Fashion & Beauty

Outerwear Jacket Reviews (CG, CMFR, MK, Nobis, etc)

Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
3014 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto
Embolus wrote: Hey Sen,

I actually bought it off Kijiji, I am surprised nobody here picked up on it/found it considering the person originally listed it I think beginning of January.

Original price is 750 + tax at Uncle Otis. I got it for $675. Person bought it end of September 2011, only worn it a few times, came with all tags, and original receipt, Carrying bag and Jacket. Jacket was practically in brand new condition based on my inspection.

The jacket is XS size, and compared to my XS Yuki, its definitely not as fitted, but not loose either, If I wanted to layer up a bit it would be fine, but a thick sweat shirt I dunno, they it may be too constricting for my preference. But the Uncle Otis collaboration is modern fit, compared to the regular constable which is regular fit, so the profile is slimmer overall. I'd say the XS fit similar to your small Yuki. So for me it's pretty perfect, since I wanted something slightly longer and a bit looser than my Tweed.

The details UO took when designing this jacket is superb, just top notch! Even compared to a Chateau or a regular Constable: From the pocket design, hood, gun metal zippers, removable fur on hood and wire attached underneath for shaping, too many to list etc....totally worth the price difference

Even though its the same 625 fill, I definitely would argue and agree with the other members here recently and say compared to my Tweed chilliwack, I'd trust the Chilly in colder weather by a few notches, but not by much.

I don't recall how a Chateau fit for me in comparison, but I will try one on next time I goto Le Baron/Sail.

I called UO today and they said next season they may come out with another collaboration with CG with the constable, so maybe you should wait until next season.

I have a feeling this jacket will get more mileage than my Tweed, just because of the versatility of it.

Always a tough decision which to choose from...Harris Tweed or UO Constable, haha :lol:

Wow, got it at a great price. Always wanted that jacket but they sold out of my size before I could grab one :( Anywho, is the fur itself removable or do you have to take off the whole hoodie??
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1740 posts
6 upvotes
kingofwale wrote: you mean MY Yuki jacket. ;)

Glad to see that you are now with longer parka. I went with Yatesy and now I am also wearing a Chateau.

I would like to know the difference between yours vs Chateau or yours vs Expedition.

Congrat again on the purchase.

I have to admit on thing tho. All Yuki have great furs.
Yeah, bomber's and longer parka's both have their pro's/cons and each one will get mileage just based on my mood/outfits/usage for that day.

Maybe we should just have a meet-up one day, no regular chilliwack's allowed, so that eliminates practically 95% of the users and CG wearer's in general, haha. :lol:

Oh without a doubt I agree that the special collaborations/Yuki CG's typically have great fur compared to the regular line-up. I was just referencing specifically the fullness/thickness of the fur pelts this year compared to previous years, at least my own observation.
congeetime wrote: Wow, got it at a great price. Always wanted that jacket but they sold out of my size before I could grab one :( Anywho, is the fur itself removable or do you have to take off the whole hoodie??
Seller wanted 750, negotiated $75 off, I can't argue given the mint condition of the jacket and all original tags/receipt, as well as the rarity of it, I'm not complaining considering the regular price of this, as well as the retail price of a regular Constable/Chateau

Hood is removable, and the fur is removable from the hood itself.

Again UO definitely thought of all the features to include in this collaboration, very well made and designed.
Jan 21, 2011
180 posts
8 upvotes
Embolus wrote: Hey Sen,

I actually bought it off Kijiji, I am surprised nobody here picked up on it/found it considering the person originally listed it I think beginning of January.

Original price is 750 + tax at Uncle Otis. I got it for $675. Person bought it end of September 2011, only worn it a few times, came with all tags, and original receipt, Carrying bag and Jacket. Jacket was practically in brand new condition based on my inspection.

The jacket is XS size, and compared to my XS Yuki, its definitely not as fitted, but not loose either, If I wanted to layer up a bit it would be fine, but a thick sweat shirt I dunno, they it may be too constricting for my preference. But the Uncle Otis collaboration is modern fit, compared to the regular constable which is regular fit, so the profile is slimmer overall. I'd say the XS fit similar to your small Yuki. So for me it's pretty perfect, since I wanted something slightly longer and a bit looser than my Tweed.

The details UO took when designing this jacket is superb, just top notch! Even compared to a Chateau or a regular Constable: From the pocket design, hood, gun metal zippers, removable fur on hood and wire attached underneath for shaping, too many to list etc....totally worth the price difference

Even though its the same 625 fill, I definitely would argue and agree with the other members here recently and say compared to my Tweed chilliwack, I'd trust the Chilly in colder weather by a few notches, but not by much.

