• Feb 15th, 2017 2:25 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 10, 2008
48 posts
10 upvotes
shadow_cruiser wrote:
Feb 12th, 2012 8:37 pm
Hull Veterinary Clinic, cheapest by far in the Ottawa region. $80 for a spay/neuter, who's cheaper than that?. I find they treat you better than my previous vet at Beechwood Animal Hospital also.

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Quebec/Ga ... 22021.html
Well I called them today to get some prices, and they are very reasonable! Thank's for the heads up on this clinic, it's good to know that there are some decently priced clinics in this area.

Here's some of the prices I got from them; they are fairly similar to my vet in Ogdensburg. I was surprised at the prices they gave me as I've never seen prices this low in the Ottawa area; although the drive to Hull from Kanata is not much less than to Ogdensburg for me...

Prices don't include tax (while there is no tax in NY for vet fees)
Annual dog vaccines (includes vet consultation which is normally $47.80) $66.90 + $31.70 for lyme disease, if you need it
X-rays: small $130, large $160
IV fluids: $80

I didn't ask about neutering, and I'm curious to know if it's laser surgery or the "old fashion" way. My vet in NY charged about $150 for my large dog (smaller animals are cheaper), and it was laser surgery.

I asked about dental work, but she couldn't price that over the phone because there are too many variables.

I asked about blood work, and she said it was hard to say, but basic blood work is about $50, and could go up to $100-150 depending on what needed to be done.

The other issue, which I didn't ask about, but is worth consideration, is the price of medicine. I've found when I purchased medicine in the States it's much cheaper than in Canada.

I still think you would come out ahead going down to NY, but depending on what you need it may not be worth the time. There is gas to think about too, however, you can also fill up down there and it's about $0.30/litre cheaper in NY.
Jul 11, 2011
59 posts
9 upvotes
Stittsville, ON
We take our Golden Retriever to Osgoode Veterinary Services and have been extremely happy (with Dr. Sparling in particular). I would say their fees are average, although we didn't shop around too much because they were highly recommended by others we know. What you get back in terms of service/knowledge outweighs any cost savings for us.
Jul 10, 2008
48 posts
10 upvotes
paulchi wrote:
Feb 15th, 2012 1:26 pm
We take our Golden Retriever to Osgoode Veterinary Services and have been extremely happy (with Dr. Sparling in particular). I would say their fees are average, although we didn't shop around too much because they were highly recommended by others we know. What you get back in terms of service/knowledge outweighs any cost savings for us.

While it's good you like your vet, you might change your mind in regards to cost savings if you ever have to do anything major (surgery, dental work, etc). I never thought much of the cost I was paying until about a year ago. My local vet said my one dog needed a tooth extraction, which would cost $1000+, or at least dental work which would be over $600. The vet in NY charged me $128 for dental work, and said there was no need for an extraction. Is service worth hundreds, or possibly thousands of dollars to you? Plus, I really like the vet in Ogdensburg; he's a straight shooter who tries do save me $$...

I've already saved well over $1000 is fees over the last year. I've run into a couple of issues (the dental work, my dogs got a bad virus a few months ago), so my vet bills have been higher than I'd like, but if I were taking my animals to a local vet, I'd practically be broke!
[OP]
Feb 21, 2009
9 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Stock R wrote:
Feb 13th, 2012 11:43 am
You found Toronto cheaper than Ottawa? From my chats with friends, I would've guessed the pricing is about on par.

I took my puppy to the Bridletown Warden Animal Hospital in Scarborough and the puppy shots came to $85 including tax. It was suggested by a friend and was closest to my home. The vet was very through and helpful.

There is a cheaper place in Scarborough, Brimley and Lawrence Animal Hospital for $40. The place is not so fancy. My cousins have been taking their dogs there for 10+ years. I only found out about this place after I moved to Ottawa.

I called up the Hull vet mentioned previously and the prices are much cheaper than Ottawa. So I will go by to see the place and it's only 20 mins from home.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Now I have to find a good groomer.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9636 posts
946 upvotes
I had good service at http://lansdowneanimalhospital.ca couple of years back. Costed me about $120ish to spayed a 8 month's dachshund.

