outdoor security camera

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2018 8:43 am
Aug 20, 2007
137 posts
103 upvotes
Thornhill, ON

outdoor security camera

I was thinking of getting an outdoor security camera set-up (and perhaps a few inside cameras as well).
Something like this perhaps:
https://www.primecables.ca/p-358483-cab ... rimecables

problem is, I know nothing about doing this. Can I install it myself? I have fished wires before, but only in 1 room, how would you do this throughout a whole house?
I have an average detached, 4 bedroom, 3000sp/ft home. Should I call a pro? if so, how much money would they charge?

any DYI people out there have experience with this? I have too many questions...any guidance would be great and I'd be very thankful
11 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
tebore wrote: Get PoE cameras and all you need to do is fish 1 cable (CAT5e/6) and just connect them after you terminate them.

Something like this
https://www.amazon.ca/SANNCE-Security-S ... ty+systems
Trying to visualize this.

From router will have 1 ethernet cable to NVR.

Then have 4 cams each with their own ethernet cables [so 4 for 4 cams].

Do each of the 4 ethernet cables need to be connected individually to NVR or is there a way [switch?] where only need to connect 1 ethernet cable from ALL cams to NVR?

Thanks.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
georvu wrote: Trying to visualize this.

From router will have 1 ethernet cable to NVR.

Then have 4 cams each with their own ethernet cables [so 4 for 4 cams].

Do each of the 4 ethernet cables need to be connected individually to NVR or is there a way [switch?] where only need to connect 1 ethernet cable from ALL cams to NVR?

Thanks.
Most of the systems like I linked have their own POE switch built in.

You can do it all standalone (Seperate NVR, POE Switch etc..) but those systems are higher end and cost more
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
tebore wrote: Most of the systems like I linked have their own POE switch built in.

You can do it all standalone (Seperate NVR, POE Switch etc..) but those systems are higher end and cost more
So for like system you linked... would need to fish 4 ethernet cables [1 each from 4 cams] and then connect to NVR [centrally placed]?

Better internet connection compared to wifi and no need for separate power cables.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
georvu wrote: So for like system you linked... would need to fish 4 ethernet cables [1 each from 4 cams] and then connect to NVR [centrally placed]?

Better internet connection compared to wifi and no need for separate power cables.
That's correct especially the underlined.
https://thelazycouple.com/lights-camera ... 2c94aa240b
I did a brief write up of the system I used and the hardware.

@ op
I forgot to say yes if you feel overwhelmed by any of this you should just call a professional.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
+1 to poe.

I have 3 cables terminate to a POE switch in the garage, then 1 cable fished to the basement where it goes to a regular switch. NVR is also in the basement but in a different room. Makes it harder for thieves to find the unit. My cameras also have a SD card in them in the event of a stolen NVR.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1615 posts
945 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: That's correct especially the underlined.
https://thelazycouple.com/lights-camera ... 2c94aa240b
I did a brief write up of the system I used and the hardware.

@ op
I forgot to say yes if you feel overwhelmed by any of this you should just call a professional.
I've spent so much time on this but this is what I'm in the middle of doing:

Synology (Surveillance Station) NAS (acting as the NVR with 8 TB storage) ---> Router --> Unmanaged POE switch ---> IP cameras

I'll manage the system through Surveillance Station Client (desktop) and Synology DS android app. I will get two streams for each camera from SS including a high definition feed (4 / 2MP) and a 640x360 stream for the phone app.

Just waiting for warmer weather so I can drill the small holes for the ethernet lines (for both power and video signal).
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2005
2107 posts
411 upvotes
I looked into outdoor cameras before, and didn't want to deal with anything that was battery related (ie. Arlo and the like). Then looked into PoE systems that others have mentioned. I wanted to DIY, but never fished cables before. Someone then told me they have a system made by Samsung called SmartCam, where the camera hooks up to a box, and that box hooks up to your router. I'm not sure what it is called, but it seemed very interesting and easy to hook up. The system can be found here: https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SNH-E6440 ... B00P1NAPPQ. Sadly, Samsung no longer makes it, and I haven't been able to find something similar. If anyone has come across a system that is like the Samsung one, please post up!

Look how easy it is to hook up. Almost plug and play!
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote: +1 to poe.

I have 3 cables terminate to a POE switch in the garage, then 1 cable fished to the basement where it goes to a regular switch. NVR is also in the basement but in a different room. Makes it harder for thieves to find the unit. My cameras also have a SD card in them in the event of a stolen NVR.
Hmmm... this may be easier for me if it works.

Would this work:

Place POE switch, say in garage.

4 cams with each of their ethernet cables [4] go into garage [one hole to drill then] into 4 ports of POE switch.

One ethernet cable from POE switch to NVR placed elsewhere in house. Possible to use Power AV system or must have physical ethernet cable from POE switch to NVR?

Would above allow to see video from 4 cams on security cam app?

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
georvu wrote: Hmmm... this may be easier for me if it works.

Would this work:

4 cams with each of their ethernet cables [4] go into garage [one hole to drill then] into 4 ports of POE switch.

One ethernet cable from POE switch to NVR placed elsewhere in house. Possible to use Power AV system or must have physical ethernet cable from POE switch to NVR?

You're missing the point. Think of each camera as a computer with its own IP address. You just need a PoE switch for power. The PoE switch has to connect to a router at some point. The NVR can be anywhere on the network. It can be on the PoE switch or connected to the router.

Think of the NVR as a server. The cameras connect to the server to save their files. Doesn't matter if you use PowerLine, ethernet etc. As long as the NVR and the cameras are on the same subnet.

You need to open ports on your router to access the NVR from your cell phone. Alternatively, since you're using IP cameras, you can also open ports for each camera and access the camera directly without connecting to the NVR.

If anyone needs any PoE switches, I have a few extra ones I like to sell.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
georvu wrote: Hmmm... this may be easier for me if it works.

Would this work:

Thanks.
The powerline should work. Each camera pumps out about 6-10Mbps each, so if you have 4 cameras, that will be 40Mbps max. As long as the powerline to keep a constant speed of 45Mbps or more, it should work. But yeah, to @Gee point, each camera is just another node on the network independent of each other. You even run them without a NVR. You just need something to save the recordings. Computer using blueiris or a NAS server with SMB(assuming camera supports), or a NAS Server with the proper licence are other options.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)