Tags:
None
Jun 19, 2010
80 posts
9 upvotes
Beachdown wrote:
Mar 31st, 2013 7:40 pm
You're welcome.

Fyi, they're open tomorrow. Not a holiday in the U.S.
Great, will call them today then.

As a sidenote, do you do any shipping to the US? I used to ship to a mailbox service in Detroit when I lived closeby, but haven't done that since moving up near Ottawa, but if there's an easy place to ship to in Ogdensburg then I'll likely do some shopping and shipping to coincide with my dog's vet visit.
Jun 19, 2010
80 posts
9 upvotes
So, I called and they said around $300-400 including bloodwork (which I would definitely do since my dog is 13 yrs. old), anaesthetic, and $30 for a pre-op visit. If he needs teeth pulled or more extensive work it might be more, but $300-400 definitely beats $700-800 locally, even counting the gas for the drive. The only thing that sucks is they said that they can't do everything in one day. I'd have to go over with my dog twice: once for the pre-op visit and a second time for the actual dental work. I'm still thinking it's worth it cost-wise since I have a little car that doesn't use much gas (roughly $10/100km), but it's a big hassle to go over twice and it definitely makes the savings more questionable. I guess it's good to get a feel for the place at the pre-op before I bring my dog there for dental work, and if I was in Ottawa it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but I'm 1.5 hrs. from Ottawa, so it's a fairly lengthy trip. My hubby has to be in Ottawa next week for something so I might try to coincide the pre-op with that time so it's not as much out of the way.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5127 posts
653 upvotes
South of Ottawa
emmsmama wrote:
Apr 1st, 2013 10:15 am
Great, will call them today then.

As a sidenote, do you do any shipping to the US? I used to ship to a mailbox service in Detroit when I lived closeby, but haven't done that since moving up near Ottawa, but if there's an easy place to ship to in Ogdensburg then I'll likely do some shopping and shipping to coincide with my dog's vet visit.
Here's a thread that lists shipping locations. I use the Corporate Centrer but it's not always convenient as they're not open outside normal business hours. I think most people use UPS.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/round-up ... s-1208993/

There isn't much in the way of shopping - Walmart, Lowes, TSC (very inexpensive dog food - $45 for 30lb bag of TOTW, Blue Buffalo, etc.), grocery store (check the Price chopper flyer for specials) and that's about it. Gas was $3.95/gallon last Thursday.
Aug 18, 2011
2 posts
Ottawa
Hi,
I don't know if you still access this forum, but I have a question. What do I need to take with me to be able to cross the border with the dog to go to the vet ?
Jun 19, 2010
80 posts
9 upvotes
When I googled I found out that you need a current rabies shot at least 30 days prior to bringing your dog over. I was going to get my dog's shot while stateside because he wasn't current, but I didn't want to risk problems at the border, so he got his shot a couple weekends ago and then I'll be bringing him over mid-May. I read in some places that they often don't even ask for the papers, but I didn't want to risk getting turned around after driving all that way.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2488 posts
227 upvotes
Vancouver
Going down across the border (Prescott crossing) with our dog we were never asked for papers. However, one time coming back into Canada the border guard asked to see proof of vaccinations.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5127 posts
653 upvotes
South of Ottawa
I've never been asked, in either direction.

And I do believe that even if they do ask (going into the U.S.), if you're going to the vet to get the shot, the worse case scenario is they ask you to stop on your way back to provide proof.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2488 posts
227 upvotes
Vancouver
Doesn't hurt either way to keep vaccination papers on you when you bring the dog across the border.

The one time the border guard was anal and requested to see the vaccination papers, they just happened to be in the trunk. We had to pull over to secondary and walk the papers in to show them. We were told good thing we had them or else our dog would have been put in quarantine. :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5127 posts
653 upvotes
South of Ottawa
litebrite wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2013 7:02 pm
Doesn't hurt either way to keep vaccination papers on you when you bring the dog across the border.

