Fashion & Apparel

Outerwear Jacket Reviews (CG, CMFR, MK, Nobis, etc)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 11:33 am
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10011 posts
905 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
JayLove06 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2016 7:29 am
Arcteryx is pretty good.
Agreed. Arcteryx keeps testing and improving new materials and products every year. I find their stuff gets better with each year's collection unlike CG. Now their Alpha and Beta SV models come with Np100-x which is really tough and durable outershell goretex pro material. CG's new improvements?? Huge price increases. *welp*
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Nov 8, 2004
4 posts
Can anyone comment on the warmth of Nobis mid weight jackets? Specifically interested in the Rosco.
Last edited by jkipps on Nov 21st, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7964 posts
2804 upvotes
Toronto
I rolled out my CG today, kept me warm all morning!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Oct 14, 2010
538 posts
72 upvotes
Wore a Nobis jacket (Stanford?). Fit me like a glove. Saw price. Put it down.
Mar 5, 2008
343 posts
32 upvotes
Anyone know the sizing on cartels?
I wear a small in the Yatesy which fits amazing but I was thinking I wouldn't mind if the cartel bomber would fit a touch bigger
Should I go up to a M or should I just stick with a small?
Oct 21, 2016
42 posts
11 upvotes
Garest wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2016 7:04 am
I wear a small in the Yatesy which fits amazing but I was thinking I wouldn't mind if the cartel bomber would fit a touch bigger
what are your measurements, out of curiosity?
Mar 5, 2008
343 posts
32 upvotes
csdesign wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2016 12:15 pm
what are your measurements, out of curiosity?
5'7''
160lbs

short legs, short torso, long arms
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44277 posts
3276 upvotes
Toronto
Garest wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2016 9:16 pm
5'7''
160lbs

I'd say a small. You want a snug fit on a winter jacket as the down will absorb your heat and distribute it evenly throughout. To each their own though, not everyone likes the same fit and it gives you a bit of room to layer up if needed with a medium.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44277 posts
3276 upvotes
Toronto
jkipps wrote:
Nov 21st, 2016 2:13 pm
Can anyone comment on the warmth of Nobis mid weight jackets? Specifically interested in the Rosco.
The Rosco is more of a fall/mid winter type of jacket and it reflects the pricing differential between a mid weight and core jacket. You would definitely need to layer to get through the entire winter at -20C weather.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10011 posts
905 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Garest wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2016 7:04 am
Garest wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2016 9:16 pm
5'7''
160lbs

Best thing is just go to a store that sells Nobis or the flag ship store on Queen St West/Spadina if you live in TO. Try on all the jackets and decide on model and sizing. Best to do that instead of guessing when online ordering or buying off a font on RFD. Every1 has different body type and therefore, fitting. I was considering Nobis last year but decided against it because Nobis is a fashion coat not a functional brand. The outershell is a bit thin and not as durable as say it's cousin CG or more functional brands like arcteryx, Fjallraven, burton, and others. If you're looking for an urban coat and careful with the shell as to what it rubs upon then Nobis is good. But if you're looking for a functional brand there are others.

Nobis Flagship Store - Toronto
360 Queen St W, Toronto, ON M5V 2A2
Tel: 416.979.8886
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2006
1369 posts
143 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone comment on the Canada goose berwick, Harry rosen exclusive? I bought a mackage dixon but not really feeling it... Thinking about exchanging it for a berwick.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10011 posts
905 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
vancityguy wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 11:32 pm
Anyone comment on the Canada goose berwick, Harry rosen exclusive? I bought a mackage dixon but not really feeling it... Thinking about exchanging it for a berwick.
Is that a discontinued model? Doesnt show up on current CG site.

Edit: Berwick is exclusive to HR only.

