Fashion & Apparel

Outerwear Jacket Reviews (CG, CMFR, MK, Nobis, etc)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2016 6:38 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2009
1639 posts
299 upvotes
Markham
I updated my OSC Desna Bomber review
check it out
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1879 posts
137 upvotes
mapleleaf27 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2012 3:56 pm
BananaWeed, if people want to contribute a review, do they just post it on this thread and you'll add it to your original post as a link?

Yeah, it'd be great if people posted or reposted all reviews in this thread so we have them all in one thread. I can also link to reviews in other threads, but it'd be easier if all reviews were consolidated into a single thread.
girlstar wrote:Would you like a photo comparison of the CG Kensington fur vs OSC Siku fur? Can maybe take photos of fit of OSC but looks like people are more interested in fit of men's OSC. My Fiance has the Atka and CG Chilliwack though not sure if he'd want to model (the Atka).
Any and all pics and reviews are welcome. I'd love to see how OSC compares to other brands.
ThaChingster wrote:updated my OSC Desna Bomber review
check it out
Thanked.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1542 posts
124 upvotes
Newmarket
maybe i'll do a review on nobis meredith
.........maybe
Mar 28, 2007
335 posts
4 upvotes
Scarborough
Hmm i noticed you tagged my post as a review for the arcteryx SL fission, so I decided to do an update review of it since I had it for longer period of time. Still love it though =). hope it helps other ppl.

I can post some pics if you guys like of the fit....
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
2196 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
I guess ill contribute and post a brief review on the Canada Goose Yukon Bomber. When I first bought one last season, I couldn't find any reviews on the jacket so hopefully mine will be the first!

So the Canada Goose Yukon Bomber I got was last years 2010/11 model. Pretty sure the 2011/12 models are identical and only difference is the new hologram sticker. I'm 6'3 and 175lbs and I have a weird build. Slim around the torso with extra long arms. Usually wear a large or medium. When I first tried on this jacket, I tried a large and it felt a bit too big on me so I went with the medium in black. Even with the medium I am still able to move my torso around if I just wear a t-shirt but with a hoodie or thick sweater, it fits perfectly. Now the cg website says the yukon is a slim fitted jacket and in my opinion, the chilliwack at the same size felt more slim than the yukon.

Pros:
-extremely light and mobile. Can move limbs without any sort of restrictions.
-very comfortable jacket
-stealthier look compared to the chilliwack. I love the black disc and how its placed on the left arm as opposed to the right arm on most jackets.
-removeable fur hood
-fleece lining in pockets
-ive noticed that the fur on yukon bombers are consistently larger and wider than other cg models.
-very breathable and decently warm
-material is very easy to clean and is pretty much stain resistant.

Cons:
-its a very loud jacket due to its ribstop nylon fabric.
-the hoodie is very flimsy and can easily be blown into another position from the wind. Isn't as stiff and easily "molded" as the chilliwack's hoodie.
-waist line easily rides up and stays in place if you bend over.
-like the manitoba jacket, the neck/chin guard flap can easily get caught in the zipper.
-Fur itself isn't removable
-priced way to close to a citadel/expedition/chateau which imo are a lot warmer

In conclusion, the yukon bomber is a fairly decent jacket and is a good alternative to a chilliwack. Had a bunch of compliments and questions of which model my jacket was. Its warm and mobile enough to freely perform outdoor winter activities such as skating or snow boarding. The cons I listed really aren't that big of a deal aside from the price. Currently costs $625 which is about $75 less than a citadel/expedition. Compared to the chilliwack I would say its not as warm but its more comfortable, and way more mobile than the chilliwack.
Oct 29, 2008
172 posts
4 upvotes
@BananaWeed

First of all, love the jacket as it was my first choice but unfortunately they didn't have my size or color so i went with the yukon bomber. Now imo i think the jacket looks better on you when the side zippers are fully zipped because it gives off a more fitted look than when its unzipped.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1879 posts
137 upvotes
mapleleaf27 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2012 2:02 pm
Personally I don't think that looks big. I think you might just be used to wearing slimmer fitting coats. Keep in mind a puffier jacket is going to look puffy even when you wear the correct size. You'd need to size down to get a puffy jacket to look slimmer on you, but then you are wearing a coat that doesn't fit you properly. But seeing that you don't layer too much maybe you can pull it off.

If you can track down a Small Manitoba in your area (retail store) you should just try it on. If you can't, I don't know what to tell you. Unless somebody is wearing a coat that is clearly too big or too small, it's really impossible to tell the proper fit of a coat someone else is wearing. Especially through pictures.

