Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.com

OUYA Preorder before price increase: $99 OUYA+Controller, $30 controllers, $20 Ship

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2013 10:24 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 16, 2012
405 posts
856 upvotes
Vancouver

[Amazon.com] OUYA Preorder before price increase: $99 OUYA+Controller, $30 controllers, $20 Ship

If you were thinking of getting an OUYA, now is the time to make a PREORDER on the old purchase link before it disappears.
The old link to purchase directly from OUYA has extra controllers at $30 instead of the new price of $50, also your order will ship in April 2013 instead of in June 2013

Ouya is an Android gaming console with a quad-core Tegra 3 processor. It will run Android Jelly Bean 4.1 (not Google TV) and as a result will be able to run XBMC so that it can be used as a media center for playing local and networked media as well as any Android app including video game emulators such as RetroArch. It will have a user friendly TV interface and while it will not officially support Google Play Store, you will still be able to sideload any Android app due to its open sourced nature.

Receive Unit by April 2013 by ordering unit directly from OUYA using their old purchase link:
Ouya+Controller: $99 USD
Extra Controllers: $30 USD each
Shipping: $20 USD
Ship Date: April 2013
Tax: $0, though you could get customs/duty charges
Total Cost for Ouya with One Controller: $119 USD
Total Cost for Ouya with Two Controllers: $149 USD
Total Cost for Ouya with Three Controllers: $179 USD
Total Cost for Ouya with Four Controllers: $209 USD
**NOTE This link will auto-redirect to http://shop.ouya.tv/. So I suggest loading the link and then pressing your browser's stop button and then making the order, otherwise you will be redirected to the page with higher prices.

The cheapest you can get the console with one controller is from Amazon.ca:
Ouya+Controller: $99.99 CAD
Shipping: Free
Ship Date: June 2013
Extra Controllers: $49.99 CAD each
Tax: depends on your province
Total Cost for Ouya with One Controller: ~$113 CAD (Best deal but has a later ship date)
Total Cost for Ouya with Two Controllers: ~$169.50 CAD (order from here to get better deal)
Total Cost for Ouya with Three Controllers: ~$226 CAD (order from here to get better deal)
Total Cost for Ouya with Four Controllers: ~$282.50 CAD (order from here to get better deal)
185 replies
Banned
Mar 30, 2011
2339 posts
1044 upvotes
This product will be dead on arrival. Lets look at only the hard facts:

1. Ouya is not released yet.
2. Ouya has not been seen to run XBMC, Plex, OnLive, or Minecraft. Ouya actually says on the bottom of their Kickstarter page "Mojang has committed that Minecraft (and their other games) will be on OUYA -- but only if we prove that we can make a great product (that’s our job) AND enough people want their games (that’s your job). Show them with your numbers that you want Minecraft on OUYA!" However, in the Kickstarter video, they say "Minecraft is going to be on it" like it is a sure thing. Pretty scummy if you ask me.
3. Ouya is not opensource. Android is opensource. Ouya is "open", as in you can open it with a screwdriver.
4. Ouya is primarily releasing the console to sell games through their future proprietary store
5. Ouya will not come with the Google Play Store.
6. Ouya has committed to having DRM options available for developers
7. Ouya has yet to come out with any of the requirements for developers to get their games into the Ouya game store.
8. Ouya has sold 68,000 consoles to date. Not exactly a number that is going to attract very many developers.
9. Ouya is going to be using the Nvidia Tegra 3 T33 SoC, an architecture released in Q4 2011 and a chip that was released in Q2 2012. This is an architecture that is already outdated.
10. Ouya is going to have 1GB of RAM. This is at a time when phones, like the Nexus 4, Note 2, and S3, are shipping with 2GB of RAM. Why does a game console need less RAM than a phone?
11. Ouya's launcher/store is extremely buggy as of this moment.
12. Ouya will not come rooted
13. Games sold in the Ouya store will have 70% of the revenue go to the developer and 30% go to Ouya
14. Ouya is putting all the risks of the product flopping onto the consumer, while at the same time keeping all rewards to themselves. If Ouya fails, you just wasted $100 dollars. If Ouya succeeds, Ouya will make a fortune from the 30% cut from games sold in their store. Ouya is not risking any of this future profit to subsidize the hardware like Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo do.
Jun 12, 2006
246 posts
191 upvotes
Hamilton
ijustgotadeal wrote: This will be dead-on-arrival. Reasons:

1. ***** hardware. Runs on outdated Tegra 3, a platform launched in 2011.
2. Chinese manufacturers are WAY WAY faster at bringing products to market and will always have the best hardware available for the cheapest prices
3. Ouya is wasting an insane amount of their funding on industrial design and their own proprietary game market.
4. Ouya is insanely over-hyped and running primarily on hype from the buzzword marketing.
5. Steam Box

-ZS
"He took it all too far, but boy could he play guitar"
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1084 posts
83 upvotes
Scarborough
Im slightly concerned with the ability of this product to play high framerate mkv file.
If the price is right, just roll the dice.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5582 posts
2441 upvotes

2. Chinese manufacturers are WAY WAY faster at bringing products to market and will always have the best hardware available for the cheapest prices
3. Ouya is wasting an insane amount of their funding on industrial design and their own proprietary game market.
4. Ouya is insanely over-hyped and running primarily on hype from the buzzword marketing.