My opinion? With CG, the TEI index is most important for warmth. Everything else about their bombers are pretty much identical. If it's TEI 3, it's no better than a chilliwack - you save $50 on the price lol. $750 vs $800 cad. Maybe they give a better blended shell but that's about it.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2006
1369 posts
143 upvotes
Vancouver
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 28th, 2016 1:18 pm
Is that a discontinued model? Doesnt show up on current CG site.

Edit: Berwick is exclusive to HR only.

My opinion? With CG, the TEI index is most important for warmth. Everything else about their bombers are pretty much identical. If it's TEI 3, it's no better than a chilliwack - you save $50 on the price lol. $750 vs $800 cad. Maybe they give a better blended shell but that's about it.
It is tei3 but it is supposed to be more trimmed down and slim fitting than the Chilliwack while maintaining the same warmth etc.  It also has removable fur and hood.
May 3, 2011
53 posts
2 upvotes
I recently bought a a Quartz Co. (formerly Quartz Nature?) Elia jacket from altitude sports during their black friday sale. I ordered an xs (I'm around 5'0" and 105lbs) and the fit is pretty tight so I'm going to return it and maybe order a size small. I've never owned a down jacket before, so I'm not sure how good of a review I can give... But the jacket is a lot lighter than it looks which was what I was looking for because my current jacket is super heavy and gives me tired shoulders lol. I emailed them prior to buying and they said it was 1.1kg/~2.5lbs. The jacket is pretty simple, seems well constructed, and looks nice on the body. I'm pretty short but the jacket still looks alright on me around mid thigh. I can't say anything about warmth since I only tried it on a couple of times before deciding to return it, but it seems pretty warm since I started sweating from just trying it on lol. I expected a pretty puffy jacket because of the down... but it's actually quite slim. The fur sheds a lot, but I'm not sure if it's because I've never owned real fur, so I don't know if it's normal. And the fur also has like 2 sides that have longer furs sticking out?? Not sure if it's normal either lol. (Also greatly appreciate Canada Post for wrecking the package and losing the return label and original bag it came in......)
Sorry for the bad quality pics lol
Nov 9, 2015
14 posts
Scotland
So I've now spent three to four good days in my Nobis Cartel. And this is the ultimate bomber for anyone out there. God it is warm, worn it in anywhere from -5 to +7c (That's cold here BTW) and it keeps me toasty, and as for managing my cooling, Pit Zips are the best thing since sliced bread or tinned spam, keep you cool but also manage to keep you warm too. The Magnetic closures are a smart feature too as they look clean and tidy and no crappy Velcro or Loopy button closures (Like CG Chateau) to deal with, I don't mind snap buttons on a coat. The pockets are ample for me if in not carrying too much, however the front pockets id have liked to be a bit more like the CG Expedition/citadel with zippered fleece ones behind to give a little more usability. A couple of last things id have liked is a zippered lower inner pocket as id just feel a little safer and id have liked a sleve pocket like what the CG Chilliwack has on it too. And in comparison to the Chilliwack, this is more understated and classier than the CG any day, no in your face red/white/blue disc branding, more subtle on that and I like it. A final bit of praise goes to the fleece lining on the neck, its a thing of brilliance, soft and not fuzzy/lumpy like the chin piece on a CG Citadel for instance. I have not used the hood yet so cant attest to how it works or functions, that day will come.

Might look into a Yatesy or a Expedition soon, on the latter I missed out on a Expedition in a Black Friday Weekend sale for £490 with around 40% off as the place that is selling them is no longer gonna be stocking CG for some reason. They had two Large in White and Black and could easily have taken both and sold both in a years time for a tidy profit with the way the crazy pricing strategy is going these days.

CG seems to be getting into the mainstream now here, I counted 10 on one day in Glasgow, 2 fake though with women winning the real CG war 6 to 2. One Montebello, a Whistler a Solaris and the Chelsea having three wearers, as they look like the standard cheap Zara issue and are warm and functional. The fake ones look seriously crap, they stand out a mile off with their PBI logo on a coat that just isn't the PBI Blue that CG use on all their PBIs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)