Fashion & Beauty

Outerwear Jacket Reviews (CG, CMFR, MK, Nobis, etc)

Dec 10, 2017
17 posts
11 upvotes
Hey Tahir...have been wearing Quartz Co almost exclusively since I got introduced to the Brand while living in Japan funny enough 3 years ago....I ended up doing some editorial work with them a few months after when they were going thru a major re-brand and re-design of the collection...just picked up this piece last week in fact....

https://www.altitude-sports.com/product ... -qtc-39412

Its my third coat from them and I haven't had a single issue with any of their coats....their coats are all Made in Canada with premium fabrics, Life Time Guarantee, Machine Washable, Wind resistant, Water Proof/Resistant, DWR repellant, -30 TEI, White Canadian Duck Down 650 Fill power, YKK Zippers....the fabrics they are using on the both their core Parka collection and Edition collection are some of the best in the market imho....sometimes you don't get what you pay for when shopping for major Brands, as was the case with my Nobis jacket.....
Dec 19, 2016
227 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Recently just purchased a Parajumpers Gobi Base. The difference between the Gobi Base vs Gobi only appears to be the fur hood. Since I already have 3 Canada Goose winter coats I was looking for something just a bit different and felt the Gobi base would fill this void in my wardrobe. I vaguely remembered reviews of Canada Goose vs all others when purchasing my first Canada Goose coat almost 10 years ago and how most didn't quite measure up for various reasons but this time my reasons for doing so were different and I figure it might be time to choose from some one else as well. The main differences typically were warmth or quality, and sometimes both.

To this point extreme warmth was no longer the priority as much as having something for cold weather with a bit of a different look. As luck would have it I actually came across an opportunity to get a Parajumpers Gobi Base even before deciding on this model for a few hundreds dollars less than MSRP. That's when I started to research this a bit further and determined it would be the jacket that not only meet my desire to get something different but fill a hole in my winter wardrobe. For a casual coat it might be a stretch to call it stylish but it definitely has a bit more going for it in this department when compared to my Canada Goose Borden Jacket. Regardless it is a Bomber and Bombers to be honest are not designed for the coldest of weather but as I said I already have that covered. Anyway it makes perfect sense that a Coat with a down liner is not going to be as warm as a coat which has the down in the actual coat. Also the arm cuffs and waist are not designed to be as tight fitting thus these are not designed for extreme cold weather. Anyway as I said that was not the purpose so the fact that it does not and it actually has a removable liner makes it something I can wear in even warmer weather much better for me.

When it came to quality I had remembered some of these brands not being made in Canada so this was a concern for me. Unfortunately since buying my first Canada Goose coat not even all of their coats are made in Canada. Typically when you think China or third world quality is not the first thing that comes to mind but then again this typically has more to do with cost and material used to begin with. However from the little I could find quality was echoed over and over again when the Parajumpers brand was mentioned. The other was that it just wasn't as warm as a Canada Goose coat but that not being my criteria it actually made it more attractive to me for my individual needs. All I can say from what I have seen the coat feels and looks like a very well made product. In fact I think the shell might turn out to be a more durable shell than what the Canada Goose uses.

As far as sizing goes I wear the same size in this that I wear in my Canada Goose Bomber Jacket. It's a bit slimmer fit and overall it is a bit slimmer jacket as if for nothing else the down filling is a liner and not the coat. In regards to how warm it is I can only say I have worn it twice now in temperatures of Windchill above 20 degree Fahrenheit getting in and out of the car and it worked plenty fine for me.

Sorry to see this thread not being so popular of late as it's pretty helpful when determining which winter coats to get. Being from the states the weather may not be as severe but it's always nice to have a good warm winter coat when it does get a bit colder.
Images
  • Parajumpers Gobi Base.JPG
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
3036 posts
1205 upvotes
slim1014 wrote: Hey Tahir...have been wearing Quartz Co almost exclusively since I got introduced to the Brand while living in Japan funny enough 3 years ago....I ended up doing some editorial work with them a few months after when they were going thru a major re-brand and re-design of the collection...just picked up this piece last week in fact....