The one time the border guard was anal and requested to see the vaccination papers, they just happened to be in the trunk. We had to pull over to secondary and walk the papers in to show them. We were told good thing we had them or else our dog would have been put in quarantine. :facepalm:
Most of these guys don't know what they're talking about. If it was an issue, they would have to call and have an APHIS inspector come and check the dog out. And if there is a quarantine, it's with you, ie. a place of your choosing, basically meaning you can't let your dog near other dogs/animals.

I do agree though, better safe than sorry. I bring my younger doodle with me when I go so I can bring dog food back. I always have her papers.
Jun 24, 2008
1 posts
We have a dog who's under 20 lbs, and we just got quoted from the Spay/Neuter clinic 230-255$ for his surgery. Clinique Veterinaire Hull (our vet) is $165 (and if he's under 40 but above 20 lbs it's 205$ - excellent. I think it would have been a good $300something at our vet's office - Carling Animal Hospital. The care at both clinics (and the spay neuter clinic) are terrific. Our dog will be getting neutered in Hull. :)

They offered 2 optional additional services-
$72.50 for pre anasthetic bloodwork (to ensure his liver etc can handle anesthaesia and $80 for an IV fluid line in case they need to do something, and to help him come out of sedation quicker.
Additionally there is a cost of $10 for the cone of shame. So if you have one, you can save yourself that fee.

I'm so grateful to RFD for showing this clinic to me - we love it so far. :)
Jun 19, 2010
80 posts
9 upvotes
I never thought to ask when I booked my appointment, but does Town & Country in NY take credit card payment? Also, for those who have had dental work done there, did they do any extractions for your pet, and if so did your pet heal up quickly?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5127 posts
653 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Never had dental work, but yes, they take cc.
Jun 19, 2010
80 posts
9 upvotes
Well, my dog had dental work done on Monday. I ended up being able to take him for the exam and the dental work on the same day.

The exam only lasted about 10 mins., and most of that was me asking questions about the procedure. I wasn't happy with some of the answers to my questions that the vet gave (regarding IV, warming, extractions). Instead of putting my mind at ease, I felt nervous that I may have traded high quality care for saving $$ (not saying that was actually the case, but that's the way I felt), but maybe she's just not used to people asking questions about a fairly common procedure in their practice, or maybe I was being extra sensitive because my 13-yr.-old dog was going to go under anesthetic for the procedure. I got a good vibe from the vet tech though, and from the sounds of it she was going to be doing most of the procedure.

The place was very clean, and the staff was friendly and helpful. I couldn't believe how busy it was there! The parking lot and the waiting room were full both when I brought my dog in and when I picked him up.

The procedure went well. They pulled two small teeth and although a couple places still looked a bit discoloured, that might be permanent discolouring, and my dog's teeth look a million times better. My dog was a bit wobbly the first night, but he was back to his usual self the next day. I also received a follow up call today which I thought was really nice.

I had bloodwork and an exam done locally and was given a quote of $450-650 (+tax) for the dental work, depending on the level of cleaning necessary and if any extractions needed to be done. The total cost from Town & Country, including the exam fee and antibiotics for at home was $197. So, even counting approx. $50 for gas going there and back, I saved at least $250 (counting 13% tax if I would have had it done in Canada).
Jul 3, 2013
1 posts
Ottawa
I lived in Scarborough, and HIGHLY recommend Brimley Lawrence Animal Clinic. The prices are unbeatable, the staff is awesome and the care is excellent. They were able to see my little guy on an hour's notice one evening. The clinic may not look great, but don't judge a book by it's cover.

I think I'll be calling the clinic in Hull, as little guy's eye is flaring up again.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5127 posts
653 upvotes
South of Ottawa
adarling wrote:
Jul 4th, 2013 9:31 pm
I lived in Scarborough, and HIGHLY recommend Brimley Lawrence Animal Clinic. The prices are unbeatable, the staff is awesome and the care is excellent. They were able to see my little guy on an hour's notice one evening. The clinic may not look great, but don't judge a book by it's cover.

I think I'll be calling the clinic in Hull, as little guy's eye is flaring up again.
Huh? The thread is about OTTAWA vets, not Toronto.