If you aren't 100% happy with your Manitoba I would sell it and get the Gormley. That's a slim fit parka with full coyote fur.
709394 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2012 2:12 pm
@BananaWeed

First of all, love the jacket as it was my first choice but unfortunately they didn't have my size or color so i went with the yukon bomber. Now imo i think the jacket looks better on you when the side zippers are fully zipped because it gives off a more fitted look than when its unzipped.

Thanks for the feedback. I've worn my Constable a couple of times and I guess the puffier fit is growing on me. If I can't sell my Manitoba by the time cold weather hits, I don't mind making use of it. I'll wait and see if there's a significant discount on the CMFR Gormley by the end of the season. If the price is right, I'll pick one up. I wish it were colder and snowy in Toronto - I wanna use my jackets! :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4906 posts
750 upvotes
congeetime wrote:
Jan 11th, 2012 5:28 am
Also doesn't have a adjustment wire to mold it in place like the chilliwack hoodie.
Thank you for the Yukon review! I gave thanks. :)

I had a comment about this point though. The Chilliwack hood does not have an internal bracing wire to shape the hood.
BananaWeed wrote:
Jan 11th, 2012 1:47 pm
I retook pics of my Manitoba jacket with the sides fully zipped down. How's the fit now? Does it still look a bit big?

The overall aesthetics have improved since the zipped-down side zippers seem to have eliminated the skirt/flare issue at the bottom of the jacket from the previous fit pics. It looks substantially better now, and I think you have the right size.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1879 posts
137 upvotes
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote:
Jan 11th, 2012 7:54 pm
The overall aesthetics have improved since the zipped-down side zippers seem to have eliminated the skirt/flare issue at the bottom of the jacket from the previous fit pics. It looks substantially better now, and I think you have the right size.

Thanks.

I passed through The Bay today and tried on a Company of Adventurers Explorers Snorkel Parka and here are some impressions:
  • It is a HEAVY jacket. I was shocked when I took it off the rack and put it on. Must've weighed like 4-5 lbs at least.
  • Fits big. The smallest available was medium and it was at least one size too large on me.
  • The raccoon fur trim was dark and thin. Not very impressive.
  • The outer material was cotton I think, and seemed durable.
  • There are drawstrings at the waist and bottom hem. Didn't play around with those.
I only tried the jacket on briefly because I looked ridiculous in such an oversized jacket. Didn't really examine the interior. Overall, there are much better options for the price ($487 on sale from $695).
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4906 posts
750 upvotes
BananaWeed wrote:
Jan 11th, 2012 8:22 pm
I passed through The Bay today and tried on a Company of Adventurers Explorers Snorkel Parka

I made a very quick mention of them in my review of the Tundra jackets: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/alternat ... st14075728

However it's not enough of a mention to warrant being called a review or close to anything resembling a review, so please don't worry about linking it. :)

I do wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of it though. The smallest size that The Bay had was small and I still found it a little loose. I wonder how these things are selling. They don't seem to be sold anywhere EXCEPT The Bay. I vaguely remember them being made in China... correct me if I am wrong. :)

I noticed your link to my Moose Knuckles Stirling links right back here to this thread instead of the review itself: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-m ... st14074998

This thread is insane and it's unfortunate I can't click "Thanks" more than once on the evolving original post.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1879 posts
137 upvotes
Jan 11th, 2012 8:41 pm
I made a very quick mention of them in my review of the Tundra jackets: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/alternat ... st14075728

However it's not enough of a mention to warrant being called a review or close to anything resembling a review, so please don't worry about linking it. :)

I do wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of it though. The smallest size that The Bay had was small and I still found it a little loose. I wonder how these things are selling. They don't seem to be sold anywhere EXCEPT The Bay. I vaguely remember them being made in China... correct me if I am wrong. :)

I noticed your link to my Moose Knuckles Stirling links right back here to this thread instead of the review itself: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-m ... st14074998

This thread is insane and it's unfortunate I can't click "Thanks" more than once on the evolving original post.

lol thanks.

I think I'll just include the more popular brands in the opening post or won't include brands until at least until there is more than one review for a jacket.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1961 posts
135 upvotes
Fur Comparison

As requested, here are photos of my OSC Siku, CG Kensington and fiance's OSC Atka fur.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/i ... G_5030.jpg
OSC Siku

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/i ... G_5031.jpg
CG Kensington

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/i ... G_5032.jpg
OSC Atka

----

I didn't have enough time to do fit photos of my OSC. Hopefully on the weekend. And I'll write more about it.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
2196 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
Jan 11th, 2012 7:54 pm
Thank you for the Yukon review! I gave thanks. :)

I had a comment about this point though. The Chilliwack hood does not have an internal bracing wire to shape the hood.
Really?!?!?!? the last time I tried on a chilliwack, the hoodie felt very stiff and was easily "moldable". I guess its just the stiffer cotton blend material. Thanks for pointing it out. edited my post!
× < >