Its my third coat from them and I haven't had a single issue with any of their coats....their coats are all Made in Canada with premium fabrics, Life Time Guarantee, Machine Washable, Wind resistant, Water Proof/Resistant, DWR repellant, -30 TEI, White Canadian Duck Down 650 Fill power, YKK Zippers....the fabrics they are using on the both their core Parka collection and Edition collection are some of the best in the market imho....sometimes you don't get what you pay for when shopping for major Brands, as was the case with my Nobis jacket.....
Great brand. I have a parka and also a down jacket from them for a few years now. Both still look brand new and warm. A steal for a made in Canada parka when on sale at the last hunt.
Sep 4, 2007
765 posts
335 upvotes
slim1014 wrote: Hey Tahir...have been wearing Quartz Co almost exclusively since I got introduced to the Brand while living in Japan funny enough 3 years ago....I ended up doing some editorial work with them a few months after when they were going thru a major re-brand and re-design of the collection...just picked up this piece last week in fact....

I have the Quartz Belfort parka which is very comparable in design to my CG Langford. The outer material and DWR coating used by Quartz is superior to what CG uses. Their material retains the colour unlike CG's which fades along the edges in a very short time and potentially around the back and forearms in some cases. The cuffs on Quartz coats also don't pill like CG cuffs.

The downside of Quartz is with some of the design elements, at least with the Belfort, like ridiculously high chest pockets and very shallow hoods. Their slim fit is also not slim at all compared to CG unless something has changed recently. Fur trim for those who care is embarrassingly small. I ended up removing mine because it looked so cheap.

Overall, I think Quartz is great value for the money when on sale which is often and CG could learn a lesson from them when choosing high quality, long lasting materials instead of the cheap fast wearing/fading garbage they've been using.
Feb 5, 2017
347 posts
371 upvotes
I have an Arc’teryx Thorsen, noticed recently that I start to get cold around -10C with that jacket even with a base layer + sweater on. Are CG jackets warmer? Looking at maybe Chateau/Langford. Thought Thorsen was suppose to be the warmest Arc’teryx jacket, kinda disappointed
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
brickpreviews wrote: I have an Arc’teryx Thorsen, noticed recently that I start to get cold around -10C with that jacket even with a base layer + sweater on. Are CG jackets warmer? Looking at maybe Chateau/Langford. Thought Thorsen was suppose to be the warmest Arc’teryx jacket, kinda disappointed
I have an Arcturus insulated jacket. Can’t remember the name but it was supposed to be the warmest or one of their warmest jackets. It simply didn’t keep me warm enough so I went back and got a goose and have not looked back. Love how lightweight and waterproof thr archery’s jacket is but just not warm enough. I felt it in the arms especially.

I got the Langford. I used to have the Constance and expedition. Constable was not warm. Expedition was ridiculously warm. Langford is just right.
Feb 5, 2006
214 posts
68 upvotes
Both Chateau and Langford have the same enduring rating of -15°C to -25°C.
The expedition is -30 and below.
It depends on where you live. I live in GTA and Chateau is sufficient.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1982 posts
1028 upvotes
Vancouver
https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/men ... 2344252_01
Got this jacket in green a few years ago. Is pretty good for winter. Not the warmest but enough. Only issue I have is that since it is not down and use Primaloft it gets really hot when indoor and a bit on the heavy side. But otherwise is not bad since I got it on sale for 179 I think. Is water and wind prof perfect for Vancouver weather.

https://www.uniqlo.com/ca/en/products/E ... Code=COL55
Mine was also from a few years ago when I got on clearence for $49. Very good for its value. I use it mostly from Oct to Nov and then from Feb to March. Is super light and warm enough. It can take some light right not not heavy rain. Not very wind prof as the shell is a soft shell but can't expect too much since is a ultra light design. Used it since 2017 or 2018? I like the fact they didn't have those sewing lines in between the down instead is just press really hard. I mean if it break I will buy another when is on sale for $49. For that price is a really good deal. Is still going strong.

