Page 58 of 73

Re: Outerwear Jacket Reviews (CG, CMFR, MK, Nobis, etc)

Posted: Sep 21st, 2014 1:24 pm
by Simaahoy
Serious question: What type of winter coats are 'in' now? My budget is max 1K.

Posted: Sep 21st, 2014 3:05 pm
by Diamondog
Bought TNF Himalayan yesterday in the vaporous grey...will post another pic when it comes in and review it...

[IMG]http://s16.postimg.org/puoz5b5ol/CL19_TP6_hero.jpg[/IMG]

Posted: Sep 24th, 2014 10:23 am
by LockAndKey
Can anyone comment on CG Borden bomber? I really like the redwood color but I'm not sure if it justifies $750 price tag.

Posted: Sep 24th, 2014 9:47 pm
by MomoK177
What can anyone tell me about this jacket? I really like the look of it (tried it on) but scared it won't keep me warm during winter.

http://www.rudsak.com/en/stephan-black-11040

Posted: Sep 24th, 2014 11:07 pm
by uber_shnitz
MomoK177 wrote: What can anyone tell me about this jacket? I really like the look of it (tried it on) but scared it won't keep me warm during winter.

How resilient (or wussy) are you to cold in general? I've found the warmth of a jacket is proportional to how well one tolerates (or doesn't) the weather.

Posted: Sep 25th, 2014 9:04 am
by Diamondog
LockAndKey wrote: Can anyone comment on CG Borden bomber? I really like the redwood color but I'm not sure if it justifies $750 price tag.
I have the Borden bomber in black. It is a beautiful jacket, great fit, looks great, I am in Ottawa so we can get pretty cold here and it does the job no problem. My only complaint is that in my car the hood is a little awkward until repositioned when sitting in my car with the head rest because of the size of the hood/fur but I wouldn't change it because of that. I will also say I have tried on the Chilliwack and the Chilliwack feels very low budget and cheaply constructed compared to the Borden. I have no problems looking back at the cost of this bomber.

Posted: Sep 25th, 2014 6:33 pm
by aznnorth
Diamondog wrote: Bought TNF Himalayan yesterday in the vaporous grey...will post another pic when it comes in and review it...

[IMG]http://s16.postimg.org/puoz5b5ol/CL19_TP6_hero.jpg[/IMG]
You paid $750 retail??? Daaamn, I paid 50% off that price tag last january for the black model. Pays to wait if you want good deals. What I didnt like about it was the lack of a double zipper. I bought mine a size larger since I like a looser fit with possible layering. So the length goes down lower and a double zipper would be a good feature. Other similar models do have a double zipper like CG's Skreslet Parka. I'm thinking of purchasing that model. Same warmth as the expedition, resolute, snow mantra but without the bulk and fur collar.

[IMG]http://www.freeds.com/media/catalog/pro ... _black.jpg[/IMG]

Posted: Oct 17th, 2014 4:31 pm
by dysonlu
aznnorth wrote: You paid $750 retail??? Daaamn, I paid 50% off that price tag last january for the black model. Pays to wait if you want good deals. What I didnt like about it was the lack of a double zipper. I bought mine a size larger since I like a looser fit with possible layering. So the length goes down lower and a double zipper would be a good feature. Other similar models do have a double zipper like CG's Skreslet Parka. I'm thinking of purchasing that model. Same warmth as the expedition, resolute, snow mantra but without the bulk and fur collar.
Where did he say he bought at retail price? Or, are you just bragging about the deal you found?

Posted: Oct 17th, 2014 6:00 pm
by balance
so can you buy CG Manitoba Jacket in toronto like in lebaron

Posted: Oct 20th, 2014 4:32 pm
by BananaWeed
Added a couple of reviews to the first post(s). I haven't been into the jacket 'scene' in a while but I'll update this thread when I can.

