• Feb 15th, 2017 2:25 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 25, 2008
591 posts
20 upvotes
how about emergency and weekends?
what is the fee for hull and odensberg?
Surgery such as hip ...can the hull and odensberg do it?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3666 posts
189 upvotes
We've never used an American vet for surgeries, etc, but the cost of flea/tick and heart worm pills is way less than here. And they're sold in petsmart. Exact same brands, half the price. Don't get it.
Proud member of SENS Army
Jul 25, 2008
591 posts
20 upvotes
btw..what paperwork for the puppy/dog do we need to cross border and back?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5142 posts
657 upvotes
South of Ottawa
CF77 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2013 7:00 pm
btw..what paperwork for the puppy/dog do we need to cross border and back?
You need a rabies vaccination certificate. They don't usually ask for it, but have it handy.
Jun 19, 2010
80 posts
9 upvotes
I can't remember for sure, but I think I got asked for it going over and coming back, however, I was also asked for it at the vet hospital. The vet even mentioned how they ask for the certificate, not just tags because people can fake the tags (get them from someone else) and can even fake the certificate, but they can check it in their computers to make sure it's a valid certificate and tag.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7394 posts
96 upvotes
CF77 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2013 5:37 pm
how about emergency and weekends?
what is the fee for hull...?
Emergency appointments are just under $100 iirc, so quite expensive. However, if you asked if they had any last minute cancellation appointments and just booked a "routine" visit it was around $50. Even if they didn't have any cancellation appointments they're usually pretty good with accommodating last minute bookings so I would go with that route.
Apr 23, 2008
389 posts
51 upvotes
Kanata
The Hull clinic is open on Saturdays for a few hours. Other than that, if it's not during weekday open hours, if you have an emergency you're SOL. That's what happened to me when my cat ate chocolate (okay, chocolate covered bacon...). I contacted the clinic via their Facebook page and they replied (at least that!) to contact the Alta Vista emergency clinic, which I did and it cost a lot of money :( I'm still glad that they're open late every day and on Saturdays though.
Aug 27, 2013
3 posts
Hey! no need to travel out of the city. You can choose mobile veterinarians rather than bringing your beloved pet to a clinic. I suggest you one good mobile vet in Toronto called house call vet. Go here http://housecallingvet.ca/contact us/ for more details.
Aug 27, 2013
3 posts
Hey! no need to travel out of the city. You can choose mobile veterinarians rather than bringing your beloved pet to a clinic. I suggest you one good mobile vet in Toronto called house call vet. Go here http://housecallingvet.ca/contact us/ for more details.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5142 posts
657 upvotes
South of Ottawa
PavaniC830 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2013 8:07 pm
Considering this thread is about Ottawa, you need to allocate your spamming resources a little better. :rolleyes:
Jan 16, 2014
4 posts
Ottawa
I noticed one of the posters asked why some vets in Ottawa chose to rip people off (when comparing vet rates to the Hull vet). The issue actually is due to government regulation. In the province of Quebec, vet rates are regulated by the government, so all vets have to charge similar rates for similar services. Whereas in Ontario, vets are completely private (no regulation, for rates anyway), so vets in Ontario can charge whatever they want. This has led vets to gradually increase their rates over the years, which has led to today's ridiculously high vet rates here in Ottawa. I always go to the Montee Paiement Animal Hospital, where the vet is Dr. Rheault. He is amazing, very kind, very caring, and takes great care of my pets. And since he's on the Quebec side, his rates are a fraction of what Ottawa clinics charge (same rates as the Hull clinic that many in this forum have mentioned). My 19yr old cat was extremely ill one night, so I rushed over for an emergency visit. I had to put her down that night unfortunately. But the final bill was less than $150. That included a full examination and diagnosis, an emergency visit (late-night) surcharge (scheduled appointments are considerably cheaper), and the euthanizing and disposal of my "Sweet Pea".
May 1, 2014
1 posts
Nepean, ON
Manatus wrote:
Feb 12th, 2012 10:44 am
If you're willing to travel a bit, try Colonial Vet in Navan. We always had good experiences with them when we lived in Ottawa.

http://www.colonialvet.ca/
dont waste ur time they have been the most expensive i have come across in ottawa
May 11, 2014
1 posts
Ottawa, ON
I realize your post is a few years old now, but would you mind sharing the name of the vet clinic you use in Ogdensburg? My pup needs a tumour removed but the $2700 quote here in Kanata is just way beyond our budget! Thanks for any help!
hipfan1 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2012 2:39 pm
I live in Kanata, and have been taking my pets to Ogdensburg NY for over a year now, as the rates are unbelievably cheap there. It's well worth the trip down, you will save a lot of money.