Ottawa Vet- Good and Affordable

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2017 2:25 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 10, 2008
48 posts
10 upvotes
Hope my reply isn't too late but my vet is town and country vet, Dr. Zeh.
May 3, 2014
2 posts
Ottawa, ON
[quote="Stock R" post_id="14269735" time="1329321182" user_id="16493"]Yeah, gas + time to Ogdensburg isn't always the best choice. For regular visits, we just go to our local vet (3 min drive). However, for the bigger visits, Ogs seems to be a good choice.

I always combine it with multiple purposes
1) Pick up packages waiting for me
2) Fill up full tank of gas (80+L tank)
3) Buy misc from Walmart
4) Eat from $1 menu at McDonalds :)

Thanks for the Hull vet info. I work on the QC side so it may come in quite handy.[QUOTE]
Mar 17, 2011
1 posts
This thread is very useful, but getting a bit old so I thought I'd try to revive it. I was quoted $268 (surgery)+$23 (painkillers)+$85 (IV fluids)+$80(pre-op blood work) for a spay for my 11 lb dog at the Hull Vet Clinic this week. All of this is before tax. The Ottawa Spay and Neuter Clinic is $316 including taxes and includes everything listed above except the pre-op blood work, which they recommend getting at another vet prior to bringing your dog for spaying. Looks like the Hull Vet Clinic realized what a deal it was offering and upped its prices...

However, it's still less than Ottawa vets: Algonquin Animal Hospital quoted $629 including tax for the entire procedure including pre-op blood work. Cedarview Animal Hospital was about the same. If Quebec taxes are the same as Ontario's 13%, it's still a savings of just over $100 to go to Gatineau.
Apr 23, 2008
389 posts
51 upvotes
Kanata
ShawnaC wrote:
Mar 24th, 2016 4:03 pm
This thread is very useful, but getting a bit old so I thought I'd try to revive it. I was quoted $268 (surgery)+$23 (painkillers)+$85 (IV fluids)+$80(pre-op blood work) for a spay for my 11 lb dog at the Hull Vet Clinic this week. All of this is before tax. The Ottawa Spay and Neuter Clinic is $316 including taxes and includes everything listed above except the pre-op blood work, which they recommend getting at another vet prior to bringing your dog for spaying. Looks like the Hull Vet Clinic realized what a deal it was offering and upped its prices...

However, it's still less than Ottawa vets: Algonquin Animal Hospital quoted $629 including tax for the entire procedure including pre-op blood work. Cedarview Animal Hospital was about the same. If Quebec taxes are the same as Ontario's 13%, it's still a savings of just over $100 to go to Gatineau.
I think that price sounds pretty reasonable. I had my cat spayed about 3 months ago in Hull and it was $180 plus the painkiller meds. The IV fluids and blood work were optional and I didn't take them. For the difference in size between my kitten and your 11 lb dog, that sounds about right.
Sep 6, 2005
276 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
I read a mention of the Hull clinic raising prices, but didn't see any listed. Assuming this is the clinic, http://www.veterinairehull.ca/our_services.php they don't even have Spay/Neuter listed? I will call on Monday, but in the meantime - anyone have any current info on it?

I have a 6 month old male cat so I'm looking for a cheaper option than the Ottawa Spay Neuter clinic.
Jun 15, 2006
44 posts
Given the low canadian $, are people still finding it cheaper in Ogdensburg?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5111 posts
651 upvotes
South of Ottawa
greatphil wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 3:15 pm
Given the low canadian $, are people still finding it cheaper in Ogdensburg?
I think for routine stuff, it's a wash. For more expensive treatments (dental, neuters, etc.) it's still cheaper.
Jan 30, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
The Vet Clinic in Hull cost $300 for a spay plus tax. More expensive than spay/neuter clinic in Ottawa. At Bridgeport in Ogdensburg, even with the difference in the dollar, it's still cheaper. Dental extractions are cheaper, vaccines, etc. and I've shopped around. The people there are awesome. Highly recommend. My two cents worth anyway.
May 18, 2015
964 posts
199 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
User554434 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 7:17 pm
The Vet Clinic in Hull cost $300 for a spay plus tax. More expensive than spay/neuter clinic in Ottawa. At Bridgeport in Ogdensburg, even with the difference in the dollar, it's still cheaper. Dental extractions are cheaper, vaccines, etc. and I've shopped around. The people there are awesome. Highly recommend. My two cents worth anyway.
Anything you need to do to bring dog over the border?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5111 posts
651 upvotes
South of Ottawa
nikels21 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 1:22 pm
Anything you need to do to bring dog over the border?
You just need a rabies certificate. I've never been asked, but keep it in the car in case they do.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel