Fashion & Apparel

Outerwear Jacket Reviews (CG, CMFR, MK, Nobis, etc)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2017 12:41 pm
Jul 25, 2015
216 posts
51 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
helloo wrote:
Nov 30th, 2016 11:11 am
I recently bought a a Quartz Co. (formerly Quartz Nature?) Elia jacket from altitude sports during their black friday sale. I ordered an xs (I'm around 5'0" and 105lbs) and the fit is pretty tight so I'm going to return it and maybe order a size small. I've never owned a down jacket before, so I'm not sure how good of a review I can give... But the jacket is a lot lighter than it looks which was what I was looking for because my current jacket is super heavy and gives me tired shoulders lol. I emailed them prior to buying and they said it was 1.1kg/~2.5lbs. The jacket is pretty simple, seems well constructed, and looks nice on the body. I'm pretty short but the jacket still looks alright on me around mid thigh. I can't say anything about warmth since I only tried it on a couple of times before deciding to return it, but it seems pretty warm since I started sweating from just trying it on lol. I expected a pretty puffy jacket because of the down... but it's actually quite slim. The fur sheds a lot, but I'm not sure if it's because I've never owned real fur, so I don't know if it's normal. And the fur also has like 2 sides that have longer furs sticking out?? Not sure if it's normal either lol. (Also greatly appreciate Canada Post for wrecking the package and losing the return label and original bag it came in......)
Sorry for the bad quality pics lol
I'm surprised its too tight for your figure.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10287 posts
1320 upvotes
City of Vancouver
helloo wrote:
I recently bought a a Quartz Co. (formerly Quartz Nature?) Elia jacket from altitude sports during their black friday sale. I ordered an xs (I'm around 5'0" and 105lbs) and the fit is pretty tight so I'm going to return it and maybe order a size small...
Sinasta wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 1:15 am
I'm surprised its too tight for your figure.
I'm 5'7". The Quartz Nature XS size fits me fine. There's a sizing chart on Altitude-Sports for the Quartz Co Elia coat. Maybe this coat's dimensions are an anomoly?
May 3, 2011
41 posts
1 upvote
Becks wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 3:18 pm
I'm 5'7". The Quartz Nature XS size fits me fine. There's a sizing chart on Altitude-Sports for the Quartz Co Elia coat. Maybe this coat's dimensions are an anomoly?
Yeah I went with the sizing chart on altitude sports, but I personally like a looser fit on coats in case I'm wearing something bulky underneath. The XS felt too snug for me at the waist part.
Jan 23, 2012
54 posts
1 upvote
SCARBOROUGH
Has anyone tried or heard reviews about the Mackage Men Ronin jacket?
Dec 15, 2016
1 posts
My Nobis Yatesy seems to have a very short hood. I sized down and got a small. Whenever I wear the hood, it feels like I am pushing the hood up and away from my shoulders. Anyone have experienced the same issue?
Aug 25, 2015
758 posts
149 upvotes
Montreal, QC
helloo wrote:
I recently bought a a Quartz Co. (formerly Quartz Nature?)
yes. quartz co is quartz nature. the difference in rebranding? quartz co fits tighter (is made slimmer) and also much pricier
Oct 23, 2016
3 posts
anyone have a canada goose maitland / mac millan trying to decide between the two, wondering about any pros / cons?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44038 posts
3215 upvotes
Toronto
TonyNYC wrote:
Dec 16th, 2016 11:35 am
My Nobis Yatesy seems to have a very short hood. I sized down and got a small. Whenever I wear the hood, it feels like I am pushing the hood up and away from my shoulders. Anyone have experienced the same issue?
If the zipper on the hood and the jacket are aligned when fully zipped then you got the right sized hood. If there is excess zipper then you may have gotten the wrong sized hood on the jacket.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
9532 posts
793 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
loserga wrote:
Dec 19th, 2016 10:33 pm
Anyone know the story behind CMFR changing their fill power ratings from 550+ to 620+: http://www.cmfrcanada.com/collections/mens

Also do they use the European or American rating system?
Contact them and find out. I would say american. European system is more accurate for duvets, comforters, sleeping bags.

US 2000 norm: cylinder diameter: 241 mm conditioning: steaming +3 to 5 days in a screen box compression cylinder: non-mechanized cylinder of 68,3 grams. Mass of the sample: 1 oz = 28,4 grams.

EN norm: cylinder diameter: (289 ± 1) mm, conditioning: tumble dry +2–5 days in a screen box compression cylinder: Lorch machine = mechanized cylinder weighing 94,25 grams, Mass of the sample:(20,0 ± 0,1) grams.

As for down loft changing to 620+ it could be just technology used to enhanced or puff up 550 down to retain greater loft. Patagonia was the first to do it approx 3 yrs ago where down was treated with solution to increase loft power given same amount (weight) of down. 620 is kind of a weird number. Hmm.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1995 posts
142 upvotes
Hello again in this thread. Are we still looking for reviews? I can review Moncler, my new addition, soon if any one wants the review.

Also bought SAM brand down coat at Holt Renfrew for my daughter. I hadn't heard of it before.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2523 posts
197 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
aznnorth wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2016 6:27 am
Contact them and find out. I would say american. European system is more accurate for duvets, comforters, sleeping bags.

US 2000 norm: cylinder diameter: 241 mm conditioning: steaming +3 to 5 days in a screen box compression cylinder: non-mechanized cylinder of 68,3 grams. Mass of the sample: 1 oz = 28,4 grams.

EN norm: cylinder diameter: (289 ± 1) mm, conditioning: tumble dry +2–5 days in a screen box compression cylinder: Lorch machine = mechanized cylinder weighing 94,25 grams, Mass of the sample:(20,0 ± 0,1) grams.

As for down loft changing to 620+ it could be just technology used to enhanced or puff up 550 down to retain greater loft. Patagonia was the first to do it approx 3 yrs ago where down was treated with solution to increase loft power given same amount (weight) of down. 620 is kind of a weird number. Hmm.
I messaged them on Facebook the day I posted this comment. They saw the message but have yet to reply.
Feb 7, 2013
8 posts
Mississauga
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new winter parka and have looked at CG, MK, nobis, etc. I really like the MK Stirling (Men's parka). Does anyone have experience with this jacket? I've never bought from MK before but it felt really warm and comfortable when I tried it on and I liked the styling. I found it at Holts, are there any other stores I should check out? How is the quality of a MK jacket? Thanks everyone!

Will
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel