OTTO construction delay - Countrywide

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2018 2:22 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2017
1043 posts
836 upvotes
BC
TrafficEng wrote: Yes they can finish a home in 4-5 mths. Will they is another question due to lack of workers
120 homes in 5 months? Sure, if everything goes absolutely perfectly for them, and they find hundreds of *available* experienced tradespeople, and all the owners ask for no changes whatsoever. I'm not so interested in whether they make the deadline as in the types of problems uncovered after.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
134 upvotes
Furcorn wrote: 120 homes in 5 months? Sure, if everything goes absolutely perfectly for them, and they find hundreds of *available* experienced tradespeople, and all the owners ask for no changes whatsoever. I'm not so interested in whether they make the deadline as in the types of problems uncovered after.
Question was can they... answer is easily. 5 mths is a long time to build a townhouse for a builder like countrywide.
Jan 6, 2012
303 posts
85 upvotes
TrafficEng wrote: Question was can they... answer is easily. 5 mths is a long time to build a townhouse for a builder like countrywide.
ty for feedback...in this case the builder is not nearly as big as countrywide...i wonder if they'll be able to get the workers. 120 towns seems like a lot in that space of time...
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
134 upvotes
sweetlady123 wrote: ty for feedback...in this case the builder is not nearly as big as countrywide...i wonder if they'll be able to get the workers. 120 towns seems like a lot in that space of time...
Otto is by countrywide homes I thought?
Jan 6, 2012
303 posts
85 upvotes
TrafficEng wrote: Otto is by countrywide homes I thought?
i was just adding to this thread that my friend is in a similar situation, but with a smaller more regionally-known buider in the hamilton area, not a big builder like countrywide or mattamy. it seems unrealistic that 120 could be built in such a short space of time, but im worried for him because they did get the foundations in through the winter. i dont know what the site looks like now, other than they changed cabinetry maker and quickly trying to get everyone to reselect. he is scheduled to reselect by end of march...closing (or occupancy i guess) supposedly due by august.
Oct 1, 2012
49 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Otto builder contacted me today to inform me that the PDI will be delayed to the day before closing. Is this even allowed? How do I provide my lawyer with information regarding the PDI if its only 1 day before the closing?
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
679 upvotes
150dpi wrote: Otto builder contacted me today to inform me that the PDI will be delayed to the day before closing. Is this even allowed? How do I provide my lawyer with information regarding the PDI if its only 1 day before the closing?
What does your lawyer have to do with PDI?
Sep 12, 2017
15 posts
2 upvotes
hiphopforce wrote: Countrywide Homes is having toooooooo many projects ongoing at once. They can go beyond the Firm Closing Date and you can apply for a max of $7500 with Tarion once you closed. The builder has made plenty off the pricing of these homes, so $7500 isn't much to them. They might offer you $7500 decor credits or even go upto $10000 just to tempt you to not file the $7500 with Tarion. Reject that. $7500 real money is better than decor dollars!

I once bought one of the CW Homes in Newmarket, it was delayed for a total of 2 years, everything worked out fine in the end. Got my $7500. The house was beautiful and the workmanship is even better than my Greenpark home now. So don't panic, delays are quite common the past few years due to the crazy # of developments going on. Especially CW Homes are having tons of sites going on at the same time.

I remember one of my former neighbour, their house had a roofer that was hired out from Alberta (who has over 15 yrs of experience) and the builder want "quality" workers (not sure if that is true or not). But then I can be very confident to say my house was near flawless. Lots of great attention to details. The PDI was just very very minor cosmetic stuff and all were fixed to satisfaction prior to closing.

With the current tight mortgage rules, plus I cannot imagine it being anymore tighter, if you get until end of the year to close or even possible in 2019. Maybe things will turn around a bit, or atleast hopefully it gets easier for the first timers and real home owners.
A lot of my mortgage leads are having issue closing their new built between May-June because of the new rule in place. Most lenders would only honour those who had closing between Jan to April (using the 120 days hold) and firm up their mortgage prior to 2018. We manage to get some squeezed through in Jan for those that has an active application in progress prior to Dec 31 and got exceptions. Now the serious home owners are put in hot water situation. Some turns to Alternative-A lending (mid 4s rate and 1% fee) but atleast the higher ratios will put them through the qualifying rate of over 5s.

So look on the brighter side of things and don't panic just yet. Its ok to be nervous because its a huge purchase and you're not seeing much action. I was once in your shoes and things turn out fine. CW is a reputable builder as well. There's a few bad builders that I would get concern about but this one is NOT.

Hope that helps you sleep better. :)
thanks very much for sharing your experience! Do you mind sharing more on 1) when did you do your PDI? 2) do you need to get the A/C yourself? did you order it before closing? Was the duct work done for central A/C? 3) when can you start registration for hydro, water, etc.? 4) is there any work you suggest to prepare before the closing?

Since you bought a home from Countrywide, I would think a lot of procedures the same builder goes through would be similar for different projects. Thanks!!
Jun 18, 2004
793 posts
164 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Eileen7424 wrote: thanks very much for sharing your experience! Do you mind sharing more on 1) when did you do your PDI? 2) do you need to get the A/C yourself? did you order it before closing? Was the duct work done for central A/C? 3) when can you start registration for hydro, water, etc.? 4) is there any work you suggest to prepare before the closing?

Since you bought a home from Countrywide, I would think a lot of procedures the same builder goes through would be similar for different projects. Thanks!!
1) Typically PDI are done a week prior to the closing date. This leaves them enough time to finish most of the PDI items.
2) If the purchasing promo did not state A/C would be included, then you won't get one. Any licensed A/C installer should figure out how to install one for you based on your preferred location.
3) A/C uses the same duct as your heating/furnace, as the furnace is what pushes you A/C through the duct. So you don't need separate duct work. You're good to install an A/C after closing if you don't get one from builder.
4) I would start getting hydro account, enbridge account, and water (if not billed by town) two weeks prior to closing, that just to ensure you don't get interrupted services and billing will be clear and straightforward.
5) As the lawyer will do the closing, there isn't much left you need to do, other than get home insurance in place, prepare that early, as there could be questions you need to find out.

Tips for the PDI
(1) Bring a "leveler" to check to make sure flat area is suppose to be flat
(2) Bring a bright/light LED flashlight to check for cracks, stains, etc.
(3) Review your upgrade or free bonus sheet, make sure your selections are not mixed up or missing.
(4) Bring a the "pen-looking" electrical tester, so you know all outlets are working.
(5) Check all lights work, windows crank open/close smoothly.
(6) Run hot taps to make sure water is good.
(7) Doors should not open/close on its own when you put them in any position. And when it close, it shouldn't scrap anything, tight is ok, 'could' be ok, as there could be expand and contract (due to humidity level and weather changing). But it should not be banging onto anything.
(8) Cabinet doors should close and open without rubbing anything.
(9) Toilets are not loose.
(10) No crack windows.

Don't be shy when something is not right to you, mention it, don't buy into unclear answers, insist on something to be done (but maintain politeness). If they want it be done on 30 days, ask them to put on the PDI list still.

Hope that helps.
Sep 12, 2017
15 posts
2 upvotes
I finally got the final confirmation of closing and occupancy in a month! Thanks everyone for your help!

I have another question now, I am currently renting, and would like to know how the living condition is like for new built homes, specifically for countrywide built homes? Do I need to keep my renting place for a month or two just in case if anything needs repair at the new home and it's not livable? Does anyone have experience that they can share? Thanks!

I currently have all the furniture that I need; however I am going to start ordering some furniture for the new home and should have them ready right after closing - so furniture won't be a concern.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)