Fashion & Apparel

Outerwear Jacket Reviews (CG, CMFR, MK, Nobis, etc)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2016 2:04 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4904 posts
747 upvotes
Great work finding them, Firebolt! I think those are fair prices, reasonably in line with the Chateau and Expedition that they're trying to emulate.
achineseguy wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 3:24 pm
How come I never hear ofpeople talking about the calgary or Edmonton (which i think isstill only in jp? ). i saw a loro p. goose bomber once, no info on that?
Calgary is the "unicorn of CG" because nobody can seem to find it. :lol: For how prevalent and respected the Manitoba is on RFD, I think there was only ever one infrequent RFDer who gave their review of the Calgary.

Shame, because the Calgary was my first choice when I first became aware of the brand, followed closely by the Manitoba. However, when a size small Manitoba in black manifested itself on eBay for under $400, I jumped on it and nearly forgot about the Calgary. Once in a while though, I do see the odd Calgary pop up on eBay. I'd imagine the two, being siblings, are priced reasonably close together at retail, yet every Kijiji and eBay link I've seen for a secondhand Calgary seems to be hugely expensive compared to the secondhand prices you can get on a Manitoba.

The Edmonton is also a rare sighting. The only one I ever spotted is here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-o ... st14870136

The Loro Piana bomber is the D'Alpago (mens) or Aosta (womens). Or are you asking for reviews, given this is the review thread? I've only ever gotten my hands on a Como parka (also from the Loro Piana line) at Harry Rosen. Nice jacket, but I would never drop $1600 for it. Speaking of Loro Piana and Harry Rosen, I'm currently looking for a nice wool 3/4 length topcoat to wear over my suit, and I tried on a gorgeous, simple black one (Harry Rosen brand) made with Loro Piana wool that fit me like a dream. It was $450 after the Boxing Day promotion pricing, and didn't have surgeon cuffs, so screw it. :lol: That brings me to my next point...
originalgoods13 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 5:30 pm
Has anyone have experience with Dark Brown outerwear? Are they hard to match with dress clothes for work? I was thinking of moving away from the conventional Black to either Navy or Dark Brown
Please do not wear a down-filled parka with business/dress clothing if you can help it. :) You should be wearing a wool coat as per the rules of fashion, fickle and fussy as they are. ;)
Dec 23, 2012
29 posts
1 upvote
WINNIPEG
achineseguy wrote:
How come I never hear ofpeople talking about the calgary or Edmonton (which i think isstill only in jp? ). i saw a loro p. goose bomber once, no info on that?
There's a Calgary in Black (Branta) at Harry Rosen here in Winnipeg. Less 25% last week I saw it with the Manitoba.
Dec 21, 2006
171 posts
36 upvotes
Parajumpers coat reviews

I have many winter coats to review (When I get better at this), but I will start my first reviews with my 2 favs the PJS Denali and long bear, I also have mackage, nobis and Canada Goose winter coats, if you have any comparison questions.

I’m a girl who is very scared of being cold and these coats keep me very warm, and sometimes even sweaty hot, I usually only wear one layer inside. With that said, I drive everywhere and am rarely outside. But the details on these coats are immaculate.

Womans PJS Long Bear size XXS (2012/2013)
Retail: $1000CAD

INTRO

This review is for the long bear style, I choose this long coat over other puffly long coats because I think the length is perfect for me; it hits above the knees and doesn’t make me look short. Its slim fitting, would be better if they had a waist string on the inside as well. But it fits snug now and has room to wear sweaters/chunky knits inside if needed. The strings at the bottom can be pulled to make the coat tighter at the bottom, to prevent wind from coming in at the bottom. The hood has 4 snaps to snap it together to make it look more like a collar and keep the neck warmer, it is lined with rabbit fur. And need to unsnap it to wear it as a hood. It feels really good to have this one on, because it’s slim for a puffy coat. It’s not heavy (especially compared to MK)

Details

Rabbit fur lined inside with Raccoon Fur trim Hood, everything is removable separately.

Metal lobster-claw clasp closure at collar to hook the hood together

Yellow bungee cord at hood mostly only for looks

Hood has double back zip and press-stud tab closure. can lay the hood flat or regular hood style or use the 4 snaps to turn into a collar for extra neck warmth.

Logo hardware with yellow canvas detail at collar.

Tonal canvas trim with orange stitch accent at shoulders.

Zip closure and press-stud zipper with hidden flap to keep the wind out

Patch pockets at front. Pockets have snap closers as well

Zip and press-stud detail at side seams. And drawstrings to tighten the bottom.

Velcro signature logo patch at sleeve. (Comes with extra logo patch in burgundy color) Newer model this year the Velcro patch is stitched onto the shoulder, need to cut the thread to remove it and change patches, this is for extra security to keep the patch on.

Lined.

Tonal stitching.

Shell: 100% polyamide.

Lining: 100% polyester.

Filling: 90% down, 10% feathers.

Hood Lining: 100% hare fur.

Hood Trim: 100% Asiatic raccoon fur.

Machine wash cold. Imported. Made in China

Masterpiece series

summary
I’m not very good with typing up my thoughts, It’s a great coat and my current fav, the pictures online does not do this coat justice, here are photos for fit, 5’6 (without heels) and 105 lbs wearing XXS

Dec 21, 2006
171 posts
36 upvotes
Parajumpers coat reviews continued...