I don't recall how a Chateau fit for me in comparison, but I will try one on next time I goto Le Baron/Sail.

I called UO today and they said next season they may come out with another collaboration with CG with the constable, so maybe you should wait until next season.

I have a feeling this jacket will get more mileage than my Tweed, just because of the versatility of it.

Always a tough decision which to choose from...Harris Tweed or UO Constable, haha :lol:
Sounds just about perfect man, I would've grabbed it for that price if I could! And I agree, it's better looking and better built than all of the other longer CG jackets. The understated black logo is also a plus, getting tired of seeing the loud coloured logo around. All around a sick jacket and you got a great deal on it

And for sure, the UO is much more versatile, I was planning to get it for work downtown since the Yuki isn't formal enough haha.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
Embolus wrote: Yeah, bomber's and longer parka's both have their pro's/cons and each one will get mileage just based on my mood/outfits/usage for that day.

Maybe we should just have a meet-up one day, no regular chilliwack's allowed, so that eliminates practically 95% of the users and CG wearer's in general, haha. :lol:

Oh without a doubt I agree that the special collaborations/Yuki CG's typically have great fur compared to the regular line-up. I was just referencing specifically the fullness/thickness of the fur pelts this year compared to previous years, at least my own observation.

Seller wanted 750, negotiated $75 off, I can't argue given the mint condition of the jacket and all original tags/receipt, as well as the rarity of it, I'm not complaining considering the regular price of this, as well as the retail price of a regular Constable/Chateau

Hood is removable, and the fur is removable from the hood itself.

Again UO definitely thought of all the features to include in this collaboration, very well made and designed.

lol, looking forward to your review. ;)
Jun 6, 2007
546 posts
29 upvotes
Here is my review of the north face mcmurdo

Jacket size is way off... I am 5.10 and a small was HUGE on me... way to much room in these things

The flipping hood does not stay on and there is no way to tighten it!!! with just a little wind it comes off.... for a 400 dollar jacket that is unacceptable

The fake fur is buttoned on and tends to not work either

There are no wrist cuffs that keep the cold in and to go ontop of that the velcro on the wrist is to loose and can not be done up tightly

all in all was very disappointed in the jacket and do not recommend it, way to heavy and the hood makes it useless... The North Face "stone sentinel" is a much better fit and has way better features
Jan 12, 2012
354 posts
6 upvotes
samberkun wrote: Here is my review of the north face mcmurdo

Jacket size is way off... I am 5.10 and a small was HUGE on me... way to much room in these things

The flipping hood does not stay on and there is no way to tighten it!!! with just a little wind it comes off.... for a 400 dollar jacket that is unacceptable

The fake fur is buttoned on and tends to not work either

There are no wrist cuffs that keep the cold in and to go ontop of that the velcro on the wrist is to loose and can not be done up tightly

all in all was very disappointed in the jacket and do not recommend it, way to heavy and the hood makes it useless... The North Face "stone sentinel" is a much better fit and has way better features

Curious of your weight. I'm 6'1", 180 lbs, and the Medium fits me perfectly. My guess is that you're very skinny?

The hood sucks, I agree.

This coat retails for $300 in the States. If you really want it, do your best to find it on sale. I've seen it in the past at $300 in some shops. Which ones specifically, I don't recall.

Faux fur sucks in general. I wouldn't purchase a coat with faux fur unless I could zip it off and toss it in the garbage.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
Still no reviews of Columbia, considering how big they were a few years ago? My cousin and his wife swear by them. They're wealthy DINKs (double income, no kids) too, and I'm kind of surprised they haven't splurged on anything new (*cough* expensive down outerwear *cough*) since having their old Columbia jackets.

And still none of Parajumpers? Owners won't openly admit that they're insufficiently warm after some valid scrutiny and field-testing? I'm not calling Parajumpers owners out on this... I'm actually curious as this issue has been brought up more than once.

I'm surprised there aren't any more of Arc'teryx. During my lurking days, before competitors like Moose Knuckles and Nobis had their current brand awareness, I vaguely recall many anti-CG posts were from Arc'teryx owners, but they were of the short "CG is overplayed, Arc'teryx FTW" immature and non-justified variety. So that might explain how they aren't willing to take the time to write more than a few words that don't slander a competitor's product line without actual analysis. I don't even think Arc'teryx and Canada Goose belong in the same class, with Arc'teryx not even being a down-filled jacket, but I would still love to read more reviews by owners here since I can't tell the various models apart. They all look alike.

