Shopping Discussion

Outdoor Security Camera System Recommendations?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2019 11:54 pm
[OP]
Jun 24, 2014
53 posts
168 upvotes
Edmonton

Outdoor Security Camera System Recommendations?

Anyone have some good recommendations for wireless outdoor security cameras? We live in Edmonton, so would be cool in winter. We are looking for something that doesn't' require a subscription, and something that does record with movement, and is able to store for short term or at least to be able to transfer storage to computer or phone to keep for later date.
Not looking to spend a fortune, but want something reliable.
3 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10836 posts
4339 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I've been looking around for a bit and I'm thinking of installing a bunch of Wyze cams. Yes, they aren't waterproof and are really indoor cameras but according to what I've read online, a lot of people are using them outdoors in covered locations. Some are using them with the various shells/covers available to help make them somewhat water-resistant.

The nice thing is that they are cheap, no subscription required, stores movement clips online for about 2 weeks, can record to a microSD card (slot in the unit) all of the time or only when motion is detected, and you can view it through the app.

The cameras are $40 each on Amazon and then another $15 for the cover so $55 per camera. From the looks of the various covers, if you are handy, you can probably make them even more water-resistant than what they are now.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2662 posts
580 upvotes
Ottawa
One issue I have with the WyzeCams (both V2 and the PTZ, and running Xiaomi / DAFANG firmware) - is that whenever there's motion, it tends to get a green screen for a while.

This is with a bitrate of 1000, and 23 FPS.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10836 posts
4339 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Akitakara wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 8:22 pm
One issue I have with the WyzeCams (both V2 and the PTZ, and running Xiaomi / DAFANG firmware) - is that whenever there's motion, it tends to get a green screen for a while.

This is with a bitrate of 1000, and 23 FPS.
I never had a problem with V1 with the current firmware. Now, the earlier firmware has some issues with the camera freezing up on occasion but I haven't seen a freeze up for over a year now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)