Posted: Oct 20th, 2014 5:27 pm
by o0vL
balance wrote: so can you buy CG Manitoba Jacket in toronto like in lebaron
if this is a question, then i dont think you cant find the manitoba in retail stores anymore...unless they have old new stock.
manitoba is rare and best bet is to buy second hand online or find a rare new stock and pay a premium

Posted: Oct 20th, 2014 5:29 pm
by DJ_Peanuts22
aznnorth wrote: You paid $750 retail??? Daaamn, I paid 50% off that price tag last january for the black model. Pays to wait if you want good deals.
Where?

Posted: Oct 21st, 2014 2:48 am
by aznnorth
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Where?
January time frame. Late december, january is when retail stores get rid of winter inventory by having huge sales. Same every year, every major retailer. Sporting life had a big 50% off all jackets and parkas by TNF. So $750 @50% = $375. That's why you shud never buy early just when the stock comes in beginning of the season. Of course they gonna charge you max upfront, lol. Exception is Canada Goose which never goes on sale so it's best to buy them any time of the year they're in stock. Best time for CG is late august. That's when Sporting Life gets their first stack of new season models. The pick is yours. You have the entire CG floor to yourself, ha!

Posted: Oct 21st, 2014 1:28 pm
by ShadowVlican
MomoK177 wrote: What can anyone tell me about this jacket? I really like the look of it (tried it on) but scared it won't keep me warm during winter.

they don't even list any specific details about the fabric or insulation... and i'm too lazy to dig for it

it's a fashion jacket.

Posted: Oct 21st, 2014 1:50 pm
by dysonlu
aznnorth wrote: Quote Originally Posted by dysonlu
"Where did he say he bought at retail price? Or, are you just bragging about the deal you found?"

LOL, use your brains... or rattle it a bit maybe. Dude bought it online. His post was Sept 21st. Obviously he bought it on or before that date before posting on RFD. NO stores have TheNorthFace Himilaya in-store at that time. The Himilaya doesnt come in till early October time frame. Even TNF own stores didnt have it at that time. In fact they just got it in-stock couple of weeks ago. The only place selling the Himalaya at that time is online dealers at FULL price aka $750. Next time try to use Google before making RFD armchair assumptions at the most basic level. NEXT. :facepalm:
Wow. You are indeed a bragger. "RFD armchair assumptions"? Oh the irony. First, you assumed he bought at retail price and then, you assumed (and that's a big one) that there's absolutely no way to get that jacket at lower than retail price at that time. Go to http://www.altitude-sports.com/en . You can get 75$ off by sending in your old jacket or 15% off your first purchase by registering or 5%off by becoming a lifetime member. These promos have been on for a while now and you can use them on TNF products. There.

Take your own advice: use Google next time.

Posted: Oct 21st, 2014 2:14 pm
by test9251
When to buy north face gotham jacket? It's $380 now.

Posted: Oct 23rd, 2014 1:41 pm
by BananaWeed
Gotham jackets usually go on sale a few times during the winter season, but usually towards the end of the season.

Posted: Oct 24th, 2014 11:43 am
by [s2]
Just want to mention that PJS now uses coyote fur trim on the hoods (same type as CG) which I'm a bit bummed out by since mine had the ugly murmansky fur trims.

also they have a ECO version which is faux fur trim (for those who are against fur)

Posted: Oct 25th, 2014 11:46 pm
by willyxjai
test9251 wrote: When to buy north face gotham jacket? It's $380 now.
If you dont wanna wait find some that works for a retail store that sells NF or get that team assist booklet where you can save 20% off which I believe theres a thread under the hot deals forum

Posted: Oct 25th, 2014 11:54 pm
by test9251
willyxjai wrote: If you dont wanna wait find some that works for a retail store that sells NF or get that team assist booklet where you can save 20% off which I believe theres a thread under the hot deals forum
I already have sportchek 20% off coupons. problem is, sportchek don't have XS gotham jacket, and the Small size is little loose.