Fashion & Apparel

Outerwear Jacket Reviews (CG, CMFR, MK, Nobis, etc)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 11:33 am
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44277 posts
3276 upvotes
Toronto
waleh1 wrote:
Dec 24th, 2016 12:50 pm
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new winter parka and have looked at CG, MK, nobis, etc. I really like the MK Stirling (Men's parka). Does anyone have experience with this jacket? I've never bought from MK before but it felt really warm and comfortable when I tried it on and I liked the styling. I found it at Holts, are there any other stores I should check out? How is the quality of a MK jacket? Thanks everyone!

Will
MK claims their jackets are made in Canada but there was some article stating otherwise and that it's made from some Asian country.
May 14, 2007
180 posts
17 upvotes
Bought two Arc'Teryx jackets for this winter, Kappa Hoody which has kept me warm to -10 with only a t-shirt under and the Ceres Parka for the stupid cold days. Supposedly it's just as warm as the CG Expedition Parka. Grabbed both on really good deals, paid less than $900 for both.
Oct 8, 2008
317 posts
71 upvotes
Hi Guys

Happy New Year. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but wanted your opinion. I'm wondering if any of the pros here have any reviews or seen this jacket previously. I bought it at the Bay on boxing day for half off MSRP of 300 for 150 which I found quite cheap. Canadian Coyote fur and down filled. Can't find much info on it online.

Here is a link for images from a site sharing image site. It is apparently designed by moose knuckles. Made in China. Maybe there's a moose knuckles jacket similar to this.

https://imgur.com/gallery/WIRdt

I wonder if it's the same jacket in this thread or different (pics no longer accessible). MSRP for this jacket was 600.

bay-company-adventurers-down-parka-210-70-off-1248682

Here is the link for the jacket I posted the pictures for on the Bay website

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... viewHeader
Aug 19, 2008
239 posts
48 upvotes
user007 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2017 3:49 pm
Hi Guys

Happy New Year. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but wanted your opinion. I'm wondering if any of the pros here have any reviews or seen this jacket previously. I bought it at the Bay on boxing day for half off MSRP of 300 for 150 which I found quite cheap. Canadian Coyote fur and down filled. Can't find much info on it online.

Here is a link for images from a site sharing image site. It is apparently designed by moose knuckles. Made in China. Maybe there's a moose knuckles jacket similar to this.

https://imgur.com/gallery/WIRdt

I wonder if it's the same jacket in this thread or different (pics no longer accessible). MSRP for this jacket was 600.

bay-company-adventurers-down-parka-210-70-off-1248682

Here is the link for the jacket I posted the pictures for on the Bay website

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... viewHeader
Confused. If you already bought the jacket why don't you try it and see if you like it? I don't get why you need someone else opinion on something subjective.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10011 posts
905 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
GTFO wrote:
Jan 8th, 2017 5:06 am
Confused. If you already bought the jacket why don't you try it and see if you like it? I don't get why you need someone else opinion on something subjective.
Correct.. and if he doesnt like it he can return it for full refund. You're right, doesnt make sense.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Sep 27, 2007
4 posts
Hi all, I was wondering if I could get some input on Nobis Yatesy sizing. The OP seems to be about my size and originally had the small fitting better. What do you guys/gals think? I'm 5'10", 155lbs 39" chest, 30 in waist, 38" hip. From the Nobis sizing chart the medium should fit perfectly but from what everyone is saying the small should be better on me. In most shirts etc I am now a small. The CG Chateau that I had tried on last year fit best in a medium with the small being too snug. Thanks all.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44277 posts
3276 upvotes
Toronto
stefan.416 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2017 3:10 pm
Hi all, I was wondering if I could get some input on Nobis Yatesy sizing. The OP seems to be about my size and originally had the small fitting better. What do you guys/gals think? I'm 5'10", 155lbs 39" chest, 30 in waist, 38" hip. From the Nobis sizing chart the medium should fit perfectly but from what everyone is saying the small should be better on me. In most shirts etc I am now a small. The CG Chateau that I had tried on last year fit best in a medium with the small being too snug. Thanks all.
Well your chest falls under medium and your waist falls under small. I'd think small would be better if you like the "snug" fit. If you like it loose and want the option of possibly layering underneath then medium might be better for you.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2750 posts
578 upvotes
LONDON
I've just purchased my first expensive jacket, an Arc'teryx Macai. I'll be using it on my backcountry ski trip I'm planning, and hopefully for many seasons to come.

I've considered buying a hardshell and layer but the compactness and the fit of the jacket has won me over, plus I like to have a powder skirt built in for a ski jacket. N40P-X Gortex should be tough enough for me since it's not going be rubbing against a rock all the time a la an Alpha SV jacket.

The jacket is well built, and super warm. Pit zips are a must, and I love the highly adjustable drop hood, I still prefer a storm hood like the Alpha and Fissile but sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Overall I'm happy with the jacket, I was hesitant initially due to the price, but I don't want to freeze on the mountain on my ski trip, I checked that it could be -15 on the ground, which means potentially -20 to -25 plus wind on the mountain lol.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10011 posts
905 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
MikeMC12 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2017 1:45 am
I've just purchased my first expensive jacket, an Arc'teryx Macai. I'll be using it on my backcountry ski trip I'm planning, and hopefully for many seasons to come.

I've considered buying a hardshell and layer but the compactness and the fit of the jacket has won me over, plus I like to have a powder skirt built in for a ski jacket. N40P-X Gortex should be tough enough for me since it's not going be rubbing against a rock all the time a la an Alpha SV jacket.

