Fashion & Apparel

Outerwear Jacket Reviews (CG, CMFR, MK, Nobis, etc)

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2017 12:41 pm
Newbie
Nov 9, 2015
14 posts
Scotland
Down Jacket Season is now open. Or at least it has been for a couple weeks here for the extremely cold blooded who have been wearing their CGs for the first time.

I would like to know, for a 6 foot tall 44 inch chest, 225lb guy, what would be the best size for a Canada Goose Expedition Parka? I can fit a large (just) in the Citadel and Large in the Chilliwack. I want to be able to layer up a little and not just wear a t-shirt under it, id like to be able to wear a hoody or zipper under it and feel toasty warm with the jacket open.

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 20, 2012
9848 posts
864 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
DownJacketFan wrote:
Aug 30th, 2016 2:04 pm
Down Jacket Season is now open. Or at least it has been for a couple weeks here for the extremely cold blooded who have been wearing their CGs for the first time.

I would like to know, for a 6 foot tall 44 inch chest, 225lb guy, what would be the best size for a Canada Goose Expedition Parka? I can fit a large (just) in the Citadel and Large in the Chilliwack. I want to be able to layer up a little and not just wear a t-shirt under it, id like to be able to wear a hoody or zipper under it and feel toasty warm with the jacket open.

Thanks.
ORLY? Peeps are wearing CG's in scotland?? It's 18C there... Astonished Face

CG's TEI 5 jackets tend to be oversized for purpose of layering. TE5 models are built to layer at your current size accommodating several mid-layers. If you dont intend to layer (ie. walk around the city and not the arctic) then you might wanna more snug fit. If you do intend to layer then get a looser fit. For example, if you are currently an XL and intend to layer up for the arctic then stick with an XL. If you are not a north pole trekker, then downsize 1-2 sizes to see fit. Best bet, try them on in-person as everyone's body shape is different.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Newbie
Nov 9, 2015
14 posts
Scotland
aznnorth wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 8:52 am
DownJacketFan wrote:
Aug 30th, 2016 2:04 pm
Down Jacket Season is now open. Or at least it has been for a couple weeks here for the extremely cold blooded who have been wearing their CGs for the first time.

I would like to know, for a 6 foot tall 44 inch chest, 225lb guy, what would be the best size for a Canada Goose Expedition Parka? I can fit a large (just) in the Citadel and Large in the Chilliwack. I want to be able to layer up a little and not just wear a t-shirt under it, id like to be able to wear a hoody or zipper under it and feel toasty warm with the jacket open.

Thanks.
ORLY? Peeps are wearing CG's in scotland?? It's 18C there... Astonished Face

CG's TEI 5 jackets tend to be oversized for purpose of layering. TE5 models are built to layer at your current size accommodating several mid-layers. If you dont intend to layer (ie. walk around the city and not the arctic) then you might wanna more snug fit. If you do intend to layer then get a looser fit. For example, if you are currently an XL and intend to layer up for the arctic then stick with an XL. If you are not a north pole trekker, then downsize 1-2 sizes to see fit. Best bet, try them on in-person as everyone's body shape is different.
It was a couple of weeks ago when it was a 14-16C day and there was a fair wind. Lassie was away to stand outdoors for a couple hours, certainly not cold enough for her Kensington.

Thanks. I'm looking at the Expedition, but I'm gonna try them on in-store somewhere first, get the size correct then buy on eBay and then I intend to use a coating called Liquiproof to waterproof the jacket. I might just buy another Citadel and do that. I know ill loose warranty by applying the coating, but if I'm buying without warranty, whats the loss apart from being able to wear it on a cold rainy and probably windy day???

Just a straw poll, how many Canada Goose/Nobis/Other Manufacturer jackets does every body have?

http://www.strawpoll.me/11161919
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4375 posts
630 upvotes
DownJacketFan wrote:
Aug 30th, 2016 2:04 pm
Down Jacket Season is now open. Or at least it has been for a couple weeks here for the extremely cold blooded who have been wearing their CGs for the first time.

I would like to know, for a 6 foot tall 44 inch chest, 225lb guy, what would be the best size for a Canada Goose Expedition Parka? I can fit a large (just) in the Citadel and Large in the Chilliwack. I want to be able to layer up a little and not just wear a t-shirt under it, id like to be able to wear a hoody or zipper under it and feel toasty warm with the jacket open.

