Fashion & Beauty

Outerwear Jacket Reviews (CG, CMFR, MK, Nobis, etc)

Feb 11, 2012
30 posts
BRAMPTON
Does anyone have an opinion on the Nobis She Ra? Although most of the people here are guys, so I would expect there to be one :p
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2003
1003 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
samberkun wrote: Here is my review of the north face mcmurdo

Jacket size is way off... I am 5.10 and a small was HUGE on me... way to much room in these things

The flipping hood does not stay on and there is no way to tighten it!!! with just a little wind it comes off.... for a 400 dollar jacket that is unacceptable

The fake fur is buttoned on and tends to not work either

There are no wrist cuffs that keep the cold in and to go ontop of that the velcro on the wrist is to loose and can not be done up tightly

all in all was very disappointed in the jacket and do not recommend it, way to heavy and the hood makes it useless... The North Face "stone sentinel" is a much better fit and has way better features

Just wanted to add on a review of the North Face McMurdo.
(FYI, I have worn NORTH FACE SENTINEL, CANADA GOOSE CHATEAU, NOBIS YATESY, OSC/CANADIAN SPIRIT, LAND's END - all in -15°C weather in TORONTO)

Sizing:
For reference 5'8" medium/atheletic build and 170lbs.
I am a medium in most brands, (or small), however, I had to also size down on this one. I had to size down to a SMALL.
The McMurdo has 4 convenient draw strings to tighten each side (right or left) of the jacket. 1 Pair at the mid-section, 1 Pair at the bottom to cut air from going in.
I would also like to mention that it has a nice puffiness to the jacket, more so, than Chateau, Yatesy, and the Sentinel - so it does 'hug' your body lightly and did I mention keep you warm?
Arms are a perfect length (for me).
No issues with cuff, since they are adjustable.

Weight:
Let me first say, it's a big bulky looking jacket. The pockets of down are very fluffy/puffy.
Walking/running and doing activities in the jacket ZIPPED up, did not feel heavy at all.
When the ZIPPER is OPEN, and I walk around, it feels quite heavy for a jacket and after about 30-45mins I would start to feel uncomfortable.
Definitely heavier than any of the jackets I own.

Warmth: (I stood in line for 1.5 hrs in -15°C temps and winds in Toronto)
This is a very comparable jacket in warmth.
I did not have any issues staying warm in this jacket,
BUT, there were issues with warmth:
1. if it gets windy the hood comes off - there is no adjustment on the back to shorten the hood, no adjustable fur
2. wish there were ribbed cuffs instead of velcro adjusted tighener
3. hands did not feel totally warm in the high pockets
4. lower pockets do not feel warm.
5. Wind still somehow crept up - might be due to sizing.
I would say if it was not windy, it would have been very nice and toasty.

Quality:
2 way YKK zippers are sturdy and work well, except when i wanted to pull the bottom zipper up. got caught most of the time, so I had to becareful.
Material is strong, durable, wind and water proof.
Stitching is good quality.
I don't see any issues wearing this jacket for at least 5 years.

Functionality:
7 pockets (4 bottom, 2 chest/stomach area, 1 arm) - all quite usable no problems, very secure.
1 inner zipper pocket - quite usable.
1 inner glove pocket - useful for my gloves
1 inner bottle pocket - held a bottle of water, but does not help when the jacket feels heavy at times...

Style:
looks like a very warm jacket
looks bulky

North Face Sentinel Jacket:
Styling/cut seems nicer
Sentinel has Goretex outer shell that seems darker in color and better in quality
has angled zippered pockets for convenience
has an ADJUSTABLE hood
does not have inner glove pocket
does not have inner water bottle pocket
NO adjustable draw strings to tighten jacket

