Ottawa Vet- Good and Affordable

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2017 2:25 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 18, 2004
81 posts
4 upvotes
Wow! Thank god for RFD. I go to Ogdensburg for so much, but didn't even think of going for a vet. Though I bought my puppy from Albany.

My large puppy 6 months (50lbs), is gonig to be $150 for the spay in Ogdensburg compared to $400+ at the vet my my house in the West End. Even the Hull vet was $275. I was originally going to go to the city spay/neuter clininc but the waiting list is crazy and they never answer their phone, PLUS Ogdensburg is cheaper!

For my other dog, my old vet recommended have a tooth extracted at the cost of $1,000. I have been putting this off due to the cost, but Ogdensburg does it for $150 and if two teeth need to come out or the plaque is really bad it's only $200!

So just in one week save over $1K! Amazing what a little research can do, thanks for everyone who recommended various options! It's nice to have a good vet in the city in case of emergency and an alternative in Ogdensburg for the non-emergency things to save $$.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2062 posts
233 upvotes
SirLurksAlot wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 11:58 am
Wow! Thank god for RFD. I go to Ogdensburg for so much, but didn't even think of going for a vet. Though I bought my puppy from Albany.

My large puppy 6 months (50lbs), is gonig to be $150 for the spay in Ogdensburg compared to $400+ at the vet my my house in the West End. Even the Hull vet was $275. I was originally going to go to the city spay/neuter clininc but the waiting list is crazy and they never answer their phone, PLUS Ogdensburg is cheaper!

For my other dog, my old vet recommended have a tooth extracted at the cost of $1,000. I have been putting this off due to the cost, but Ogdensburg does it for $150 and if two teeth need to come out or the plaque is really bad it's only $200!

So just in one week save over $1K! Amazing what a little research can do, thanks for everyone who recommended various options! It's nice to have a good vet in the city in case of emergency and an alternative in Ogdensburg for the non-emergency things to save $$.
I'm looking at the same options...my 11 week old puppies are nearly 20lbs already so they will be big when it's time to spay and neuter. I just want to know if things like a longish journey (1hr +) back for the dog in the car is a problem after surgery etc. One of my dogs gets motion sickness too which might not help.
Nov 16, 2007
439 posts
53 upvotes
Thanks for the good information. My dog just got quoted between 800-1200 for dental surgery from the Osgoode vet (Dr Sparling). He could not commit to what he is going to do before the surgery (so it could be a cleaning or it could be a complete teeth removal). But I just want all the teeth pulled. He is 14 and is battling chronic teeth infections (poor guy). I am going to call the Town and Country vet.

What do you do for overnight stays as I imagine our little guy will need?
Jul 10, 2008
48 posts
10 upvotes
walshsurvey wrote:
Apr 19th, 2012 2:24 am
Thanks for the good information. My dog just got quoted between 800-1200 for dental surgery from the Osgoode vet (Dr Sparling). He could not commit to what he is going to do before the surgery (so it could be a cleaning or it could be a complete teeth removal). But I just want all the teeth pulled. He is 14 and is battling chronic teeth infections (poor guy). I am going to call the Town and Country vet.

What do you do for overnight stays as I imagine our little guy will need?

If he needs to stay overnight, then that's no problem. One of my guys had to stay overnight; I just picked him up the next day.
May 7, 2012
1 posts
ST CATHARINES
Could you list the link to the name and number of this vet in ogdensburg who quoted you $150 for a tooth extraction. I would drive the 3 hours to have my dogs tooth pulled as I was quoted $725 today!!!

SirLurksAlot wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 11:58 am
Thanks in advance

Jul 30, 2012
1 posts
CHESTERVILLE
Thanks so much for this thread! We had a litter of kittens born at the end of February and one of them became quite ill for some time. I can't tell you the amount of money we've spent at both Dundas and Osgoode vet clinics!! We need to neuter the male kitten, and you can bet we'll be bringing him to Ogdensburg for it. Thanks so much, all of you who recommended the Ogdensburg Town & Country vet...I wish I had come across this sooner!
Oct 5, 2007
3 posts
Just the info I was looking for. Thanks for the post.
Stock R wrote:
Feb 15th, 2012 10:53 am
Yeah, gas + time to Ogdensburg isn't always the best choice. For regular visits, we just go to our local vet (3 min drive). However, for the bigger visits, Ogs seems to be a good choice.