https://www.uniqlo.com/ca/en/products/E ... Code=COL09
I got this again on sale for like for $120? I use this jacket when it gets colder. Not to say. Really warm and made out of down. Pretty sure the one they sell is the newer version.

https://www.uniqlo.com/ca/en/products/E ... Code=COL69
I had this one as well...... Use it when is really cold. Is really light I used it when I visit beijing before and it keeps me warm. Only issue I have is that it kinds of cover my bum half way but not all the way so it makes it woerd when i am sitting.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens- ... tionId=16Y
I have one that's a few years ago and I don't recommend it. Is too heavy and is very little way for heat to escape so I ended up sweating when I go indoor. Also the quality have gone way downhill when I compare to the North face I had since I was 20 to 30. That North Face I got is still in great condition and is not hot at all indoor. I think their ThermoBall technology is just not that great. The zippers is made of plastic vs steel on my old one. I mean if you use it mostly out door than this is a great jacket since is both wind and water prof. For that price there are better jackets out there. I plan to go snowbarding with it but ever since I injury ankle 10 years ago I have no been able to go.

https://www.hollisterco.com/shop/ca/p/f ... eout=prod1
The one I have is 550 down fill. On sale for $70 i think. Is not bad a bit on the cheap made side but it looks pretty good. Is also a bit on the heavy side. It kinda of water reistant and seems pretty warm during windy days. Wish it would be better made and it looks good. Is still better than my North Face though and that's sad.

https://www.eddiebauer.ca/p/10112146/me ... igo&size=M
Just order this online for $209 a few days ago. Most likely going to return it. But have to try it first. Overall it looks nice from the pics

https://www.eddiebauer.ca/p/38832284/me ... ern&size=M
Got this for my dad last year. He loved it. Super warm and comfy perfect for him since he mainly drive to the market so doesn't need anything that's super water and wind prof just something warm. Is also very light which he likes. ALSO LOOKS very good on him.

Honestly I have too many jackets but some I plan to leave them in my wife apartment Beijing when we are able to visit so I don't have to keep carrying a bunch of stuff everytime we go back. So it should even out.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5654 posts
2168 upvotes
I was debating to buy a new winter jacket. I briefly looked at other brands and my heart says Canada Goose or Nobis.

Question about pricing...on a Nobis jacket, I saw sticker price of $995 pre tax. It was the longer one with a fur hood. I forgot the name of it. It was at a Chinese place and the sales person seems willing to negotiate. What price do you think I can offer? Or are there better places to buy then from a physical store?

What about Canada Goose? I know they have a store at Yorkdale. But if it's inside a big mall, I'm guessing there's no room to negotiate?

Last time I bought a winter jacket was like 8 years ago. It's getting a bit worn out. It was a boxing day special. Never had to think about haggling for a jacket in my life so I don't have the reference point or experience. Any tips?
Dec 19, 2016
227 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Purchased a Moose Knuckles Gold Ballistic Bomber last winter and a Moose Knuckles Stirling Parka just a few days ago. A few thoughts when comparing them to the Canada Goose coats that I own.

Although both brands can be difficult at times to find on sale most of my coats have been purchased on sale. I personally purchased a Moose Knuckles Stirling Parka a few days ago for 50% off the normal price. I purchased a Canada Goose Expedition for about $400 less because a retailer was going to no longer carry Canada Goose Coats in 2018. So there are opportunities that present themselves to do this. eBay is an option but there are pitfalls and potential drawbacks from doing this. One because Canada Goose is probably one of the most counterfeited coats one can buy and a counterfeited coat isn't something you really want. That and many manufacturers don't always honor their warranty if it wasn't purchased from an authorized retailer.

