Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 21, 2009
9 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Ottawa Vet- Good and Affordable

I recently moved to Ottawa and am looking for a good and affordable vet. Coming from Toronto, I am a bit shocked at the price difference between the two cities. I live in Ottawa south and I am willing to travel out of the city if need be. Thanks!
87 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
If you're willing to travel a bit, try Colonial Vet in Navan. We always had good experiences with them when we lived in Ottawa.

http://www.colonialvet.ca/
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
Across the river in Aylmer they are about half the price.
Jul 10, 2008
52 posts
10 upvotes
I live in Kanata, and have been taking my pets to Ogdensburg NY for over a year now, as the rates are unbelievably cheap there. It's well worth the trip down, you will save a lot of money.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7895 posts
571 upvotes
Spellbound005 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2012 10:07 am
I recently moved to Ottawa and am looking for a good and affordable vet. Coming from Toronto, I am a bit shocked at the price difference between the two cities. I live in Ottawa south and I am willing to travel out of the city if need be. Thanks!
You found Toronto cheaper than Ottawa? From my chats with friends, I would've guessed the pricing is about on par.
hipfan1 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2012 2:39 pm
I live in Kanata, and have been taking my pets to Ogdensburg NY for over a year now, as the rates are unbelievably cheap there. It's well worth the trip down, you will save a lot of money.
Agree with Hipfan. We took the advice and got our dog neutered down there. Combine it with a shopping trip/US mailing address venture and a tank of gas for extra savings.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
660 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Stock R wrote:
Feb 13th, 2012 11:43 am
You found Toronto cheaper than Ottawa? From my chats with friends, I would've guessed the pricing is about on par.

Agree with Hipfan. We took the advice and got our dog neutered down there. Combine it with a shopping trip/US mailing address venture and a tank of gas for extra savings.

#2 for Ogdensburg.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3392 posts
830 upvotes
Ottawa
Beachdown wrote:
Feb 13th, 2012 12:45 pm
#2 for Ogdensburg.

I was going to take my dog there but after calculating the difference in price between the local vet in Hull or Ogdensburg, both turned out to be the same (I included gas for ogdensburg). You're just saving time by going to Hull.
Jul 10, 2008
52 posts
10 upvotes
shadow_cruiser wrote:
Feb 13th, 2012 9:20 pm
I was going to take my dog there but after calculating the difference in price between the local vet in Hull or Ogdensburg, both turned out to be the same (I included gas for ogdensburg). You're just saving time by going to Hull.
Hey, out of curiosity, how much are the vet's in Hull. I have a friend in Aylmer who started taking his dog to the vet in Ogdensburg because it was cheaper, but perhaps you found a better price for one? Did you compare just the cost of a vet visit, or did you price out procedures (like dental work, vaccines, etc)? I have found a huge difference in not just a normal vet visit, but for these things as well. For example, my one dog needed dental work and my vet in Kanata was going to charge between $600-700, but I paid $128 in NY; vaccines (including vet visit) were $90 for everything, and recently, my dogs got a nasty virus, and one of them needed an x-ray, a radiologist to examine the x-ray, blood work, and iv. The total for all that was a bit over $400. I've done blood work in Ottawa that cost me $300+.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7895 posts
571 upvotes
shadow_cruiser wrote:
Feb 13th, 2012 9:20 pm

I think we need the # for your vet. When we were calling vets for neutering prices, we tried some Hull ones and their pricing was better, but not enough to justify not going down to Ogdensburg.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3392 posts
830 upvotes
Ottawa
hipfan1 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2012 8:15 am
Hey, out of curiosity, how much are the vet's in Hull. I have a friend in Aylmer who started taking his dog to the vet in Ogdensburg because it was cheaper, but perhaps you found a better price for one? Did you compare just the cost of a vet visit, or did you price out procedures (like dental work, vaccines, etc)? I have found a huge difference in not just a normal vet visit, but for these things as well. For example, my one dog needed dental work and my vet in Kanata was going to charge between $600-700, but I paid $128 in NY; vaccines (including vet visit) were $90 for everything, and recently, my dogs got a nasty virus, and one of them needed an x-ray, a radiologist to examine the x-ray, blood work, and iv. The total for all that was a bit over $400. I've done blood work in Ottawa that cost me $300+.
I priced out the cost of a vet visit, vaccines and spaying/neutering. Everything is cheaper in ogdensburg but when you factor in the gas, it's cheaper in Hull. A vet visit in ogdensburg is $30-35 (can't remember the exact number) while a visit in Hull is $55. Vaccines are cheaper in Ogdensburg, I didn't compare the prices though. I didn't ask about dental work either. I listed their number below and you can call to get specific prices on what you want. Ottawa vets cost an arm and a leg, back in Toronto, they were much more affordable. I used to go to Beechwood Animal Hospital before changing to Hull Vet Clinic. Beechwood quoted me $654 to neuter my cat. I single visit there is $99.
Stock R wrote:
Feb 14th, 2012 10:36 am
I think we need the # for your vet. When we were calling vets for neutering prices, we tried some Hull ones and their pricing was better, but not enough to justify not going down to Ogdensburg.
Here's the number http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Quebec/Ga ... 22021.html . Ogdensburg is cheaper but when you factor in gas, both are the same price. It's really up to you which vet you decide. The vet's in Hull are really nice and there's always 4-5 vets working on hand. It's in a small house but they do great work. When I booked my neuter, I didn't need to book 3-4 months in advance like the Ottawa Spay and Neuter clinic, they actually asked if I wanted to come the next day. When I brought my 1 dog and 1 cat there, they took me to the back and showed me where my pets were being held along with other animals that were getting spayed/neutered that day. I think this was awesome in itself they showed me the conditions the animals will be staying in.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7895 posts
571 upvotes
Yeah, gas + time to Ogdensburg isn't always the best choice. For regular visits, we just go to our local vet (3 min drive). However, for the bigger visits, Ogs seems to be a good choice.

I always combine it with multiple purposes
1) Pick up packages waiting for me
2) Fill up full tank of gas (80+L tank)
3) Buy misc from Walmart
4) Eat from $1 menu at McDonalds :)

Thanks for the Hull vet info. I work on the QC side so it may come in quite handy.
Aug 14, 2005
667 posts
16 upvotes
Gloucester
shadow_cruiser wrote:
Feb 12th, 2012 8:37 pm
Hull Veterinary Clinic, cheapest by far in the Ottawa region. $80 for a spay/neuter, who's cheaper than that?. I find they treat you better than my previous vet at Beechwood Animal Hospital also.

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Quebec/Ga ... 22021.html

I too can vouch for this place, brought 2 of my puppies there the past 6 months and i have saved almost half of what i would of paid in Ottawa for spraying/neutering/vaccines.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
Glad someone accounted for gas. I am also not usually one to tout GO CANADA but given the gas, it is worthwhile to atleast keep your money in Canada and support a somewhat local vet clinic. You should also account for time. Just saying. I would rather take the 20 minute drive to Quebec.

I have heard great things about the Hull Clinic as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6790 posts
298 upvotes
Ottawa
Which specific vet at the Hull clinic is good? Or overall good? I'm like 10mins drive away! I'm not too fond of Beechwood at the moment.