Fashion & Beauty

Outerwear Jacket Reviews (CG, CMFR, MK, Nobis, etc)

Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
1042 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto
FlashEngineer wrote: Where did you exchange yours at? I still paid hefty for this but better than retail. Still cheaper than cg though.
I contacted CMFR through their contact us page and dealt with the owner I believe. Can't remember his name atm. Went to their office in Scarborough and he showed me two fur ruffs. I chose one but I wonder if I didn't like either if he would've showed me more
May 12, 2004
984 posts
244 upvotes
q1w2e3r4 wrote: +1 for the arctic bay parka...I have the Men's Toronto Parka and absolutely love it...it's very warm and functional.
I have the Alaska and my wife has the Charlotte. This past snowfall, I was burning hot while shovel snow. Had to take off after a number minutes. Damn warm and easy to get hot with physical activity. Good stuff.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1397 posts
86 upvotes
What size Nobis Yatesy should I consider? I'm about 6 ft, 175 lbs. A medium CG Chilliwack fits me perfectly. I tried on a medium CG expedition a few years ago and it was massive.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
1535 posts
94 upvotes
Markham
So I grabbed the new fur from CMFR recently.

[IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/145 ... ewfur1.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/145 ... ewfur2.JPG[/IMG]

It's better than what I had, though not overly huge but good enough. They had 2 for me to choose, the other was actually bigger but the color was more brownish and I wanted the white fur more. I need to brush it out more or something to get it fuller, but whatever.

A few words in general about this company and the Gormley parka etc...

CMFR isn't a huge company like CG, Nobis or even MK. It's small, like really small. So don't expect customer service like CG where you can find out stock levels and easily get a hold of a rep at a call center for warranty etc. There is no call center, it's really only Mark and maybe few other people, his assistant, doing all the customer service.

The parka quality, I'd say is on par or just 9.5/10 of a CG jacket, just from the seams and stitching, there's slight things like excess threads left on the coat that could have been dealt with better. Though they claim it's made in one of the same or similar factories in Winnipeg as CG or MK is. I haven't gotten an exact manufacturer or address of where these are made, which again you would have no trouble finding for CG.

I chose this as my main parka over other brands because it's warmer, it feels warmer and looks warmer and is warmer than most of the CG line, if that's what you want to compare. I don't know if this is rated to -40C or whatever but I'm sure with proper layering you can use this if you ever go to Alaska or even Antarctica. Compare to CG Langford/Chateau or similar TEI 4 or whatever CG uses -25C, I find the Gormley warmer. I tested several jackets and for sure this parka is equivalent or higher than say a CG with TEI 5 like Expedition, plus it looks better.

It's probably due to the fill loft/weight. It's 550 power but they fill it up more than a Chateau. I don't know why companies fill less with a higher fill power, it's really annoying but feels less warm IMO.

In summary, I think the parka is great and the bombers they have are great too if you don't want to buy CG or Nobis etc, it's warmer for sure. But if you care more about customer service, then try another company, it's pretty hard to get any service, and was almost like prying open a vault to get them to exchange the fur. I think I will go for another company to buy a bomber, for less severe weather, just don't really want to deal with customer service if I have more issues with another one of their furs etc.

Here's a pic of it on me, not much time to take pictures with family to take care of etc... for reference this is XS and I'm about 5'5" - 135lbs or so.

[IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/145 ... rmley1.jpg[/IMG]
Need help on Rogers plans? Don't bother unless you like spending hours with them...
dumping Rogers? hmm...
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
kimbot wrote: What size Nobis Yatesy should I consider? I'm about 6 ft, 175 lbs. A medium CG Chilliwack fits me perfectly. I tried on a medium CG expedition a few years ago and it was massive.
I'd say Yatesy hits between Chilliwack and Expedition. I would know, I owe one.

depends on you like the fit, I recommend trying it out
Jan 8, 2010
176 posts
291 upvotes
FlashEngineer wrote: But if you care more about customer service, then try another company, it's pretty hard to get any service, and was almost like prying open a vault to get them to exchange the fur. I think I will go for another company to buy a bomber, for less severe weather, just don't really want to deal with customer service if I have more issues with another one of their furs etc.
Sucks to hear you didn't have a good experience exchanging your fur. I was also unhappy with my original fur and Mark agreed to exchange, no problem. Arrived at the warehouse and didn't really like the one fur they had available for me, but Melissa spent a good 10 minutes digging in the back for one with fuller fur. I still left feeling like the fur could be more full, but it has since fluffed up in the wind, to the point where it's almost ridiculous how fluffy it is.

