Careers

Is it outrageous to ask for a 6% raise after a year?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2020 10:32 pm
[OP]
Member
Jan 25, 2015
240 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Is it outrageous to ask for a 6% raise after a year?

I just think this will put me closer to market value. Is there a strategy?

Thank you
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
7108 posts
2018 upvotes
Maple
Are you a worthy employee? Do you deserve to get it? Make sure yes, before asking.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
10134 posts
6435 upvotes
Edmonton
mikolyyyy wrote: I just think this will put me closer to market value. Is there a strategy?

Thank you
Make a list of the ways you're adding value to the company. Get your evidence of comparables. Keep in mind if you ask for 6, you'll probably end up settling for less, assuming you get anything at all.

And be mindful of the timing of your request, and the company's financial situation.

C
[OP]
Member
Jan 25, 2015
240 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CNeufeld wrote: Make a list of the ways you're adding value to the company. Get your evidence of comparables. Keep in mind if you ask for 6, you'll probably end up settling for less, assuming you get anything at all.

And be mindful of the timing of your request, and the company's financial situation.

C


Yearly raises happen every year for everyone apparently. Im trying to get a head start before the budget is determined. I fulfilled my role successfully and made decent profit on my last project. My role is pretty high pressure and i think im doing a decent job.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2114 posts
867 upvotes
Alberta
mikolyyyy wrote: I just think this will put me closer to market value. Is there a strategy?

Thank you
I think it will be tough unless your role has significantly changed. You accepted the job less than a year ago and you thought at that time it was market. Unless the demand for your job has changed, it’s hard to now argue that you’re below market.

Doesn’t hurt to ask.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30297 posts
16126 upvotes
Ottawa
Are you asking for 6% on top of a merit/inflation increase?
[OP]
Member
Jan 25, 2015
240 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, ON
No. 6% is everything including inflation
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1325 posts
671 upvotes
Durham
mikolyyyy wrote: i think im doing a decent job.
Sounds like you are unsure. Whats the feedback on your performance through out the year? This line should read "I am doing an exceptional job, exceeding expectations" if you are looking at asking for such a large increase. If you are, you may get a nice bonus, I highly doubt they will provide such a large increase after a year. There is no consistency and what if you fall off year 2?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1491 posts
589 upvotes
I never asked for a raise in my career until very recently (after 10+ years in the industry), but I always got decent raises. If you do a standup job and outperform others, the company will want to keep you and will give you a raise. If you are doing nothing more than what most people do, then you won't get much in return. The only reason I asked for a raise this time around is because I know my value to the company and I'm the only one with my position in the company of over 1500 people and like 15 offices across North America.

If you ask without really earning it, it could hurt you more than help.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 22, 2009
1920 posts
701 upvotes
Montreal
if the goal is 6%, ask for 10% or even 20% if you have a good case.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
12011 posts
6877 upvotes
Think of the Childre…

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Newbie
May 13, 2019
8 posts
14 upvotes
eblend wrote: I never asked for a raise in my career until very recently (after 10+ years in the industry), but I always got decent raises. If you do a standup job and outperform others, the company will want to keep you and will give you a raise. If you are doing nothing more than what most people do, then you won't get much in return. The only reason I asked for a raise this time around is because I know my value to the company and I'm the only one with my position in the company of over 1500 people and like 15 offices across North America.

If you ask without really earning it, it could hurt you more than help.
This is not true a lot of the time. Some companies will only do the minimum amount they have to to retain an employee, even if that employee is great.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2010
1169 posts
555 upvotes
Ajax, ON
mikolyyyy wrote: Yearly raises happen every year for everyone apparently. Im trying to get a head start before the budget is determined. I fulfilled my role successfully and made decent profit on my last project. My role is pretty high pressure and i think im doing a decent job.
Just a decent job and you want 6% raise? How dare you!!

Jk, go for it, shoot for the moon
Newbie
Jul 29, 2019
39 posts
29 upvotes
mikolyyyy wrote: I just think this will put me closer to market value. Is there a strategy?

Thank you
When you say "closer to the market", do you think you are underpaid?

Personally, I don't think doing a decent job will get you much of a raise. If you exceeded your goals/manager's expectations, maybe. But there is no harm asking, just make sure you have valid points on why you deserve a higher raise.

Also, decent profit on your projects, were you the one to get the client/maintain the client/keep the project below budget to make the profit? or just an employee working on the project? Will there be a bonus for that?
Member
Jun 27, 2006
485 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
If you were the manager, would your performance justify the 6%?

Top