Outdoor survival canada

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2019 9:32 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11508 posts
1512 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Key is to know an OSC employee. They each get 5 coupons. Each coupon gives a 50% discount on each coat. So if you find a coat you like at Pacific Down City you get 50% off a coat already knocked off by 20% -- and NO tax!

Massak Parka as example:

$960 less 20% = $768
-minus 50% off
= $384, no tax.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Nov 28, 2015
5 posts
1 upvote
North York, ON
Cabela has these jackets on pretty decent discount.......

Online or if you want to go to Barrie.

I would consider if they had XS, but they have pretty much all the other sizes available.
Dec 22, 2014
6 posts
1 upvote
Grande Prairie, AB
Just looking for a jacket for the wife. Was looking at CG since I use one (Heli-arctic) and it suits well here for northern BC. Looking for something of similar warmth and this name comes up a lot as being as good for cheaper.

Then I look at prices and it seems very similar or same as CG. A 3/4 length down coat with coyote trim in CG are all around $750. These are like $650-700.

How do they compare? Do they compete on price at all? Does anyone else given those specs?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11508 posts
1512 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
anethema wrote:
Dec 19th, 2015 1:42 am
Just looking for a jacket for the wife. Was looking at CG since I use one (Heli-arctic) and it suits well here for northern BC. Looking for something of similar warmth and this name comes up a lot as being as good for cheaper.

Then I look at prices and it seems very similar or same as CG. A 3/4 length down coat with coyote trim in CG are all around $750. These are like $650-700.

How do they compare? Do they compete on price at all? Does anyone else given those specs?
CG ruined it for everyone. It's becuz they keep raising prices every freakin yr by $40-50 bux that all the other competitors keep raising theirs... basically saying our quality is just as good or better than CG so why shouldnt we have the same pricing (and profit).

OSC is all rated -40C, so similar to TEI 5 rating in CG (-30C or below). Many peeps say their quality and workmanship is better. I would say their coyote fur ruffs are better looking in general; more full and wider than CG (comparable to their top models in mantra, expedition, and resolute). it's too bad you live out west. TO has 2 legit OSC outlets that sell at 20% disc., no tax. No online ordering so you have to go in-person.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2002
1647 posts
147 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Dec 5th, 2015 7:29 pm
Key is to know an OSC employee. They each get 5 coupons. Each coupon gives a 50% discount on each coat. So if you find a coat you like at Pacific Down City you get 50% off a coat already knocked off by 20% -- and NO tax!

Massak Parka as example:

$960 less 20% = $768
-minus 50% off
= $384, no tax.
I guarantee you they're still making a healthy profit even after that discount. Premium winter coat brands are making even more now that everything is made in China.

I gotta say though, the OSC Cross line is pretty nice. More than a couple models I'd take a look at.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11508 posts
1512 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
zabuza wrote:
Dec 19th, 2015 11:49 am
I guarantee you they're still making a healthy profit even after that discount. Premium winter coat brands are making even more now that everything is made in China.

I gotta say though, the OSC Cross line is pretty nice. More than a couple models I'd take a look at.
OSC is made in Canada. Cant speak for their lower models like Cdn Spirit or Cross lines. Guess I have to look at the tags next time. ;)
Aug 28, 2006
858 posts
109 upvotes
Scarborough
aznnorth wrote:
Dec 19th, 2015 1:31 pm
OSC is made in Canada. Cant speak for their lower models like Cdn Spirit or Cross lines. Guess I have to look at the tags next time. ;)
Not sure about Cdn Spirit but can confirm the cross line is made in Toronto. I got the St.John's Parka in small in navy and it's really nice. Fur seems to be very full like the OSC and has a much slimmer fit compared to the OSC line. Just in time with today's snow 'storm'.
Jun 28, 2015
6 posts
Toronto, ON
I'm looking to buy OSC...does anyone know if Blue Marine & Co still sells these that I can try on? PMall is a bit too far for me...the plan is to try on some, then go to PMall to buy for cheaper =P
Aug 28, 2006
858 posts
109 upvotes
Scarborough
furball1989 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 3:44 pm
I'm looking to buy OSC...does anyone know if Blue Marine & Co still sells these that I can try on? PMall is a bit too far for me...the plan is to try on some, then go to PMall to buy for cheaper =P
Why not just go to try and buy once at Pmall haha
Jun 28, 2015
6 posts
Toronto, ON
impruv wrote:
Jan 8th, 2016 10:33 am
Why not just go to try and buy once at Pmall haha
Well actually, I'm gonna call pmall and see if they have what I want in stock before I go! =P I heard because they're cheaper, there's limited stock since it's past seasons merchandise.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11508 posts
1512 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
furball1989 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2016 10:41 am
Well actually, I'm gonna call pmall and see if they have what I want in stock before I go! =P I heard because they're cheaper, there's limited stock since it's past seasons merchandise.
The owners dont speak english that well... better off going in person. Husband/wife runs the business. Wife is nice.. the husband is an azz shat.
Dec 4, 2016
2 posts
aznnorth wrote:
Jan 9th, 2016 9:51 pm
The owners dont speak english that well... better off going in person. Husband/wife runs the business. Wife is nice.. the husband is an azz shat.
I'm not sure who you were dealing with at Pacific Down City, but the husband/wife duo that were assisting me were both helpful and patient. I was there for almost and hour trying on different parkas, and the husband even went to the back to get parkas that weren't on display. I had no problems understanding their English. In the end I ended up buying an OSC parka and a CDN Spirit jacket. As well, the wife processed the sale and she was very detailed in explaining the total costs and the discounts applied. I didn't feel rushed or scammed in any way.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11508 posts
1512 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
SeptimusM674882 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 11:29 am
I'm not sure who you were dealing with at Pacific Down City, but the husband/wife duo that were assisting me were both helpful and patient. I was there for almost and hour trying on different parkas, and the husband even went to the back to get parkas that weren't on display. I had no problems understanding their English. In the end I ended up buying an OSC parka and a CDN Spirit jacket. As well, the wife processed the sale and she was very detailed in explaining the total costs and the discounts applied. I didn't feel rushed or scammed in any way.
[..] Not everyone's experience is the same like any company. I dealt with him strictly in chinese.. and generally when you deal with someone in their own language they tend to let their guard down and their real personalities come out whether good or bad. And my opinion is based on several visits over a period of time not just a one off...
Last edited by MrDisco on Dec 7th, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rude
Oct 26, 2008
66 posts
24 upvotes
Saint-Laurent
** correction, it was priced at ~250$ after an additional 30% discount on the sale price **

I found a women's OSC parka at The Bay in Montreal Premium outlets for ~250$ a couple of weeks back.

I didn't pick it up since my wife didn't really like the style. I forget what model it was.

Anyone in the region can always try to look there. They might have some from time for time.
Dec 4, 2016
2 posts
haristo wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 9:34 pm
** correction, it was priced at ~250$ after an additional 30% discount on the sale price **

I found a women's OSC parka at The Bay in Montreal Premium outlets for ~250$ a couple of weeks back.

I didn't pick it up since my wife didn't really like the style. I forget what model it was.

Anyone in the region can always try to look there. They might have some from time for time.
That's a great deal, regardless of what OSC model it is.