I always combine it with multiple purposes
1) Pick up packages waiting for me
2) Fill up full tank of gas (80+L tank)
3) Buy misc from Walmart
4) Eat from $1 menu at McDonalds :)

Thanks for the Hull vet info. I work on the QC side so it may come in quite handy.
Feb 11, 2013
2 posts
OTTAWA
Whatever you do avoid the Westboro Animal Hospital in Ottawa. They charged me excessively for my dog's medications (which I had to pay monthly) and charge unreasonably for food and other things. I suggest going to a vet in Hull or Ogs as others have mentioned.
Apr 23, 2008
389 posts
51 upvotes
Kanata
Just wanted to post a little update on the Clinique vétérinaire de Hull. They moved to 546 St-Joseph, at the intersection of St-Raymond, which is quite convenient. I went after looking at this thread to get my cat looked at for various symptoms. I saw Dr. Josée Chantigny and she was awesome. She spent about 30 minutes with me, explained all the possible reasons for his symptoms, all the costs involved and was really nice to my cat. She really seemed to care. I ended up only getting a blood test done (not sure if it's the standard test or not, but they tested the kidney functions, thyroid and glucose) and the test was $150, and the visit $50. Total came to $229.xx including taxes, which was, I'm sure, much lower than what I would have paid in Ottawa. They did the testing on-site and called me in the evening to let me know the results. We spoke on the phone for about 10 minutes this week as well to explain treatment options, so it's nice I didn't have to go in and pay another visit fee.

Turns out my cat has diabetes, and I told the doctor that we live in the West end of Ottawa and can't travel to the clinic all the time for little things, and she told me it's fine if I buy supplies and other things from vets in Ottawa. For interested people, a urinary test (to check for urinary diseases or infections) is $41.50, NoSorb rocks are $8 per little container (she recommended only using one) and the demonstration on how to do the blood testing and injecting insulin will be free. I love that they're open on Saturdays and until 7pm on weekdays. They are also fully bilingual. I'm definitely never going to an Ottawa vet again!

Does anybody know of any vets in Ottawa that have Purina DM canned food on sale right now or generally have lower prices? I want to try it out to see if that food works well for my cat or not. The Clinique had all the food at 10% off until the end of February I think so it's too late now.
Mar 26, 2013
1 posts
Hi all. I just went to the Clinique Veterinaire de Hull today. Overall, the prices are cheaper for basic items here than in Ottawa. I was at Beechwood AH before and just for the vet to put their hands on my dog, it was 79+. I believe a fecal test was 50+ and blood work I'm not sure. Likely over 150. Comparatively, the CVH was 55 for the exam, 16.50 for the fecal test and 130 for the blood work.

It looks like I have to get 2 pretty major teeth pulled for my little guy. The quote that I received was quite high. Perhaps it would be 50% higher in Ottawa, but I was a bit disheartened to see the price from CVH. Here is he breakdown:

- Anaesthetic and Teeth Cleaning: $350
- Tooth Extractions: $200 (if all goes well), $400 if they are more complicated
- X-Ray: $150 (Not mandatory)
- IV Fluids: $80 (Not mandatory)
- Pain Meds: $28

The total(s) after tax were $959 (if all goes well) and $1189 if the teeth are more difficult. I don't know. That seems like a lot of money to me. Anyone else had tooth extractions done in the Ottawa/Gatineau area who might be able to compare prices?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5142 posts
657 upvotes
South of Ottawa
I've never had dental work on my dogs, but you really should find out the cost over in Ogdensburg. I've been in there a few times when people had their dogs/cats in for tooth extractions, cleaning, etc. and the savings were substantial.

I was there yesterday for two of mine:

Office call: $50 (for both dogs)
Rabies (3 year): $16 (one dog)
DHLP: $16 (one dog)
No tax.
Jun 19, 2010
80 posts
9 upvotes
I'm going to have to look into the Ogdensburg clinic for pricing. My dog needs an extensive tooth cleaning and possibly teeth pulled and the local place was telling me it would be around $800 with bloodwork and not counting if extractions need to be done.

What is the name/contact info for the place in NY that people are recommending?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5142 posts
657 upvotes
South of Ottawa
emmsmama wrote:
Mar 30th, 2013 7:21 pm
I'm going to have to look into the Ogdensburg clinic for pricing. My dog needs an extensive tooth cleaning and possibly teeth pulled and the local place was telling me it would be around $800 with bloodwork and not counting if extractions need to be done.

What is the name/contact info for the place in NY that people are recommending?
I currently use:

Town & Country Veterinary Clinic
904 Country Route 4
Ogdensburg, NY 13669
Phone: 315-393-7338

I've used this one in the past. I don't anymore just because I have a hard time getting all three of my dogs in at the same time...they're very busy, only 1 vet. But the care was excellent.
Bridge Port Veterinary Clinic
(315) 393-4900
5962 State Highway 812, Ogdensburg, NY 13669

Pricing was similar at both clinics.
Jun 19, 2010
80 posts
9 upvotes
Thank you very much for the info. I'll be contacting them on Tuesday!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5142 posts
657 upvotes
South of Ottawa
emmsmama wrote:
Mar 31st, 2013 7:19 pm
Thank you very much for the info. I'll be contacting them on Tuesday!
You're welcome.

Fyi, they're open tomorrow. Not a holiday in the U.S.