Tags:
None
Banned
Sep 18, 2008
696 posts
1 upvote
Nepean

Ottawa Train Yards Shopping Centre

Any one in the ottawa area have you been and how is it.
39 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
193 upvotes
ottawasportsfan2010 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2009 5:03 pm
Any one in the ottawa area have you been and how is it.
Its strange. It was nearly empty. I at first thought it was under construction or something. Went to the shoe company once looking for a pair of boots. No luck at that store.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1787 posts
58 upvotes
Ottawa
Very odd and mostly empty. I went there once, its plunked in the middle of an industrial park with no residential for a good 5-10km.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
193 upvotes
SAN66 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2009 6:12 pm
Very odd and mostly empty. I went there once, its plunked in the middle of an industrial park with no residential for a good 5-10km.
Seriously? a good 5-10km?

So your saying there is no residential areas in downtown ottawa. Parliament hill is 4km away from the train yards.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1787 posts
58 upvotes
Ottawa
jason9945 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2009 6:33 pm
Seriously? a good 5-10km?

So your saying there is no residential areas in downtown ottawa. Parliament hill is 4km away from the train yards.
have you ever heard of something called exaggeration?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2427 posts
200 upvotes
Vancouver
i like visiting the trainyards! there's a few stores that i like to frequent

-dollarama (practically visit that place once/week since i've moved here)
-walmart

also there's an esprit where i hear there are pretty decent deals on clothing. haven't been on a clothing shopping kick lately, but if i were i think i'd check out trainyards first...
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2914 posts
267 upvotes
It's in a weird location alrite.... but it's the closest Wal-Mart and Dollarama to me living Downtown.... much more convenient than South Keys, even with transit (I take route 8 from Laurier and walk a few blocks to the stores)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6955 posts
60 upvotes
Ottawa
Never been there. I only heard about it a few months ago when I saw an ad for it on the bus. I want to check it out, and maybe I'll try to this weekend now that busses are finally running again.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3462 posts
439 upvotes
Ottawa
The only reason it's there is because Walmart wanted a location close to Ottawa's core and its the best location for them because there aren't any NIMBY's nearby. It's not directly on any major arterial streets, hidden from view really. So it's not super convenient to get to. But, since it's not frequented that much, if Walmart has a killer deal, on say diapers, they'll probably still have stock while the other Walmarts have been cleaned out. Haven't been in any of the other stores because it's mostly just repeats of stores in the 'burbs.
Dec 19, 2005
310 posts
230 upvotes
Ottawa
Definitely a much better Walmart than South Keys: much newer and considerably cleaner. I live close to downtown (but have a vehicle)... I just wish that there was a grocery store there. Or a sports store.

I find stuff is generally pretty quiet when I go by in the evenings. It's a bit busier on the weekends.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1787 posts
58 upvotes
Ottawa
jason9945 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2009 10:49 pm
Yes, I have. But you used it poorly.
Oh sorry I should have said a good 5-10k from anything, then maybe YOU would have understood the exagerated sarcasm. But for people from Ottawa they understand, the Trainyards, though probably the closest mall with big box stores to downtown, is awkward to get to by any means of transportation, not easy to get to by bus and you can't really walk there. Why are you commenting in a thread when you don't even live in the city?

Its a great place for finding sale items as not that many people go there.
meagicano wrote:
Feb 10th, 2009 10:59 pm
Definitely a much better Walmart than South Keys: much newer and considerably cleaner. I live close to downtown (but have a vehicle)... I just wish that there was a grocery store there. Or a sports store.
That's the funny part, there's a giant Loeb warehouse across the street, but no grocery there.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3861 posts
171 upvotes
SAN66 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2009 8:14 am
Oh sorry I should have said a good 5-10k from anything, then maybe YOU would have understood the exagerated sarcasm. But for people from Ottawa they understand, the Trainyards, though probably the closest mall with big box stores to downtown, is awkward to get to by any means of transportation, not easy to get to by bus and you can't really walk there. Why are you commenting in a thread when you don't even live in the city?

Its a great place for finding sale items as not that many people go there.

That's the funny part, there's a giant Loeb warehouse across the street, but no grocery there.
Who really wants to shop at Loeb anyways? =/
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3579 posts
108 upvotes
gsrce wrote:
Feb 11th, 2009 9:17 am
Who really wants to shop at Loeb anyways? =/
ah ah ah... it's called metro now :) or will be soon...

I've never been to train yards... the development plans look half decent, especially with residential mix AND if the ottawa train station starts to get used as a transfer location for the o-train. but i agree, i dont know how to get there, and i dont even know what's in there besides wal-mart.

EDIT: just took a look at the site plan... looks like there will be a link from the train station through to the stores/offices. id check it out if i could get off at the TRAIN transitway station.

Proud member of SENS Army
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4069 posts
133 upvotes
CorSter wrote:
Feb 9th, 2009 8:42 pm
It's in a weird location alrite.... but it's the closest Wal-Mart and Dollarama to me living Downtown.... much more convenient than South Keys, even with transit (I take route 8 from Laurier and walk a few blocks to the stores)
+1
I live near Elgin and whenever I want to check out Wal-Mart (haven't been any smoking deals lately though...) I just hop on the highway and I'm there in a few minutes
× < >