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/14bhv2p.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/4ioeon.jpg[/IMG]
Nov 17, 2013
26 posts
1 upvote
I bought the CG Kensington jacket about 3 weeks ago.
I bought it late in the winter because I was starting a new job which required me to commute, so I wanted to be warm but not sweat on my hour long train ride. And this jacket does just that!! I zip it up when I'm walking (or running) to the bus stop and I feel so warm in even -25 weather! And that's with just a cardigan underneath.
I also just unzip my jacket on the train and I feel just fine. The fur also keeps the harsh wind from hurting my face!
And not to mention the fit and style of the jacket is amazing.
I bought xxs (I'm 5'1", 32A, 24 inch waist - I'm small, I get it).
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
3137 posts
466 upvotes
need to upgrade winter wear
plz hot deals come thru
Sep 27, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi, Does any one know how size is on Parajumpers "Kodiak" and "Right hand". Im buying a new winter jacket (parka) to replace my North Face McMurdo since i think the Mcmurdo jacket is quite big for me. I am about 183cm 75kg (6ft 165lb), i usually have M or L and two years ago i bought Mcmurdo in a springsale in size M but i think its way to big. I want to buy a new jacket and i tried an Canada Goose parka in size M in local store and it was ok. Nobis and Parajupers are not available in local stores since i live in small place so them i have to order, its ok that these are exensive jackets since i want a really good one. Last year we bought a Nobis Meredith for wife and it looks great. But im also interested in Parajumpers. Does anyone know how size is on Mens Parajumpers and Nobis?
Nov 4, 2015
1 posts
Mississauga, ON
Just wondering anyone can help me out here. I purchased a Nobis jacket at Boardway fashion two months ago then on the spot we found that the Nobis tag was missing at the bottom of the jacket so they send it out for repair. And now almost 3 months and the jacket is still not back yet. I mean I paid like $800 for a jacket and would like to wear it before the winter is over. Anyone got any suggestion on what I should do? I kept calling and they said they dont know and the email address they gave me is wrong. Please help.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
mangew wrote: Hi, Does any one know how size is on Parajumpers "Kodiak" and "Right hand". Im buying a new winter jacket (parka) to replace my North Face McMurdo since i think the Mcmurdo jacket is quite big for me. I am about 183cm 75kg (6ft 165lb), i usually have M or L and two years ago i bought Mcmurdo in a springsale in size M but i think its way to big. I want to buy a new jacket and i tried an Canada Goose parka in size M in local store and it was ok. Nobis and Parajupers are not available in local stores since i live in small place so them i have to order, its ok that these are exensive jackets since i want a really good one. Last year we bought a Nobis Meredith for wife and it looks great. But im also interested in Parajumpers. Does anyone know how size is on Mens Parajumpers and Nobis?
Nobis sizing is mostly true to size except for a couple of jackets that fit a bit big like the Barry.

ygpm
TaTaLiu wrote: Just wondering anyone can help me out here. I purchased a Nobis jacket at Boardway fashion two months ago then on the spot we found that the Nobis tag was missing at the bottom of the jacket so they send it out for repair. And now almost 3 months and the jacket is still not back yet. I mean I paid like $800 for a jacket and would like to wear it before the winter is over. Anyone got any suggestion on what I should do? I kept calling and they said they dont know and the email address they gave me is wrong. Please help.
Why didn't you ask for a refund or exchange it for one that has all the tags? Contact Broadway fashion, they're the one who processed your warranty claim. I'm surprised you paid for something that you didn't even get to use once yet, the store should not have sold you the jacket but send it back to Nobis to have it fixed for re-sale.
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
I'm talking about men's jackets. Do you prefer a bomber parka or a longer parka? I'm slim and I think a long parka looks hideous on me. A bomber parka sort of acts the same way as a double breast suit on a slim body. It makes it appear wider.

