• Dec 8th, 2017 11:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2171 posts
541 upvotes
Mississauga

Ottawa woman charged for allegedly driving 60 km/h under limit on Hwy 401

"They say the callers said the car was in the fast lane with its high beams on.

OPP made several attempts to get the driver to pull onto the right shoulder, but eventually had to make a tandem stop with cruisers at the front and rear of the vehicle to move it off the highway.

They say the driver told officers she believed the speed limit was 50 km/h.

A 47-year-old woman is charged with unnecessary slow driving, failing to obey signs and not having an insurance card."

LInk: http://www.680news.com/2017/12/07/ottaw ... t-hwy-401/

So no ticket for needlessly driving with the highbeams on?
41 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7920 posts
966 upvotes
Markham
Viperoni wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 5:32 pm

OPP made several attempts to get the driver to pull onto the right shoulder, but eventually had to make a tandem stop with cruisers at the front and rear of the vehicle to move it off the highway.

And no charge for that?

So the police cars siren next to you, and behind you, you just keep on driving and no charge for that?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jul 5, 2011
989 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Consider that she has likely been driving around for years blinding people with her high beams.

Ugh.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Apr 29, 2017
222 posts
208 upvotes
If only they ticketed slow drivers more often. It's not uncommon to see people driving 60-80 on the highway with nothing in front of them, and the sheep that are so unsure of themselves doing the same in the adjacent lanes all driving side by side with eachother to feel more confident they are doing it right, creating superficial traffic.
Last edited by prochargedv8 on Dec 7th, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7920 posts
966 upvotes
Markham
xjesterxx wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 5:38 pm
Consider that she has likely been driving around for years blinding people with her high beams.

Ugh.
Not surprise, I 'm sure a lot of people out there are driving with Highbeams on.
Their theory is I rather see better, other people got blind by my High beams? Too bad for them.
A lot of self fish people.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16687 posts
1065 upvotes
Niagara Falls
There is a lady that does something similar in Niagara. Of course not nearly that slow or dangerous considering the highway involved, but it amazes me how people can be so dumb and why the heck they'd want to go to the far left lane to do this. The one in Niagara must take the same way to work every morning, but she does between 60-70 in the passing lane on a 80km/h highway all the way down. I've only encountered her once but I was ranting about it and my coworked piped up and said was the license plate "bemp XXX"? I checked my dashcam and sure enough. Same lady. When he used to start work at 8, he'd get stuck by her every day.

There need to be more cops that give out tickets to people going too slow in the passing lanes forcing other drivers to go around them. Just move over, you're clearly not in a hurry to go anywhere anyways.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
2107 posts
697 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
Should have removed her driver license:
  • Can't read a speed limit sign properly
  • Doesn't know what the fast lane is for
  • Doesn't know what high beams are for
  • Didn't pull over when officers told her too

What does it take for a people to lose a license?
Last edited by MoneyHypeMike on Dec 7th, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2171 posts
541 upvotes
Mississauga
prochargedv8 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 5:40 pm
If only they ticketed slow drivers more often. It's not uncommon to see people driving 60-80 on the highway with nothing in front of them, and the sheep that are so unsure of themselves doing the same in the adjacent lanes all driving side by side with eachother to feel more confident they are doing it the right, creating superficial traffic.
Agreed.

I once saw a funeral procession go from the right lane of the 427 express northbound to the far left lane, all while doing 75-80kmh.
This was to go to the 401 west bound... which they did NOT need to be in the left lane for either (2nd from the left would have been fine).

It's like they were trying to garner more business.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2171 posts
541 upvotes
Mississauga
MoneyHypeMike wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 5:45 pm
Should have removed her driver license:
  • Can't read a speed limit sign properly
  • Doesn't know what the fast lane is for
  • Doesn't know what high beams are for
  • Didn't pull over when officers told her too

What does it take for a people to lose a license?
Funnily enough, it takes less than what the lady was going under the speed limit, over it, to get your license taken away (she was going 60kmh under the limit, whereas you lose your license for going 50kmh over).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5282 posts
666 upvotes
I am all for this, but do they clearly define a minimum?

On the 401 the max is 100kms/hr. That is defined and displayed on road signs. So, any faster than that is technically breaking the law. Although we all go by the "flow of traffic" rule and drive 120.

But how slow is too slow? Let's say right hand lane, can you drive 95? What about 85? What about 65? You are in the lane where everyone should just pass you and drive on. Is This clearly stated anywhere?
Apr 24, 2014
725 posts
243 upvotes
Reading this just made my blood boil.

But seriously, what's with the sudden influx of people driving with their high beams on? Majority of the offenders drive 9th gen+ Civics..
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16687 posts
1065 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Gutty96 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 5:55 pm
I am all for this, but do they clearly define a minimum?

On the 401 the max is 100kms/hr. That is defined and displayed on road signs. So, any faster than that is technically breaking the law. Although we all go by the "flow of traffic" rule and drive 120.

But how slow is too slow? Let's say right hand lane, can you drive 95? What about 85? What about 65? You are in the lane where everyone should just pass you and drive on. Is This clearly stated anywhere?
According to Ontario law it the min speed is not spelled out but there is verbiage in the HTA to cover the situation.
Slow vehicles to travel on right side
147 (1) Any vehicle travelling upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at that time and place shall, where practicable, be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 147 (1).
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3569 posts
547 upvotes
That's why, and I believe, Montreal has Min. Speed limit sign.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8