Thanks.
I'd say a Large. The Expedition, fits bigger than the Citadel. I'm not sure how much bigger though but you should be OK with a large. Also depends how you like your jacket to fit. Some like a fitted look, some don't mind some extra room, in that case, an XL is fine, but may be a tad too big.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 20, 2012
9848 posts
864 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
DownJacketFan wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 2:59 pm
aznnorth wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 8:52 am
DownJacketFan wrote:
Aug 30th, 2016 2:04 pm
Down Jacket Season is now open. Or at least it has been for a couple weeks here for the extremely cold blooded who have been wearing their CGs for the first time.

I would like to know, for a 6 foot tall 44 inch chest, 225lb guy, what would be the best size for a Canada Goose Expedition Parka? I can fit a large (just) in the Citadel and Large in the Chilliwack. I want to be able to layer up a little and not just wear a t-shirt under it, id like to be able to wear a hoody or zipper under it and feel toasty warm with the jacket open.

Thanks.
ORLY? Peeps are wearing CG's in scotland?? It's 18C there... Astonished Face

CG's TEI 5 jackets tend to be oversized for purpose of layering. TE5 models are built to layer at your current size accommodating several mid-layers. If you dont intend to layer (ie. walk around the city and not the arctic) then you might wanna more snug fit. If you do intend to layer then get a looser fit. For example, if you are currently an XL and intend to layer up for the arctic then stick with an XL. If you are not a north pole trekker, then downsize 1-2 sizes to see fit. Best bet, try them on in-person as everyone's body shape is different.
Just a straw poll, how many Canada Goose/Nobis/Other Manufacturer jackets does every body have?

http://www.strawpoll.me/11161919
CG's are way overpriced and overrated... the quality has been declining last coupla years. Warranty claims have shot up by percentage. ALL these winter jackets just wanna milk the new gen's money. They change nothing yet still asking for 10-15%+ increases year on year. Take the expedition for example. I recall seeing it in 2014 for $745 cad, now --> $1000 cad with less quality and poorer workmanship. A huuuge LOLz. The outershell is quite noticeable compared to outershells back 3-4 yrs ago. The cheapening effect is quite common these days...
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Newbie
Nov 9, 2015
14 posts
Scotland
aznnorth wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 3:06 pm

CG's are way overpriced and overrated... the quality has been declining last coupla years. Warranty claims have shot up by percentage. ALL these winter jackets just wanna milk the new gen's money. They change nothing yet still asking for 10-15%+ increases year on year. Take the expedition for example. I recall seeing it in 2014 for $745 cad, now --> $1000 cad with less quality and poorer workmanship. A huuuge LOLz. The outershell is quite noticeable compared to outershells back 3-4 yrs ago. The cheapening effect is quite common these days...
Ive seen that on the bog standard Chilliwack, I got one in 2010 and it was a great bit of kit, lacking in functionality but great coat. Then I got one on the cheap last year and it was poorer in quality, the shell was poorer and the pockets were shallower and now non colour matching for the internal colour of them. Thank god I bought that one with the intention on flipping it later on.

Ive since got a Nobis Cartel for my down bomber and its much better to a Chilliwack, more functions and better quality in my opinion, and lets face it, waterproof. Cant wait to wear this coat for the first time.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
408 upvotes
Concord, ON
DownJacketFan wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 3:20 pm
Ive seen that on the bog standard Chilliwack, I got one in 2010 and it was a great bit of kit, lacking in functionality but great coat. Then I got one on the cheap last year and it was poorer in quality, the shell was poorer and the pockets were shallower and now non colour matching for the internal colour of them. Thank god I bought that one with the intention on flipping it later on.

Ive since got a Nobis Cartel for my down bomber and its much better to a Chilliwack, more functions and better quality in my opinion, and lets face it, waterproof. Cant wait to wear this coat for the first time.
Nobis is made in China so that's why it's higher quality and better value than made in Canada cg
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 20, 2012
9848 posts
864 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
DownJacketFan wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 3:20 pm
aznnorth wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 3:06 pm

CG's are way overpriced and overrated... the quality has been declining last coupla years. Warranty claims have shot up by percentage. ALL these winter jackets just wanna milk the new gen's money. They change nothing yet still asking for 10-15%+ increases year on year. Take the expedition for example. I recall seeing it in 2014 for $745 cad, now --> $1000 cad with less quality and poorer workmanship. A huuuge LOLz. The outershell is quite noticeable compared to outershells back 3-4 yrs ago. The cheapening effect is quite common these days...
Ive seen that on the bog standard Chilliwack, I got one in 2010 and it was a great bit of kit, lacking in functionality but great coat. Then I got one on the cheap last year and it was poorer in quality, the shell was poorer and the pockets were shallower and now non colour matching for the internal colour of them. Thank god I bought that one with the intention on flipping it later on.