Anyways, this is NOT a deal. This is just OP being conned by Ouya's 'indie', 'opensource', etc marketing platform into doing their gorilla marketing.
Couldn't have say that any better ...
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1346 posts
338 upvotes
People really jumped the gun when they decided to support this joke.

[QUOTE]4. Ouya is insanely over-hyped and running primarily on hype from the buzzword marketing.[/QUOTE]

This this this.
Banned
Mar 16, 2009
4857 posts
2030 upvotes
Wii U, Ouya, are there any consoles that don't sound like kids making ambulance siren noises?

WeeyooWeeyoo!!
OoyaOoya!

BTW the correct answer to this thread is save your money for the Playstation 4. :)
<<< Did you find my post helpful? Click the THANKS button.

BOYCOTT Lenovo products || Read about #LenovoGate! Tweet #LenovoSUCKS @Lenovo & @Lenovo_Canada, Post @ facebook.com/lenovo
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes

What alternative would you have suggested? The iteration of the Tegra 3 in the Ouya has only been available on the consumer market since September, and there's no higher model Tegra SoC available at the moment (And won't be for at least another quarter by the looks of it).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7360 posts
5510 upvotes
I ordered one the other week for the fact that it will run XBMC much quicker than my Xios DS.

I also wouldn't mind running some emulators.
Jul 2, 2003
615 posts
398 upvotes
GTA
Guys, way to support entrepreneurship and innovation. I absolutely love what these guys are doing. Yes they may not have the specs of a PS, Xbox or Wii but they aren't trying to get on the sustainable path of those companies. They are targeting an adjacent market, offering you an inferior product in terms of performance, however, at a much lower price. So say what you want, but its companies like this that are our future.
Oct 14, 2012
63 posts
19 upvotes
Laval
Take it easy ladies. Some of you get all wet when your cheap chinese android mini-pcs go on sale for 40-50 bucks and we all know that you can't do much on them even if you try. I had one with 'descent' specs and honestly it sucks on so many levels. I would pay 99$ and have a fully rooted android console supporting up to 4 controllers with the backing of major companies. Now spec-wise it's not as attractive as the Wii for example but as you may know the Wii proved to the gaming community: it's not about the specs, it's about the games.

Cry all you want on this thread because on RFD it's not always about knowledge, it's about being dirt cheap.

Edit: Oh and yes it does belong to the hot deals section.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1346 posts
338 upvotes
waz wrote: Guys, way to support entrepreneurship and innovation. I absolutely love what these guys are doing. Yes they may not have the specs of a PS, Xbox or Wii but they aren't trying to get on the sustainable path of those companies. They are targeting an adjacent market, offering you an inferior product in terms of performance, however, at a much lower price. So say what you want, but its companies like this that are our future.
You can get an xbox 360 or wii for the same price..
Oct 14, 2012
63 posts
19 upvotes
Laval
Binary Pants wrote: You can get an xbox 360 or wii for the same price..
Not the same if you asked me. Have you ever used a "hacked" XBOX (jtag or rgh)? If not then you have no clue what an open console can do. Microsoft can't even imagine something as good as Freestyle Dash. ************************************
Oct 6, 2004
916 posts
255 upvotes
redn12 wrote: Not the same if you asked me. Have you ever used a "hacked" XBOX (jtag or rgh)? If not then you have no clue what an open console can do. Microsoft can't even imagine something as good as Freestyle Dash. *******************
A hacked Xbox is pretty sweet. The OUYA on the other hand open or not is a hunk of peanut filled ***** .
Oct 6, 2004
916 posts
255 upvotes
waz wrote: Guys, way to support entrepreneurship and innovation. I absolutely love what these guys are doing. Yes they may not have the specs of a PS, Xbox or Wii but they aren't trying to get on the sustainable path of those companies. They are targeting an adjacent market, offering you an inferior product in terms of performance, however, at a much lower price. So say what you want, but its companies like this that are our future.
So the future is regressive instead of progressive? Interesting. Why not just re-release teh Colecovision for $5...it is also inferior to the PS3/Xbox and there would be zero development costs. If recycled inferior quality products are the future I'm going to sell my own poo in a ziplock baggie as a sports snack bar and be rich.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5496 posts
2323 upvotes
tietherope wrote: I ordered one the other week for the fact that it will run XBMC much quicker than my Xios DS.

I also wouldn't mind running some emulators.
Have you seen any videos of it in action yet?
This is the only reason Id want it too. Not sure if it will be that much better then my xios tho..
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
3057 posts
1503 upvotes
Whatever it is about these kickstarer projects but they attract a high amount of white knights constantly white knitting for them, it's pretty ridiculous in general.

OUYA is just as silly as its name, if anyone is still using their OUYA 4 months after receiving it I'd be shocked.