Fashion & Apparel

Outerwear Jacket Reviews (CG, CMFR, MK, Nobis, etc)

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2015 1:58 pm
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
43189 posts
3035 upvotes
Toronto
BananaWeed wrote:
Nov 29th, 2012 9:43 pm
In my experience, my CMFR Oxton, with only 550 fill power, is the warmest out of all the jackets I've owned (CG Manitoba 625 FP, CG Constable 625 FP, Nobis Yatesy 80/20 down). I couldn't find info on the FP of the Yatesy. Anyone know the fill power of Nobis products?

Fill Power is probably just marketing hype. MEC has some jackets that list 800 fill power. I haven't tried these jackets, so I can't comment on their warmth, but I doubt they'd be 30%+ warmer than a 550 FP jacket.
Nobis Is supposedly 625-650.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 4, 2011
1421 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
BananaWeed wrote:
Nov 29th, 2012 9:43 pm
In my experience, my CMFR Oxton, with only 550 fill power, is the warmest out of all the jackets I've owned (CG Manitoba 625 FP, CG Constable 625 FP, Nobis Yatesy 80/20 down). I couldn't find info on the FP of the Yatesy. Anyone know the fill power of Nobis products?

Fill Power is probably just marketing hype. MEC has some jackets that list 800 fill power. I haven't tried these jackets, so I can't comment on their warmth, but I doubt they'd be 30%+ warmer than a 550 FP jacket.
The CMFR is super thick. I have the same experience comparing the CMFR to CGs or PJs, it's definately warmer.
Fill power isn't all just marketing but it is used as a sly way to trick the consumer.
Different Fill powers are used for different designated jackets. You wouldn't need a extra high FP in a thick parka because you can pack enough down in it to keep warmth. On other lighter layering jackets or jackets used for high physical activity, you wouldn't be able to have such a heavy layering level and a higher fill power will obviously be more effective.

Also a lower fill power will be more effective when there's moisture as their structure is retained better.
If you compare a jacket using the same amount of down, the higher fill power will probably be warmer. However it might not be the more usefull of the two.
5∞ Flickr

Fashion hurts pussboi
Sr. Member
Apr 28, 2004
679 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga
An e-mail from Nobis:
The weight of down per jacket differs with each size. We use the optimum quantity of down with a fill rate of 625, that allows for optimal warmth throughout our mid-weight jackets as well as our regular down jackets. Because of our high fill power and our Canadian duck down; our jackets are very light compared to most down jackets.

Thanks for supporting nobis!
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 14, 2005
600 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Homogeneity wrote:
Nov 29th, 2012 9:26 pm
Would you then say that, when comparing premium parkas, the physical weightiness of the jacket's down layer is somewhat indicative of warmth?
Yes, that is definately true with the higher end brands. The reasoning is that they use high power fills. If the weight is combined with high power fill inside then thats warm. Compare the barry/yatesy/resolute with other parkas its easy to see there is a difference. the drawback to this is that its extremely puffy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 30, 2006
1879 posts
137 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Nov 30th, 2012 2:45 am
Thanks for thanking him.
Thanks!
ghostfacechilla wrote:
Nov 30th, 2012 8:12 am
Yes, that is definately true with the higher end brands. The reasoning is that they use high power fills. If the weight is combined with high power fill inside then thats warm. Compare the barry/yatesy/resolute with other parkas its easy to see there is a difference. the drawback to this is that its extremely puffy.
Yeah, usually more down = warmer. This depends on the quality of the down though.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
43189 posts
3035 upvotes
Toronto
BananaWeed wrote:
Nov 30th, 2012 11:31 am
Thanks!



Yeah, usually more down = warmer. This depends on the quality of the down though.
I thanked you for thanking me!

Yeah, The # of downfill they advertise doesn't mean much If they use some ghetto down.
Newbie
Nov 29, 2012
1 posts
TORONTO
ghostfacechilla wrote:
Nov 30th, 2012 8:12 am
Yes, that is definately true with the higher end brands. The reasoning is that they use high power fills. If the weight is combined with high power fill inside then thats warm. Compare the barry/yatesy/resolute with other parkas its easy to see there is a difference. the drawback to this is that its extremely puffy.
On that note...

"Fill power is one of the most commonly mistaken things when looking at down jackets. When you see 600, 650, 800 etc. these are numbers that refer to the fill quality. That number is the amount of cubic inches one ounce of down takes up. For example one once of 700 fill power down takes up 700 cubic inches. So if you have three ounces of 700 fill and three ounces of 600 fill the 700 fill would be warmer. However, a jacket might have 10 ounces of 800 fill down and have similar warmth to a jacket with 14 ounces of 600 fill down. The jacket with 800 fill down is the same warmth but will be lighter and more compressible because it has less down in it." (http://blog.parajumpershop.com/?cat=50)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 22, 2011
4904 posts
747 upvotes
All this discussion is triggering memories of just how hefty the old Resolute and Snow Mantra I had were, so much so that they started to make the rod in my closet start to bow in the middle where they were hung. Sure, the jackets were of a larger size than I wear, so naturally you'd expect them to weigh more... but still imagining a proportionally smaller jacket (one that would actually fit me), you can still tell they were stuffed to the max and definitely are CG's hardcore jackets.
Member
User avatar
Feb 2, 2003
374 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
hi there,

i'm currently deciding between my first CG coat - a Kensington or a Trillium. can anyone tell me the major differences between them? it seems the Trillium is a little warmer but bulkier? possibly heavier? anyone compare the two that could provide any insight? i'm flip flopping back and forth and would love some feedback! :)
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 14, 2005
600 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Nikitty wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 11:25 pm
hi there,

i'm currently deciding between my first CG coat - a Kensington or a Trillium. can anyone tell me the major differences between them? it seems the Trillium is a little warmer but bulkier? possibly heavier? anyone compare the two that could provide any insight? i'm flip flopping back and forth and would love some feedback! :)
Hi Nikitty. I should be able to help you out here. The Trillium is one of the original knee length parkas from CG for ladies. It is tapered at the waist and flares a little on the bottom. It sports a basic clean look on the front and back, and is considered warm and comfortable all around. The Kensington was introduced a few years ago and is part of CG's urban design due to increased demand for slimmer, flashier coats. It has less oz of down inside, is a lot slimmer, and is not tapered at the waist as much. However both do have drawstrings so you can taper them in. Details on the Kensington such as the butt flap and front buttons make it a more upscale looking coat. Definately not as warm as the Trillium.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 30, 2006
1879 posts
137 upvotes
Nikitty wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 11:25 pm
hi there,

i'm currently deciding between my first CG coat - a Kensington or a Trillium. can anyone tell me the major differences between them? it seems the Trillium is a little warmer but bulkier? possibly heavier? anyone compare the two that could provide any insight? i'm flip flopping back and forth and would love some feedback! :)
I prefer the look of the Kensington over the Trillium because it has a slimmer cut. The pockets of the Kensington may be more comfortable since are angled vs the Trillium's horizontal pockets.
× < >

Top