Careers

Ottawa to Vancouver Government Job Transfer?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 2:20 pm
[OP]
Mar 25, 2016
29 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond

Ottawa to Vancouver Government Job Transfer?

I’m originally from Vancouver and moved to Ottawa almost 3 years ago for a federal government job. Been looking to move back for a while now but not having much luck at finding similar mid-level positions (data analysis) or similar positions like project management or policy analysis. I don’t have much experience in policy analysis but would like to move into it or into project management. I’m feeling a little dejected at this point — does anyone have any advice on how I could make this move possible without reverting back to an entry-level position? Or does anyone have a similar experience that they can share?

I would like to stay in government — preferably federal.

Thanks!
12 replies
Dec 13, 2017
134 posts
105 upvotes
are you having issues finding a job or are there no jobs avilable on the job board?
[OP]
Mar 25, 2016
29 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond
DontCareyou wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 3:45 pm
are you having issues finding a job or are there no jobs avilable on the job board?
There are very few available on the job board and the ones that are available require the candidate to already be working/ residing in Vancouver.
Dec 13, 2017
134 posts
105 upvotes
xChocolate wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 3:49 pm
There are very few available on the job board and the ones that are available require the candidate to already be working/ residing in Vancouver.
i am not sure how many fedreal govt jobs are there in Vancouver. I would suggest to look into the MUCH sector as well as these are all funded by govt and could use the skills you listed. They tend to have to good pension plans and job security too

MUCH=Municipalities Universities Colleges Health
Aug 3, 2017
83 posts
41 upvotes
There are a few departments with a larger presence in Vancouver. If one of those interests you, reach out to managers and let them know you are looking for a deployment at level. That could get you around the area of selection isssue.
Dec 24, 2007
514 posts
407 upvotes
BC
xChocolate wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 3:39 pm
Not having much luck at finding similar mid-level positions (data analysis) or similar positions like project management or policy analysis. I don’t have much experience in policy analysis but would like to move into it or into project management.
Thanks!
Those sort of jobs (data analysis, project management, policy analysis) are limited in Vancouver except maybe in a Regional Office as those types of jobs are "oversight" rather than "operational". Most Federal jobs in Vancouver are carrying out policy set by Head Office and not setting policy. Mid-level jobs in Vancouver would require Operational experience. Not saying that it is not possible but from my experience in the Federal Government, getting a promotion and going to Ottawa is easy but coming back is really difficult unless you are willing to take a lesser position.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2120 posts
685 upvotes
Edmonton
You’ve been there 3 years and have been looking to move back for a while? Why do you want to go back?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1720 posts
283 upvotes
Which department do you work for?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5849 posts
3023 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
starchoice wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 2:49 pm
You’ve been there 3 years and have been looking to move back for a while? Why do you want to go back?
Man, I never wanted to leave Ottawa once I got here. I can have such a better life here than in Victoria (where I'm from). Pay is better and life is more affordable. Vancouver is insanely overpriced (more so than Victoria). Unless OP already owns a place there or something.
Sep 21, 2004
9496 posts
3166 upvotes
Calgary
Most federal internal job postings have restriction, very often it is office or location restricted. I think OP may have to take a big pay cut if he wants to move back to Vancouver.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Mar 25, 2016
29 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond
eiad77 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:43 am
Which department do you work for?
I work for the CRA, which basically only hires auditors and customer service reps in Vancouver.
starchoice wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 2:49 pm
Family, friends, hiking, food, and weather. I was born and raised in Vancouver so most of my connections are still there. I really miss the hiking and mountains in Vancouver, as well as the selection and quality of asian food. And I never thought I'd say this (before I moved), but I actually miss and enjoy the rain. Plus, Ottawa gets way too cold and way too hot, haha.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5849 posts
3023 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
xChocolate wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:45 pm
I work for the CRA, which basically only hires auditors and customer service reps in Vancouver.

Family, friends, hiking, food, and weather. I was born and raised in Vancouver so most of my connections are still there. I really miss the hiking and mountains in Vancouver, as well as the selection and quality of asian food. And I never thought I'd say this (before I moved), but I actually miss and enjoy the rain. Plus, Ottawa gets way too cold and way too hot, haha.
I don't miss the west coast at all. The gray dismal wet weather depresses the shit out of me.
Dec 24, 2007
514 posts
407 upvotes
BC
xChocolate wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:45 pm
Those are pretty much all the jobs you will get if you want to transfer back to Vancouver. Your chance of getting something in "project management" is pretty much zilch.

First off, "project management" skills are not in high demand and like I said in an earlier posting most probably in a Regional office.
Secondly, before considering anyone from outside their Office area, postings will restrict applicants to their geographical area for budget reasons. There are only so many full-time persons at various levels in the Office. Transferring someone in from outside the area means adding someone else to their existing pool. They'd rather add someone at the lower level than to bring someone in at a higher level especially someone that is a bit of an unknown quantity.