I personally own a number of Canada Goose Coats because this was the first brand of luxury winter coats I bought and I really liked them. However I also have a Parajumper and now I have two Moose Knuckles coats. I have yet to sell any of my coats but everything I have seen and heard Cannada Goose coats tend to do a real good job of retaining their value. This the world recognized in demand brand. Heck they even buy back your old coat at this point and resell them under their Generation line. They give you a coupon you can use to buy a new Canada Goose Coat. Given the cost of a new Canada Goose coat for me that simply would make no sense. I figure I probably could get about $800 for example for my real good condition Expedition Coat which is what I original spent for it and then it would cost me an additional $950 to replace it. If I needed to get a different model maybe, but still I would have to cough up so much more money for a newer coat given what they now cost. Besides I just got a new Moose Knuckles Stirling Parka for a little less than $700 that cost $1295.

When it comes to comparing Canada Goose coats and Moose Knuckles coats I would say the following. Moose Knuckles by all things I have heard does not retain its value so well. However if you take a good look around most of the reviews when it comes to Moose Knuckles all comment on what an excellent build quality these coats have. Check out a few comparisons on YouTube and most times whenever Moose Knuckles is reviewed there are favorable comments on its materials and build quality. This is simply the case because Moose Knuckles uses better material than Canada Goose does and this includes the cuffs they use. Canada Goose Artic Tech material is just not as substantial nor as durable as the material Moose Knuckles uses. Moose Knuckles although not waterproof but more so because the fur trim cannot be detached from its hood although the hood can be removed, and their zippers are exposed. But water is not going to seep into their coat and get the down wet like a Canada Goose does. To be upfront I've not had that issue with my Canada Goose coats simply because the cold weather I wear my coat in hasn't been wet weather. Also Canada Goose's Artic Tech was built in the 1980s to survive expeditions in the cold weather and not to survive being worn in malls. Rubbing up against things to include itself causes wear on that material and holes in the sleeves besides a whiteish or greyish discoloration occurs on these coats. Maybe the worst of it is that it occurs in-between the sleeve and body of the coat and your not even aware it's occurring. Kind of good you can't see it but overall not a good thing because eventually that discoloration will become holes. Either way not much you can do about it. Just look at the coats in their Generation line and the comments on the discoloration of the best used conditioned coats they sell. Moose Knuckles on the other hand the majority of reviews comments on how nice they are constructed and how much more substantial the material is. Granted you don't have the forums dedicated to Canada Goose and that aren't as many out there so you don't hear much about long term use as often. But anytime I have it's that they are just as nice after all the use than they were when new. Maybe another luxury brand uses better material but of those reviews I've seen no one says the same thing about any other luxury brand I've seen them compared against. I would say the Stirling Parka probably is an even heavier coat than the Expedition and and that maybe in large part to the material they use and maybe not the down. Don't get me wrong I have heard of other coats designed for extreme cold weather that cost north of $1000 which use even more indestructible material but these are less luxury and more duty driven brands. The one advantage Artic Tech has though is that material even in the bitter cold bends more easily, those with more substantial material typically get more stiff.

As with Canada Goose one of the main drawbacks with Moose Knuckles is it's branding. in Canada Gooses case it's that everyone has one, in Moose Knuckles case it's what Moose Knuckles stands for and looks like and many can't get over that. Moose Knuckles is also a slim fitting coat which appeals to many given the what many Down Coats are, but it is slim fitting and that also may not work for some people. I typically wear an XL in almost all of my coats. I even do that on my Moose Knuckles Gold Ballistic Bomber although that is snug, however I wear a XXL in my Moose Knuckles Stirling Parka.

These coats keep you warm and they work. But down coats also don't work so well when they are used in warmer weather than what they were designed to be used in. If you only have one make sure it's designed for the weather your going to be using it in. Layering is always possible if the coat is big enough but Bombers aren't designed for extreme cold weather either. Canada Goose excels at establishing a temperature range their coats work in. Moose Knuckle rates their coats as well just not as specific.
Moose Knuckles Gold Balistic Bomber.jpg
Moose Knuckles Stirling Parka.jpg