I'm also surprised there are no actual Canada Goose Chilliwack reviews. Maybe it's common enough that people already know what it is and what to expect out of it. However, it seems to be a very common benchmark/standard by which other bombers (and other competing companies' products regardless of cut/style) are measured, so gotta scrutinize the measuring stick too, right? I'll see if I can review mine at some point. People still send me Private Messages from time to time asking about it, how it fits, its measurements, etc.
Jan 12, 2012
354 posts
6 upvotes
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: Still no reviews of Columbia, considering how big they were a few years ago? My cousin and his wife swear by them. They're wealthy DINKs (double income, no kids) too, and I'm kind of surprised they haven't splurged on anything new (*cough* expensive down outerwear *cough*) since having their old Columbia jackets.

And still none of Parajumpers? Owners won't openly admit that they're insufficiently warm after some valid scrutiny and field-testing? I'm not calling Parajumpers owners out on this... I'm actually curious as this issue has been brought up more than once.

I'm surprised there aren't any more of Arc'teryx. During my lurking days, before competitors like Moose Knuckles and Nobis had their current brand awareness, I vaguely recall many anti-CG posts were from Arc'teryx owners, but they were of the short "CG is overplayed, Arc'teryx FTW" immature and non-justified variety. So that might explain how they aren't willing to take the time to write more than a few words that don't slander a competitor's product line without actual analysis. I don't even think Arc'teryx and Canada Goose belong in the same class, with Arc'teryx not even being a down-filled jacket, but I would still love to read more reviews by owners here since I can't tell the various models apart. They all look alike.

I'm also surprised there are no actual Canada Goose Chilliwack reviews. Maybe it's common enough that people already know what it is and what to expect out of it. However, it seems to be a very common benchmark/standard by which other bombers (and other competing companies' products regardless of cut/style) are measured, so gotta scrutinize the measuring stick too, right? I'll see if I can review mine at some point. People still send me Private Messages from time to time asking about it, how it fits, its measurements, etc.
I doubt you'll see many, if any, Columbia reviews. It's a brand not especially popular with the 16-45 crowd.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more reviews in general. Perhaps people don't want to take the time to write them.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2975 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: I'm surprised there aren't any more of Arc'teryx. During my lurking days, before competitors like Moose Knuckles and Nobis had their current brand awareness, I vaguely recall many anti-CG posts were from Arc'teryx owners, but they were of the short "CG is overplayed, Arc'teryx FTW" immature and non-justified variety. So that might explain how they aren't willing to take the time to write more than a few words that don't slander a competitor's product line without actual analysis. I don't even think Arc'teryx and Canada Goose belong in the same class, with Arc'teryx not even being a down-filled jacket, but I would still love to read more reviews by owners here since I can't tell the various models apart. They all look alike.

You are correct Arc. They mostly do shells that block out wind and rain. I have one of their shells that does a decent job and a hoodie which I like from years back. But yeah you can't compare the two.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
Gotcha. To be fair, Canada Goose DID venture into the shell/weatherproof market but I think those did so poorly that they're justifiably no longer being manufactured. :lol:

Damn shame about Columbia... I do see at least one or two of them in any demographic on a daily basis. Surely there are people out there that still believe they work, or else they wouldn't be wearing them in the blistering cold, obviously.

Agreed... would love to see more reviews in general. I know it's easy to Google search for reviews but there's something about the manner in which RFDers review products in this niche (and I'm not talking about the "compulsory" criterion of being able to "wear just a t-shirt under jacket") that I prefer to read versus anonymous reviews scattered about on the internet.
Jan 12, 2012
354 posts
6 upvotes
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: Gotcha. To be fair, Canada Goose DID venture into the shell/weatherproof market but I think those did so poorly that they're justifiably no longer being manufactured. :lol:

Damn shame about Columbia... I do see at least one or two of them in any demographic on a daily basis. Surely there are people out there that still believe they work, or else they wouldn't be wearing them in the blistering cold, obviously.

Agreed... would love to see more reviews in general. I know it's easy to Google search for reviews but there's something about the manner in which RFDers review products in this niche (and I'm not talking about the "compulsory" criterion of being able to "wear just a t-shirt under jacket") that I prefer to read versus anonymous reviews scattered about on the internet.

I think Columbia is a great option for someone looking not to pay CG prices but still be warm. Problem is, their line is just uninspiring for men IMO. I just looked at what they offer for down coats. Their two parkas have faux fur and aren't especially nice looking. I did however like this coat and would have no qualms about wearing it. I'd rather wear Columbia than North Face.

I don't like the few reviews I come across online. They tend to be short and not very descriptive. I also find the 'I can wear this coat with just a T-shirt' review nauseating. I don't dress that way in the winter. I don't want a review to approach it under such circumstances. I also think people say things like that to borderline brag.