My dog recovered in a day if I remembered correctly.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Aug 14, 2005
667 posts
16 upvotes
Gloucester
setell wrote:
Feb 15th, 2012 12:43 pm
Which specific vet at the Hull clinic is good? Or overall good? I'm like 10mins drive away! I'm not too fond of Beechwood at the moment.

I've only dealt with 1 vet, Dr. Kader. Seems really easy going guy and is always very talkative when it comes to my questions and concerns.

He is also English so it might be good if you don't speak or understand french very well.
Aug 14, 2005
667 posts
16 upvotes
Gloucester
hipfan1 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2012 1:17 pm
I didn't ask about neutering, and I'm curious to know if it's laser surgery or the "old fashion" way. My vet in NY charged about $150 for my large dog (smaller animals are cheaper), and it was laser surgery.

My pup is scheduled for neutering next month and i was quoted the following prices:

Under 40lbs - $119+tax
40-60lbs - $139+tax (could of been $129, cant remember).
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3390 posts
828 upvotes
Ottawa
Neutering at the Hull clinic is the "old fashioned way", I didn't ask about laser surgery. I don't see anything wrong doing it this way. 70-80% of clinics do it in this fashion. All the vets in Hull speak fluent English (including the front desk). I hear great things about the vet in ogdensburg. If I lived in Kanata, I would definitely take my dog there as it's almost the same distance to Hull. It just depends where you are in the city.

When I asked the Ottawa SpayNeuter clinic if they were the cheapest in Ottawa, they said "we are by far the cheapest within a 1 hour driving distance from Ottawa" lol. They charge $190 just to neuter a cat.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2130 posts
267 upvotes
Orleans
1 more vote for the clinic in Hull. A lot less expensive.

I don't know why some clinics rip off clients. Money hungry.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7749 posts
487 upvotes
Spellbound005 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2012 7:07 pm
I took my puppy to the Bridletown Warden Animal Hospital in Scarborough and the puppy shots came to $85 including tax. It was suggested by a friend and was closest to my home. The vet was very through and helpful.

Oh, good to know. My parents live right by there. I will keep them in mind for a vet whenever I'm in Toronto.
Mar 31, 2012
1 posts
CARP
hipfan1 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2012 2:31 pm
While it's good you like your vet, you might change your mind in regards to cost savings if you ever have to do anything major (surgery, dental work, etc). I never thought much of the cost I was paying until about a year ago. My local vet said my one dog needed a tooth extraction, which would cost $1000+, or at least dental work which would be over $600. The vet in NY charged me $128 for dental work, and said there was no need for an extraction. Is service worth hundreds, or possibly thousands of dollars to you? Plus, I really like the vet in Ogdensburg; he's a straight shooter who tries do save me $$...

I've already saved well over $1000 is fees over the last year. I've run into a couple of issues (the dental work, my dogs got a bad virus a few months ago), so my vet bills have been higher than I'd like, but if I were taking my animals to a local vet, I'd practically be broke!

What is the name of the clinic you are referring to? I did a quick search for vet clinics in that area and see several of them, such as Veterinary Town and Country. Thank you in advance for your help.
Apr 10, 2012
1 posts
NEPEAN
I am also out in osgoode and not too happy with their pricing. Seems like gouging going on. I get the feeling all the vets get together and set pricing. Seems odd that they all charge about 320-350 for spaying a large dog, but in NY it is much cheaper. I will check the Hull clinic and see what their price is. I dont mind paying more for better quality, but hate paying more for no good reason.
Jul 10, 2008
48 posts
10 upvotes
mickeyh wrote:
Apr 1st, 2012 11:11 am
What is the name of the clinic you are referring to? I did a quick search for vet clinics in that area and see several of them, such as Veterinary Town and Country. Thank you in advance for your help.

I go to Town and Country.
Sep 10, 2007
3 posts
Just called around to country vets for rough estimates on minor surgery for our dog, most places will not give any over the phone.
These are the places I had the most luck with and gave a very rough (high) estimate that was still 1/3 to 1/2 the quote we were originally given by our own vet.
-St. Lawrence Vet Clinic (Kingston)
-Lanark Vet Clinic (Smiths Falls)
-Hull Vet Clinic (Hull, QC)
-Town & Country (Ogdensburg, NY)