• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2017 8:42 pm
Tags:
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
This is a troll thread. I don't believe the OP.

If you have been in sales making over $100,000 a year for over 20 years, then you must be as SMOOTH as butter. Your pitch, your value proposition must be insane.. Your ability to handle objections, talk through any problem, handle complaitns must be next level shit.

Or

You're full of shit, or were just lucky to ride the wave of a good company, were handed your job, and never meant to be in it... and were given all the deals on a silver platter..

Most sales people are shit...

So, since you're saying it's been 6 months, you must be the later.

Tough man. Sucks to be you I guess.. unfortunately I have no advice to offer, because a truly good sales man at 60 years of age, would be a pro.. you could sell financial services, cars, equipment, etc.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2321 posts
1106 upvotes
Alberta
divx wrote: in today's world where employer/employee loyalty is at all time low and people no longer work at one place for their entire life, you need to be prepared for such position, shouldn't be that hard when op made 6 figures for 20+ years.
OP says he makes six figures now, doubt he was making 6 figures for twenty years.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Once your savings and credit dry up, you realize you’re now a peasant like the rest. THEN you take the 12-15$ and try to dig yourself out of a huge hole for the next decade. Time to swallow the pride and take the best paying job he can get now. Ride it out until you upgrade or retire.

divx wrote: be realistic, if you live like a king for your life, how can you live like a peasant now?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Solsearchin1 wrote: Once your savings and credit dry up, you realize you’re now a peasant like the rest. THEN you take the 12-15$ and try to dig yourself out of a huge hole for the next decade. Time to swallow the pride and take the best paying job he can get now. Ride it out until you upgrade or retire.
that may be true for younger people, but at op's age, no need to put up with the rat race anymore, just dip into rrsp and assets and take early retirement.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1145 posts
879 upvotes
daivey wrote: This is a troll thread. I don't believe the OP.

If you have been in sales making over $100,000 a year for over 20 years, then you must be as SMOOTH as butter. Your pitch, your value proposition must be insane.. Your ability to handle objections, talk through any problem, handle complaitns must be next level shit.

Or

You're full of shit, or were just lucky to ride the wave of a good company, were handed your job, and never meant to be in it... and were given all the deals on a silver platter..

Most sales people are shit...

So, since you're saying it's been 6 months, you must be the later.

Tough man. Sucks to be you I guess.. unfortunately I have no advice to offer, because a truly good sales man at 60 years of age, would be a pro.. you could sell financial services, cars, equipment, etc.
Almost guaranteed it's the latter. Making over 100k as a salesperson isn't hard. The good ones make over 200k easily.
The fact that his connections aren't enough to find him a job after 20+ years means he wasn't that good and got to 100k by seniority and was most likely overpaid.
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
Walch1102 wrote: Almost guaranteed it's the latter. Making over 100k as a salesperson isn't hard. The good ones make over 200k easily.
The fact that his connections aren't enough to find him a job after 20+ years means he wasn't that good and got to 100k by seniority and was most likely overpaid.
Average salesperson makes 100k? What kind of salesperson are you talking about? Do you mean realtors/auto sales? I don't recall the average making this much.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
blitzforce wrote: Average salesperson makes 100k? What kind of salesperson are you talking about? Do you mean realtors/auto sales? I don't recall the average making this much.
Are you lost?

We aren't talking about sales reps at best buy and footlocker dude.
Jan 11, 2017
121 posts
40 upvotes
30 yrs in sales and "no" contacts? Sounds kinda fishy to me. Sell used cars.. at 100% commish.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
daivey wrote: Are you lost?

We aren't talking about sales reps at best buy and footlocker dude.
Are you lost? When did I say you're talking about "sales reps at best buy and footlocker", dude?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
Did OP get a job?
A good job that does not pay scumbag rates?
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
GhostBusters wrote: If you work in sales and are good at what you do. Consider selling cars for dealerships. I know a few people that break 100K a year doing that.

It's all about skills and ability in that job though. Dry spells when you are not good with money cause many to quit.
+1 on this.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1145 posts
879 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: Average salesperson makes 100k? What kind of salesperson are you talking about? Do you mean realtors/auto sales? I don't recall the average making this much.
In most professional settings. This obviously excludes your retail mall sales reps.
Whether you are selling cars, insurance, b2b, drugs, furniture, financial products, etc, 100k is fairly average for someone with 20 yrs exp.
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
I know of a few companies that got rid of their most senior salespeople. Sure, in their early years they won a lot of business for the company. In their last years when they are older, they get tired on the road a lot easier and are mostly just getting into their repeat client's faces for sales....not really growing the business how the company wants.

Better to have the most experienced salespeople a few years to retirement to mentor the prospected juniors out of the back office and be out on the road a little less.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
Walch1102 wrote: In most professional settings. This obviously excludes your retail mall sales reps.
Whether you are selling cars, insurance, b2b, drugs, furniture, financial products, etc, 100k is fairly average for someone with 20 yrs exp.
I really did not know any average salesperson (no education required) can make that much selling cars. I thought maybe 100k is for the really good ones until someone mentioned really good ones make 200k, which is close to president level salary (in Canada that is).
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1779 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: I really did not know any average salesperson (no education required) can make that much selling cars. I thought maybe 100k is for the really good ones until someone mentioned really good ones make 200k, which is close to president level salary (in Canada that is).
The key here is 20 years of experience.

You should be at 100k range in pretty much any industry after working there for 20 years unless you somehow got stuck in minimum wage/entry level/dead end position.
Feb 22, 2016
40 posts
13 upvotes
Still no job, Post Office hired me as a part time mail delivery, however though I am in great shape my blood pressure was above the max allowed of 150, therefore on meds to reduce it. Pay was $19.86 an hr which is the best I've been offered. Had 4 phone interviews by different organizations but no subsequent calls. Apply to approx 5 jobs a day.....keep u posted
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
Vegas1227 wrote: Still no job, Post Office hired me as a part time mail delivery, however though I am in great shape my blood pressure was above the max allowed of 150, therefore on meds to reduce it. Pay was $19.86 an hr which is the best I've been offered. Had 4 phone interviews by different organizations but no subsequent calls. Apply to approx 5 jobs a day.....keep u posted
$20/hour really isn't bad. Wish you luck!
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
TTC is currently hiring for operators and may be hiring again for the new customer service positions. Its a bit hard to get in since so many apply, but its worth it. Ageism shouldn't be an issue their HR is very fair.

However the hiring process is lengthy...

I did not know the post office hired part time delivery couriers. Surprised their union would allow that.
Sep 15, 2010
868 posts
463 upvotes
Kawartha Lakes
So many RFDers are so quick to attack a poster on here. We should be trying to help each other, not bashing someone as a troll or liar when we really know nothing about them. To the op, good luck and hang in there. I know things will turn around for you.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)