Woman’s PJS Denali size XXS
Retail: $1145CAD

INTRO

The Denali style seems to be new starting 2011 or 2012 I Bought this last year, it is very slim fit, and has a faux fur lining on the inside that keeps the body very warm, looked like real rabbit fur at first. It has a hood that can be pulled out from the standing collar (I never use this function) and the fur collar is very full and fluffy (my fav part). The signature metal clasp is used to hook the collar together and the yellow bungee string is probably just decoration. The fur collar is a light beige color; it has the lightest color on the fur for the 3 PJS coats I will be reviewing. I love this flattering length (similar length to CG Montebello) but even better fitting throughout. It sits right above the butt.

Details

Removable super fluffy Raccoon fur stand collar. With hidden hood.

Metal lobster-claw clasp closure at collar.
Yellow bungee cord at collar and back side of coat probably for decoration purposes.

Press stud and concealed zipper front closure.

Canvas trim with orange stitching at placket and shoulders.

Press stud flap pockets and wraparound zip pocket at bust.

Press stud flap pockets at waist.

Velcro logo patch at sleeve. removable.

Patches at elbows.

Inset rib knit sleeve cuffs.

Interior draw cord at waist. This is great to synch in the waist.

Zips at side seams.

Fully lined with faux fur.

Shell: 100% polyester.

Lining: 100% polyester.
Lining: faux fur (keeps the body very warm)

Fill: 90% duck down, 10% feather.

Machine wash cold. Imported. Made in China.

Masterpiece series

Pros:
-extremely light and easy to move
-very comfortable jacket
-slim fitting and feminine
-removable fur collar
-fur lined inside
-material is very easy to clean and is pretty much stain resistant.
-water and snow slips right off the material of the outer shell

Cons:
-the hood is annoying to take out and looks ugly (do not use it) Judy pretend the coat does not come with a good at all.
-on the pricy side
-it absorbs smell, do not go to korean bbq or anywhere which has strong smell that can seep into the coat. I don't smoke so I don't know how it would handle smoke.

Summary

I’m not very good with typing up my thoughts, it’s a FANTASTIC style and very flattering, get many compliments and girls asking about it when I wear it, here are photos for fit, 5’6 (without heels) and 105 lbs wearing XXS

[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1879 posts
137 upvotes
Thanks, s2. I'll add them to the OP shortly.

Edit: PJ reviews added to the opening posts.

A couple of questions:

1. How warm are the PJs compared to other brands?
2. What's the coldest temperature at which you think you can wear them comfortably?
3. How's the sizing on the jackets (ie did you have to size up or down)?

The pockets for the Denali don't look very comfortable.
Dec 21, 2006
171 posts
36 upvotes
BananaWeed wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 10:34 pm
Thanks, s2. I'll add them to the OP shortly.

Edit: PJ reviews added to the opening posts.

A couple of questions:

1. How warm are the PJs compared to other brands?

The PJS denali is the warmest and PJS in general is warmer than my CG chilliwack, and Mackage puffy, I haven't wore my Nobis coat at all this year since I got it, but it's probably warmer than PJS

2. What's the coldest temperature at which you think you can wear them comfortably?

I don't walk out in the cold much, probably just from the car to the door and through the parking lot. However they are very warm and I don't feel cold in them besides my legs which are not covered.

3. How's the sizing on the jackets (ie did you have to size up or down)?

All my winter coats are size xxs, I would say I sized down. I wear the smallest size in most clothes. Size xs where available but not xxs.

The pockets for the Denali don't look very comfortable.

The pockets are fine, fits iPhone 5 perfectly, however my hand does not fit in it completely. The long bear pocket is actually less comfortable because the opening is small and there is a placket in the way.
Answers in bold, hope that helps

I have review for man's PJS right hand coming, after I get some answers to write a better review.
May 18, 2008
26 posts
6 upvotes
I'm interested to see what [s2]'s review is on the PJS Right Hand Man Jacket. I got mine right before Christmas from Stylexchange and love it. However, I'm also curious what other people think of it and why they got theirs.
Apr 13, 2012
333 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
s2, i think the denali looks awesome on you, but i agree with the others about the pockets...looks like a jacket you'd have to wear gloves with, which is not necessarily a bad thing at all...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1879 posts
137 upvotes
'[s2 wrote:;16093703']Answers in bold, hope that helps

I have review for man's PJS right hand coming, after I get some answers to write a better review.
PJs warmer than CG? I think that's a first, lol.
Dec 25, 2009
406 posts
17 upvotes
elusiveflip wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 11:30 pm
I'm interested to see what [s2]'s review is on the PJS Right Hand Man Jacket. I got mine right before Christmas from Stylexchange and love it. However, I'm also curious what other people think of it and why they got theirs.
I have a PJS Juneau, which has been discontinued, but it appears to be identical to the Right Hand. I could be wrong. It is warm, think of it as a shorter version of the Kodiak.....which has been reviewed before I believe.
Dec 25, 2009
406 posts
17 upvotes
achineseguy wrote:
I have a Calgary. I made a brief review in this thread. Just use the search button. Honestly, it doesn't get much wear. I find it too puffy and excessively warm. I'm starting to dislike the look of fur on coats.....perhaps too many people are wearing fur from all various brands. We are looking like the villian Sabretooth from X-men :)

Thought about selling the Calgary, but too lazy to post it LOL.....Have far too many coats! Recently picked up a Barbour Bedale with the vest liner. With a bit of layering, I should be able to survive the greater part of Toronto winter.
Banned
Nov 22, 2012
210 posts
11 upvotes
Mississauga
Jimboski wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 11:06 pm
dem pockets.
which pockets are you referring too? ;) haha
× < >