Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3178 posts
121 upvotes
Adelaide

Outside of crock pot extremely hot?

Is this normal? The crockpot is fairly new, but I have never noticed one way or another whether the metal exterior has gotten very hot before. But I inadvertently touched it today while it was on low and it was very hot, hot enough to burn you if you kept your skin on it.

If it makes a difference its a digital one with a timer on it, and the pot is removable from the unit.
4 replies
Jun 23, 2004
528 posts
7 upvotes
Beautiful Downtown S…
Yes they get hot, at least the few that I have used do.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
4999 posts
526 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
BongoBong wrote:
Oct 15th, 2009 4:44 am
Is this normal? The crockpot is fairly new, but I have never noticed one way or another whether the metal exterior has gotten very hot before. But I inadvertently touched it today while it was on low and it was very hot, hot enough to burn you if you kept your skin on it.

If it makes a difference its a digital one with a timer on it, and the pot is removable from the unit.
The original Crock Pots ran cooler. Too cool for health authorities, so the wattage was ramped up in the mid 90's.
My Rival oval, about 6 years old will bring soup or stew to a low boil on the low setting. I'm not surprised that you find the exterior hot, as this is normal.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5429 posts
171 upvotes
BC
jayt90 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2009 11:57 pm
The original Crock Pots ran cooler. Too cool for health authorities, so the wattage was ramped up in the mid 90's.
My Rival oval, about 6 years old will bring soup or stew to a low boil on the low setting. I'm not surprised that you find the exterior hot, as this is normal.
I have a Rival oval too, and it is the same. Its really hard to cook anything on high because it really is HIGH!!!
That's my 2cents worth
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3178 posts
121 upvotes
Adelaide
alright good to know, thanks for the replies. Just got to make sure nothing gets left close to it and should be golden.
× < >