The jacket is well built, and super warm. Pit zips are a must, and I love the highly adjustable drop hood, I still prefer a storm hood like the Alpha and Fissile but sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Overall I'm happy with the jacket, I was hesitant initially due to the price, but I don't want to freeze on the mountain on my ski trip, I checked that it could be -15 on the ground, which means potentially -20 to -25 plus wind on the mountain lol.
Well for $1100 retail I hope so.... Pssst.. it was $900 last yr. *welp*
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2750 posts
578 upvotes
LONDON
aznnorth wrote:
Jan 9th, 2017 8:00 am
Well for $1100 retail I hope so.... Pssst.. it was $900 last yr. *welp*
I got it abroad, so it was cheaper :)
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
2728 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
Adding some love for lower end priced jacket to the mix, The Alpinetek Parka (Mens)

Stats: 600 fill power

Inside Collar is felt-lined

Waist drawstring works to keep wind out of main body then lower to that are two additional bottom drawstrings to further decrease wind sneaking up inside

Button detail throughout the jacket

Ribbed storm cuffs with thumbhole (feels really thick and very good quality), reflective 3M scotchlite piping and option to tighten up the wrist sleeve about half an inch

two (2) zipper fastening by CMZ, big enough to be able to adjust with medium sized gloves on although attaching something on it for better grip might be a good idea

Detachable hood with adjustable length with velcro up top, drawstrings on either end to close it up around your face

Detachable fake fur. according to alpinetek, shaking it vigorously should fluff it up which it did when I tried it

Front view of hood with fake fur detached

Left media pocket with a 6 inch phone for size reference (Sony C5 Ultra)

Right pocket with a LG G-Pad II (8" tablet) with a case on for size reference

Front pockets with reflective 3M Scotchlite piping again, update edit: front hand warmer pockets are felt lined on the back of the hand side but nothing on the palm facing side
ty mr silentthunder for making me look again

Media routing from left side media pocket, works as advertised

Left breast pocket with kobo aura (5" ebook reader) peeking out, the pocket swallows it actually but for size reference I just stuck it out, good place for your phone too

And last but not the least, a quick water repellency test

other points to consider

- For the sale price that sears put it out for, I think it's a very good bang for buck down jacket
- used it in -10c weather and it kept me warm with only a long sleeve shirt
- fits a little on the big side, quality finish is good
- no pit zips so if you get too hot you'll just have to resort to unzipping a bit from either the top or bottom or alternatively, just loosening the waist drawstring
- updated (courtesy of mr silentthunder): felt lined 'hand-warmer' pockets on the back of the hand only and nothing on the palm side
- the reflective piping is a very nice touch, as a driver, at night, pedestrians wearing dark clothing are hard to spot sometimes, makes it safer for both our sakes to see and be seen
- brand whores might scoff at it Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes but for those that just wants a fairly good quality down jacket that works and not break the bank, this is it
Last edited by dredd2099 on Jan 12th, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
FS/FT: none atm
Mar 8, 2007
326 posts
461 upvotes
dredd2099 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 12:39 am
Adding some love for lower end priced jacket to the mix, The Alpinetek Parka (Mens)

- For the sale price that sears put it out for, I think it's a very good bang for buck down jacket
- used it in -10c weather and it kept me warm with only a long sleeve shirt
- fits a little on the big side, quality finish is good
- no pit zips so if you get too hot you'll just have to resort to unzipping a bit from either the top or bottom or alternatively, just loosening the waist drawstring
- no felt lined 'hand-warmer' pockets but you'll most likely have a glove on anyway if the weather calls for a need to use a down jacket
- the reflective piping is a very nice touch, as a driver, at night, pedestrians wearing dark clothing are hard to spot sometimes, makes it safer for both our sakes to see and be seen
- brand whores might scoff at it Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes but for those that just wants a fairly good quality down jacket that works and not break the bank, this is it
so I recently received mine. I think I might have got last years model - it only has 1 outer breast pocket

BUT the handwarmer pockets on mine were lined!!!

on the sears website there are only 'tall' versions of that parka left (and 'bigsizes of 2xl and up)
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
2728 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
silenthunder wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 9:13 pm
so I recently received mine. I think I might have got last years model - it only has 1 outer breast pocket

BUT the handwarmer pockets on mine were lined!!!

on the sears website there are only 'tall' versions of that parka left (and 'bigsizes of 2xl and up)
thats the same one sir and you are correct, it is lined on the back of the hand side but nothing on the palm side
I missed that one, updated post
FS/FT: none atm
Aug 30, 2012
74 posts
8 upvotes
A clothing store on Spadina/King carries "Canadian Spirit" men winter down jackets. It looks and feels decent and prices are reasonable. Anybody cares to share experience with winter jackets of this brand?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10011 posts
905 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
baddy420 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 6:15 pm
A clothing store on Spadina/King carries "Canadian Spirit" men winter down jackets. It looks and feels decent and prices are reasonable. Anybody cares to share experience with winter jackets of this brand?
Canadian Spirit is a line under OSC - outdoor survival canada. Other lines includes OSC cross and OSC regular. Best place to buy at cheapest price is the 2 OSC factory outlets at Pacific Down City and Oriental Centre. I believe they sell for 50% off. OSC is prolly the best competitor against Canada Goose. Chinese-Canadian company based in Toronto founded by Johnny Yiu. They go under the corporate name Duvet Comfort Inc.

Management staff
http://duvetcomfortinc.com/about/who-we-are/

In terms of warmth OSC (-40C) > OSC Cross (-25C) > Cdn Spirit (-15C)