I would prefer Sentinel in style and McMurdo slightly slightly more in warmth and functionality.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2975 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
Your review of the warmth of the down parka was when it was -15 degrees right? Correct me if I'm wrong but up there said 15 degrees.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
Irbe wrote: Your review of the warmth of the down parka was when it was -15 degrees right? Correct me if I'm wrong but up there said 15 degrees.
Sub 15, which I assume to mean -15°C. Confusing since I don't know anybody who refers to negative temperatures as "sub" as quoted below.
Elusive wrote: all in sub 15'C weather in TORONTO)
Elusive wrote: Warmth: (I stood in line for 1.5 hrs in sub 15'C temps and winds in Toronto)
This past Tuesday was 16°C ABOVE zero and I saw a girl wearing a Canada Goose. :facepalm: I was sweating in my thin raincoat.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2975 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
Bc if its 15 degrees I was fairly warm in my NC Camerman, which I guess means its just as warm as a down jacket, without the down. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
The month of March is a curious one weather-wise. The same super warm day I saw that one girl wearing a parka, I saw several others wearing shorts and t-shirts. It's that magical temperature sweet spot that seems to offer the widest range in wardrobe choices. At 15°C, some people can just about tolerate wearing a winter coat so that's the upper range for those people, while others are not too uncomfortable in short sleeves. I'd like to think that we're a rational group that exercises common sense and would dress somewhere in between rather than at the extremes. :lol:
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2011
1762 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: The month of March is a curious one weather-wise. The same super warm day I saw that one girl wearing a parka, I saw several others wearing shorts and t-shirts. It's that magical temperature sweet spot that seems to offer the widest range in wardrobe choices. At 15°C, some people can just about tolerate wearing a winter coat so that's the upper range for those people, while others are not too uncomfortable in short sleeves. I'd like to think that we're a rational group that exercises common sense and would dress somewhere in between rather than at the extremes. :lol:
Pretty funny, I've been dressed in shorts since Sunday.
Fashion hurts p░ ░ ░yboi - KimchiTacos_
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
How come people make fun of parka-wearers when it's above 0°C but not make fun of shorts-wearers when it's below 25°C? :lol:
Dec 11, 2011
650 posts
64 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: How come people make fun of parka-wearers when it's above 0°C but not make fun of shorts-wearers when it's below 25°C? :lol:

Cuz the guys that wear shorts at -25 have balls.
i jus saw a guy wearing a CG expedition...i wanna punch him so bad.
Mar 26, 2007
688 posts
46 upvotes
feidailo wrote: Cuz the guys that wear shorts at -25 have balls.
i jus saw a guy wearing a CG expedition...i wanna punch him so bad.

Not for long.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1290 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
Firebolt wrote: Pretty funny, I've been dressed in shorts since Sunday.

Maybe it's time for a spring jacket review thread. :)
Jan 15, 2012
215 posts
19 upvotes
Calgary
Arc'teryx Khuno Parka Review

SpecificationsSize: Small
Color: Black
Price: $450 (tons of stores have it on sale right now)
Store: various
http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN ... huno-Parka

Background
My frame is a standard asian frame with a slight wider shoulder and torso.
I am 5'8", 150lbs to date, I can fit a Medium easily on any brands, though Medium runs slightly longer on the arms.

What I am looking for

Fit - Should fit close to the body. I should be able to layer with a sweater or hoody without being too restrictive. Be able to drive and do proper shoulder checks.

Longevity - I want a coat to look and last at least 7 years

Functionality - Should be able to use this coat anywhere, and everywhere. Also looking into a coat that I can pack up and travel by air

My Mark

Fit 9/10 - This parka is the lightest parka to date (1lbs and 16 oz!) and the Windstopper material DOES stop and deflect the wind.
Length is good as sits mid-thigh.

A little loose on the torso area and a drawstring would really help the design.

I can easily operate a vehicle with the bottom zipper about 6 inches open though the fleece lined part at the top of the jacket could be bothersome. With the parka zipped up all the way, it covers most of my mouth area which is a plus.

140 Coreloft on torso and 80 Coreloft on the arms for increased mobility and very comfortable in the armpit area as they lined it with Coreline fabric.

Longevity 10/10 - The look is very simple and I can wear this to work everyday during spring and fall. I also recently bought the Atom LT Hoody (http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN ... m-LT-Hoody) which I can use to layer in the event the temperature dips below -10.

Functionality 10/10 - Proven and tested warm at -5 (undershirt, and dress shirt). This morning, I tested it with the Atom LT Hoody as a layer and -6, I was not sweating at all but once indoors, I felt hot. Without the Atom LT Hoody, I do not see any issue if you wear this without any layering -5 and above.

I walk about 45 minutes to and from work outside and over a river. The breathability of this parka, or any of the Arc'teryx line is amazing. I wore this inside the house for 15 minutes and did not break a sweat.

