Fashion & Apparel

Outerwear Jacket Reviews (CG, CMFR, MK, Nobis, etc)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2017 12:41 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2440 posts
103 upvotes
GTA
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this so forgive me, but the wife and I are each in need of new winter coats. We've never owned proper winter coats that kept us very warm and want to buy the right ones that will hopefully last us a little while. Budget is about $250+HST each, give or take $50. We've tried on several different coats (The North Face, Eddie Bauer, etc.) and all of them are super warm, but we find the parka style coats to be a bit too bulky feeling. The puffer down style jackets (not sure if that's the right term) are super light yet seem to be quite warm.....can they be used as main winter coats? What's the downside to these coats over a proper parka? All of the coats we've been looking at have a down fill rating of 550-650 at a minimum.
Dec 11, 2012
62 posts
33 upvotes
Waterloo
I always wonder why Soia and Kyo was never on the list. I understand they are made in China, but they are extreamly warm, look nice, can be bought for very cheap on sale, lots of real fur and have amazing quality. I have owned mine for 3 winters and have not been disappointed and is still in perfect condition even after numerous times skiing. Bought for $250 all in on sale from $600.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1744 posts
391 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Thecheapindian wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 4:10 pm
I always wonder why Soia and Kyo was never on the list. I understand they are made in China, but they are extreamly warm, look nice, can be bought for very cheap on sale, lots of real fur and have amazing quality. I have owned mine for 3 winters and have not been disappointed and is still in perfect condition even after numerous times skiing. Bought for $250 all in on sale from $600.
Apparently, I learned recently that Soia and Kyo is a sister brand to Mackage?

Anyway, the last sample sale in Richmond Hill had a whole bunch load of Soia and Kyo jackets for women. They were like 40-60% off retail. A friend picked up a long winter jacket for $300, the MSRP was something along the lines of high $500s.

I believe another one is coming up in March at the same location.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3450 posts
376 upvotes
Richmond Hill
JKKim2983 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 4:18 pm

Anyway, the last sample sale in Richmond Hill had a whole bunch load of Soia and Kyo jackets for women. They were like 40-60% off retail. A friend picked up a long winter jacket for $300, the MSRP was something along the lines of high $500s.

Theres a lot of them at HR2 as well. M. Knuckles too
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
Feb 13, 2014
108 posts
27 upvotes
I've read a bunch of reviews of the CMFR Gormley Parka and they all seem to say that it fits at least a size larger than it is.

I'm looking at an XL and the size chart says 44-46. I wear a 48 in a suit jacket, so I don't know whether to risk the XL or continue looking for an XXL. I'm hesitant to buy it because it is a final sale.

Any thoughts on how large the Gormley really fits?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1744 posts
391 upvotes
Unionville, ON
JKKim2983 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 4:18 pm

Following up to my old post, the upcoming sale is this weekend, March 9-12 at:

SHERATON HOTEL
9005 LESLIE ST, RICHMOND HILL, ON, L4B 1B2

Brands includes:

CANADA GOOSE
MACKAGE
PARAJUMPERS
SOIA & KYO
ZANEROBE
DIESEL
ELIZABETH + JAMES
FRED PERRY
G-STAR
HAPPY SOCKS

HOUSE OF HARLOW
HUDSON JEANS
J BRAND
JAMES PERSE
JOIE
LACOSTE
MARC JACOBS
WISE AND PROPER
NAKED ZEBRA
NUDIE

PSYCHO BUNNY
RAG+BONE
ROCK REVIVAL
SUPER DRY
THEORY
TOM SHOES
TRUE RELIGION
UGG
WILDFOX
WINTER KATE

BEVERLY
CIOLO
BOY LONDON
JOE'S
JUST ME
LUSH
MODERN VINTAGE
PAIGE DENIM
WISE AND PROPER
US POLO
Aug 5, 2008
75 posts
22 upvotes
The_Professor wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 3:45 pm
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this so forgive me, but the wife and I are each in need of new winter coats. We've never owned proper winter coats that kept us very warm and want to buy the right ones that will hopefully last us a little while. Budget is about $250+HST each, give or take $50. We've tried on several different coats (The North Face, Eddie Bauer, etc.) and all of them are super warm, but we find the parka style coats to be a bit too bulky feeling. The puffer down style jackets (not sure if that's the right term) are super light yet seem to be quite warm.....can they be used as main winter coats? What's the downside to these coats over a proper parka? All of the coats we've been looking at have a down fill rating of 550-650 at a minimum.
All else equal , the only advantage a higher fill power jacket has over one with a lower fill power is weight (it will be lighter). The insulating properties of a down jacket come from the amount of air they trap, so more down (and therefore, thicker jackets) will equal more warmth. Assuming the "super light" jackets you're referring to are down sweaters such as this one (example), they won't be as warm as a proper parka, regardless of the fill power.