotes
Another single family detached home in my neighbourhood hit the market yesterday and sold sign is on it today. Two others went up before Xmas though and are still listed. One has reduced its price (it doesn't show well). Real estate is indeed a strange business.

Be interesting to see if we are still in a balanced market. My guess is that we will be all year. Time will tell.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

yow2kvil