[IMG]http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/2209/img0894l.th.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/501/img0890b.th.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3972 ... 1aj.th.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2162 ... aar.th.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3590/img0893v.th.jpg[/IMG]

Conclusion

Great alternative to my Citadel parka, very light, looks, and feels durable. The style and fit is great and if you are looking into a synthetic insulated parka. The Arc'teryx logo sits at the bottom of the parka and can be easily covered by a black marker. Great for minimalist and for travel purposes.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2003
1003 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: Sub 15, which I assume to mean -15°C. Confusing since I don't know anybody who refers to negative temperatures as "sub" as quoted below.

This past Tuesday was 16°C ABOVE zero and I saw a girl wearing a Canada Goose. :facepalm: I was sweating in my thin raincoat.

lol, I did not realise that!
correct
negative 15 or -15°C or minus 15°C
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2003
1003 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: Sub 15, which I assume to mean -15°C. Confusing since I don't know anybody who refers to negative temperatures as "sub" as quoted below.

you do know someone that uses sub in temperature's though :D
just noticed kingofwale using 'sub -20 temp'
but of course less confusing than sub 15 lol...
Mar 28, 2007
335 posts
4 upvotes
Scarborough
originalgoods13 wrote: Arc'teryx Khuno Parka Review

SpecificationsSize: Small
Color: Black
Price: $450 (tons of stores have it on sale right now)
Store: various
http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN ... huno-Parka

Background
My frame is a standard asian frame with a slight wider shoulder and torso.
I am 5'8", 150lbs to date, I can fit a Medium easily on any brands, though Medium runs slightly longer on the arms.

What I am looking for

Fit - Should fit close to the body. I should be able to layer with a sweater or hoody without being too restrictive. Be able to drive and do proper shoulder checks.

Longevity - I want a coat to look and last at least 7 years

Functionality - Should be able to use this coat anywhere, and everywhere. Also looking into a coat that I can pack up and travel by air

My Mark

Fit 9/10 - This parka is the lightest parka to date (1lbs and 16 oz!) and the Windstopper material DOES stop and deflect the wind.
Length is good as sits mid-thigh.

A little loose on the torso area and a drawstring would really help the design.

I can easily operate a vehicle with the bottom zipper about 6 inches open though the fleece lined part at the top of the jacket could be bothersome. With the parka zipped up all the way, it covers most of my mouth area which is a plus.

140 Coreloft on torso and 80 Coreloft on the arms for increased mobility and very comfortable in the armpit area as they lined it with Coreline fabric.

Longevity 10/10 - The look is very simple and I can wear this to work everyday during spring and fall. I also recently bought the Atom LT Hoody (http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN ... m-LT-Hoody) which I can use to layer in the event the temperature dips below -10.

Functionality 10/10 - Proven and tested warm at -5 (undershirt, and dress shirt). This morning, I tested it with the Atom LT Hoody as a layer and -6, I was not sweating at all but once indoors, I felt hot. Without the Atom LT Hoody, I do not see any issue if you wear this without any layering -5 and above.

I walk about 45 minutes to and from work outside and over a river. The breathability of this parka, or any of the Arc'teryx line is amazing. I wore this inside the house for 15 minutes and did not break a sweat.

Conclusion

Great alternative to my Citadel parka, very light, looks, and feels durable. The style and fit is great and if you are looking into a synthetic insulated parka. The Arc'teryx logo sits at the bottom of the parka and can be easily covered by a black marker. Great for minimalist and for travel purposes.

ahhh im so jealous, I couldn't find any stores with my size for this jacket ='(. oh well.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
Elusive wrote: you do know someone that uses sub in temperature's though :D
just noticed kingofwale using 'sub -20 temp'
but of course less confusing than sub 15 lol...

lol, sub 15 would land you here.
http://canadadouche.tumblr.com/

although given my experience with the website, it's a lot flattering if you are a girl. :)
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
3219 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
pockyupnose wrote: ahhh im so jealous, I couldn't find any stores with my size for this jacket ='(. oh well.

Have you tried sporting life because they're having a sale right now.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
139 upvotes
sedated_xtc wrote: Maybe it's time for a spring jacket review thread. :)

Lol, that thread would never survive.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)