Sometimes you can catch a good review on backcountry.com
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1905 posts
148 upvotes
I haven't seen that many Columbia jackets on the streets recently, perhaps because of the wool/wool-blend jacket/coat trend.

I still see a lot of TNA Parkas on girls and I know that TNA has down-filled jackets this season. I'm curious to see how they stack up against other down-filled parkas.

I'd like to see more reviews and fit pics of OSC and Pajar because those are Canadian companies directly in competition with CG.

Anyone have jackets from one of the 'fashion' brands like Wings+Horns, Junya Watanabe, Nigel Cabourn, etc? How does they compare to CG? I was tempted to pick up a coat during the sale season this year but I don't know how well the jackets perform.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2975 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
BananaWeed wrote: I haven't seen that many Columbia jackets on the streets recently, perhaps because of the wool/wool-blend jacket/coat trend.

I still see a lot of TNA Parkas on girls and I know that TNA has down-filled jackets this season. I'm curious to see how they stack up against other down-filled parkas.

I'd like to see more reviews and fit pics of OSC and Pajar because those are Canadian companies directly in competition with CG.

Anyone have jackets from one of the 'fashion' brands like Wings+Horns, Junya Watanabe, Nigel Cabourn, etc? How does they compare to CG? I was tempted to pick up a coat during the sale season this year but I don't know how well the jackets perform.

Tried on the W+H down parka, i think its solid for made in MiC. Worth picking up on sale. Junya Watanabe is actually baller status for me so i never tried it on since i can't even approach that price point. NC, just found out recently that Due West carries them. Going to see if i can go into the store (is there a store) and try on the camerman jacket. Been drooling over it for over a year. I don't think anywhere in Canada carries their down wear, but I can imagine it being solid. NC uses solid constructions and materials. Their collab with eddie bauer this year was nice.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1905 posts
148 upvotes
Irbe wrote: Tried on the W+H down parka, i think its solid for made in MiC. Worth picking up on sale. Junya Watanabe is actually baller status for me so i never tried it on since i can't even approach that price point. NC, just found out recently that Due West carries them. Going to see if i can go into the store (is there a store) and try on the camerman jacket. Been drooling over it for over a year. I don't think anywhere in Canada carries their down wear, but I can imagine it being solid. NC uses solid constructions and materials. Their collab with eddie bauer this year was nice.

W+H down jackets could be found for <$300 on sale. JW jackets were $3-400, and NC pieces were always expensive (like at least $500+).

NCxEB pieces looked nice, but they were really pricey. I've been looking for an olive parka or fishtail parka in a waxed cotton/canvas and was looking at some Junya pieces, but in the end I didn't pull the trigger because I think the jackets are too busy for me. I was hoping to scoop up a Levi's Made and Crafted parka but couldn't find my size. Cheapest I've seen it was ~$120 during the mrporter sales.

As for Due West, they do have a store and it's near Queen & Spadina in Toronto (that's where I tried on the CMFR Gormley and CG Chateau).
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2975 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
BananaWeed wrote: W+H down jackets could be found for <$300 on sale. JW jackets were $3-400, and NC pieces were always expensive (like at least $500+).

NCxEB pieces looked nice, but they were really pricey. I've been looking for an olive parka or fishtail parka in a waxed cotton/canvas and was looking at some Junya pieces, but in the end I didn't pull the trigger because I think the jackets are too busy for me. I was hoping to scoop up a Levi's Made and Crafted parka but couldn't find my size. Cheapest I've seen it was ~$120 during the mrporter sales.

As for Due West, they do have a store and it's near Queen & Spadina in Toronto (that's where I tried on the CMFR Gormley and CG Chateau).

Wax cotton go with this. Not olive, but more brown

http://havenshop.ca/collections/wings-h ... tail-parka

Still on the fence about this as not sure to get this or splurg on a new pair of shoes.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2975 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
BananaWeed wrote: W+H down jackets could be found for <$300 on sale. JW jackets were $3-400, and NC pieces were always expensive (like at least $500+).

Yeah saw the W+H around. No need for a second down jacket. At least in that weight. Cool going for sure to check out the NC pieces. The color ways for this season are whack though for the cameraman, but just wanna see the pieces in person as I 've heard many good things about them
Jun 6, 2007
546 posts
29 upvotes
BananaWeed wrote: $_$

i tried that wings and horns jacket on... its really nice, but kind of light and don't know how warm it will keep you...
Sep 23, 2007
268 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
So I've been reading all the posts and just wondering whether all three of these jackets are made in Canada - nobis osc and cmfr. I'd prefer not to spend 700+ on a jacket MIC.

Thanks!