Ive since got a Nobis Cartel for my down bomber and its much better to a Chilliwack, more functions and better quality in my opinion, and lets face it, waterproof. Cant wait to wear this coat for the first time.
Nobis is the same category... they have their own issues esp. with their wool blend outershells that tend to break at seams and pill like crazy (esp at the cuffs) over time. Not an expert on Cartel but any shell by Nobis with wool blend I'd stay away from. You will see threads every season on here about peeps buying $800-$1000 cad jackets and shizz happens in 3 mos time. Whether from wear and tear, warranty issues, accidents, blah.. blah... let the crying begin, lol. Besides, Nobis will tell you themselves their jackets are for city wear (aka for fashion and look) not expedition grade outershells so dont start scraping and leaning against rough surfaces like concrete, thorny bushes, asphalt, etc., etc.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4375 posts
630 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 3:28 pm
DownJacketFan wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 3:20 pm
aznnorth wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 3:06 pm

CG's are way overpriced and overrated... the quality has been declining last coupla years. Warranty claims have shot up by percentage. ALL these winter jackets just wanna milk the new gen's money. They change nothing yet still asking for 10-15%+ increases year on year. Take the expedition for example. I recall seeing it in 2014 for $745 cad, now --> $1000 cad with less quality and poorer workmanship. A huuuge LOLz. The outershell is quite noticeable compared to outershells back 3-4 yrs ago. The cheapening effect is quite common these days...
Ive seen that on the bog standard Chilliwack, I got one in 2010 and it was a great bit of kit, lacking in functionality but great coat. Then I got one on the cheap last year and it was poorer in quality, the shell was poorer and the pockets were shallower and now non colour matching for the internal colour of them. Thank god I bought that one with the intention on flipping it later on.

Ive since got a Nobis Cartel for my down bomber and its much better to a Chilliwack, more functions and better quality in my opinion, and lets face it, waterproof. Cant wait to wear this coat for the first time.
Nobis is the same category... they have their own issues esp. with their wool blend outershells that tend to break at seams and pill like crazy (esp at the cuffs) over time. Not an expert on Cartel but any shell by Nobis with wool blend I'd stay away from. You will see threads every season on here about peeps buying $800-$1000 cad jackets and shizz happens in 3 mos time. Whether from wear and tear, warranty issues, accidents, blah.. blah... let the crying begin, lol. Besides, Nobis will tell you themselves their jackets are for city wear (aka for fashion and look) not expedition grade outershells so dont start scraping and leaning against rough surfaces like concrete, thorny bushes, asphalt, etc., etc.
Agreed, Nobis is no better, but they're new in the game so they may iron everything out. I'll probably wait for a sale to grab a less popular jacket like CMFR or the other lesser known Canadian brands for $3-400 and be happy with it. My Arcteryx is good, I just need a coat for those really cold days.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
2057 posts
253 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 3:28 pm
Nobis is the same category... they have their own issues esp. with their wool blend outershells that tend to break at seams and pill like crazy (esp at the cuffs) over time. Not an expert on Cartel but any shell by Nobis with wool blend I'd stay away from.
I'm trying to do some pre-purchase research. Can you link to where you saw these problems being mentioned? Haven't been able to turn up any discussion through Google, and RFD only has like 2 mentions of problems with Nobis' wool that I can find.
Newbie
Oct 21, 2016
42 posts
11 upvotes
so quality is going down across the board seems like? are there any brands still maintaining top notch quality in a down-insulated winter jacket? what are your guys' recommendations if i'm looking for a jacket to treat more as an "investment", like you used to be able to with CG parkas in the good old days?
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4375 posts
630 upvotes
What are your thoughts on OSC Cross? I can't seem to find them anywhere. Even the stores that claim to carry it don't seem to have any save for a few of em.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4375 posts
630 upvotes
csdesign wrote:
Nov 20th, 2016 3:16 pm
so quality is going down across the board seems like? are there any brands still maintaining top notch quality in a down-insulated winter jacket? what are your guys' recommendations if i'm looking for a jacket to treat more as an "investment", like you used to be able to with CG parkas in the good old days?
Arcteryx is pretty good.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 20, 2012
9848 posts
864 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
JayLove06 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2016 7:27 am
What are your thoughts on OSC Cross? I can't seem to find them anywhere. Even the stores that claim to carry it don't seem to have any save for a few of em.
The 2 OSC outlets oft talked about - Pacific Down City and Oriental centre. I seen them there. They carry OSC regular line, OSC Cross and Canadian spirit.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)