Do bombers lok too hipster though? I am getting a Mackage Dixon.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1503 posts
122 upvotes
Anyone with the new CG Berwick bombers can comment on it?

Deciding between the Berwick or the Borden.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21357 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Any review on this one?

CG Carson?

Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
tomjose wrote: Anyone with the new CG Berwick bombers can comment on it?

Deciding between the Berwick or the Borden.
No different than a Chilliwack bomber, function wise. Both TEI 3 which means you freeze ur azz off anything below -20C. Alternative is OSC Desna bomber rated -40C, cheaper price and CG competitor, coyote fur collar, made in canada.

If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Nov 9, 2015
17 posts
Scotland
Down Jacket Season is now open. Or at least it has been for a couple weeks here for the extremely cold blooded who have been wearing their CGs for the first time.

I would like to know, for a 6 foot tall 44 inch chest, 225lb guy, what would be the best size for a Canada Goose Expedition Parka? I can fit a large (just) in the Citadel and Large in the Chilliwack. I want to be able to layer up a little and not just wear a t-shirt under it, id like to be able to wear a hoody or zipper under it and feel toasty warm with the jacket open.

Thanks.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
DownJacketFan wrote: Down Jacket Season is now open. Or at least it has been for a couple weeks here for the extremely cold blooded who have been wearing their CGs for the first time.

I would like to know, for a 6 foot tall 44 inch chest, 225lb guy, what would be the best size for a Canada Goose Expedition Parka? I can fit a large (just) in the Citadel and Large in the Chilliwack. I want to be able to layer up a little and not just wear a t-shirt under it, id like to be able to wear a hoody or zipper under it and feel toasty warm with the jacket open.

Thanks.
ORLY? Peeps are wearing CG's in scotland?? It's 18C there... Astonished Face

CG's TEI 5 jackets tend to be oversized for purpose of layering. TE5 models are built to layer at your current size accommodating several mid-layers. If you dont intend to layer (ie. walk around the city and not the arctic) then you might wanna more snug fit. If you do intend to layer then get a looser fit. For example, if you are currently an XL and intend to layer up for the arctic then stick with an XL. If you are not a north pole trekker, then downsize 1-2 sizes to see fit. Best bet, try them on in-person as everyone's body shape is different.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Nov 9, 2015
17 posts
Scotland
aznnorth wrote:
DownJacketFan wrote: Down Jacket Season is now open. Or at least it has been for a couple weeks here for the extremely cold blooded who have been wearing their CGs for the first time.

Thanks.
ORLY? Peeps are wearing CG's in scotland?? It's 18C there... Astonished Face

CG's TEI 5 jackets tend to be oversized for purpose of layering. TE5 models are built to layer at your current size accommodating several mid-layers. If you dont intend to layer (ie. walk around the city and not the arctic) then you might wanna more snug fit. If you do intend to layer then get a looser fit. For example, if you are currently an XL and intend to layer up for the arctic then stick with an XL. If you are not a north pole trekker, then downsize 1-2 sizes to see fit. Best bet, try them on in-person as everyone's body shape is different.
It was a couple of weeks ago when it was a 14-16C day and there was a fair wind. Lassie was away to stand outdoors for a couple hours, certainly not cold enough for her Kensington.

Thanks. I'm looking at the Expedition, but I'm gonna try them on in-store somewhere first, get the size correct then buy on eBay and then I intend to use a coating called Liquiproof to waterproof the jacket. I might just buy another Citadel and do that. I know ill loose warranty by applying the coating, but if I'm buying without warranty, whats the loss apart from being able to wear it on a cold rainy and probably windy day???

Just a straw poll, how many Canada Goose/Nobis/Other Manufacturer jackets does every body have?

http://www.strawpoll.me/11161919
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21357 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…

Thanks.
I'd say a Large. The Expedition, fits bigger than the Citadel. I'm not sure how much bigger though but you should be OK with a large. Also depends how you like your jacket to fit. Some like a fitted look, some don't mind some extra room, in that case, an XL is fine, but may be a tad too big.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)