Fashion & Beauty

Over Glasses, Dark and Polarized Sunglasses?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2018 3:43 pm
[OP]
Jan 11, 2010
547 posts
58 upvotes

Over Glasses, Dark and Polarized Sunglasses?

anyone here have any recommendations on dark, polarized and specifically over glasses sunglasses? Specifically for bright/into sun driving, fashion looks obv not important.

Alot of the standard brands dont seem to be made to fit over glasses. Ordered a couple cheapies off amazon and also looking particular at the Cocoon brand for 'higher quality?'.

Ive tried a couple diff generic store brands atm but not sure if they're any better from the cheap generic amazon ones ive got coming. Not sure if prescription sunglasses might be the best route.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1219 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
You might be better off getting prescription sunglasses. They work great. Especially when driving. If your eyesight is still changing every 2 years then I would because you don't want them to be obsolete in 2 years.

I got a pair from Lens Crafters. Lens Crafters is generally expensive but I went there when they had their 50% off lenses deal. I chose them because I have really bad eyes so I was hoping they would have the experience to fit a thick set of lenses into a set of frames. Also, they said if they couldn't do it then I wouldn't get charged. Luckily, they were able to do it and I was covered under my insurance.

Good luck on your search.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Aug 17, 2008
927 posts
331 upvotes
I use "fit-over" sunglasses regularly.

I like them because they offer good wrap-around protection. With most prescription lens, you can't get prescription sunglasses that have enough "curve" to give you protection from the sides.

The two brands I like the most are Cocoons (which you already mentioned) (available at MEC and Bass Pro), and ESP (available at Costco). Costco used to only offer a relatively narrow ESP model that wouldn't fit over my glasses; but within the last couple of years, Costco now offers a wider model that does fit over my glasses. Quality is very good; eliminates glare, and great for driving.

Cocoons has wider selection of lens shades and darkness levels. ESP at Costco only comes in one darkness level, but it's perfectly fine for driving.
[OP]
Jan 11, 2010
547 posts
58 upvotes
ds2chan wrote:
Jun 28th, 2018 9:50 am
You might be better off getting prescription sunglasses. They work great. Especially when driving. If your eyesight is still changing every 2 years then I would because you don't want them to be obsolete in 2 years.

I got a pair from Lens Crafters. Lens Crafters is generally expensive but I went there when they had their 50% off lenses deal. I chose them because I have really bad eyes so I was hoping they would have the experience to fit a thick set of lenses into a set of frames. Also, they said if they couldn't do it then I wouldn't get charged. Luckily, they were able to do it and I was covered under my insurance.

Good luck on your search.
my plan is to get my next pair of glasses with the transition lenses stuff atm.
multimut wrote:
Jun 28th, 2018 10:52 am
I use "fit-over" sunglasses regularly.

I like them because they offer good wrap-around protection. With most prescription lens, you can't get prescription sunglasses that have enough "curve" to give you protection from the sides.

The two brands I like the most are Cocoons (which you already mentioned) (available at MEC and Bass Pro), and ESP (available at Costco). Costco used to only offer a relatively narrow ESP model that wouldn't fit over my glasses; but within the last couple of years, Costco now offers a wider model that does fit over my glasses. Quality is very good; eliminates glare, and great for driving.

Cocoons has wider selection of lens shades and darkness levels. ESP at Costco only comes in one darkness level, but it's perfectly fine for driving.
ye, the cocoons seem nice, found some at Sail. however didnt see them having the mirror lenses models so I might have to order it online.
Aug 17, 2008
927 posts
331 upvotes
icecoal wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 8:21 pm
my plan is to get my next pair of glasses with the transition lenses stuff atm.

ye, the cocoons seem nice, found some at Sail. however didnt see them having the mirror lenses models so I might have to order it online.
I have transition lenses on my prescription glasses. Transitions ensures I always have sun protection for my eyes.

But I still like to use fit-overs:
  • When driving, transitions dont work, because the transition lenses won't darken when you are inside your car.
  • And if I am outside for long periods, fit-overs give me better sun blocking and side protection. Most prescription lenses can't give you the nice curved lense that you find in non-prescription glasses.
Depending on how strong your prescription is, you can get prescription glasses from Oakley or Maui Jim that have a bit of a curve to the lense. Not all models will work depending on your prescription.
[OP]
Jan 11, 2010
547 posts
58 upvotes
multimut wrote:
Jun 30th, 2018 9:29 pm
I have transition lenses on my prescription glasses. Transitions ensures I always have sun protection for my eyes.

But I still like to use fit-overs:
  • When driving, transitions dont work, because the transition lenses won't darken when you are inside your car.
  • And if I am outside for long periods, fit-overs give me better sun blocking and side protection. Most prescription lenses can't give you the nice curved lense that you find in non-prescription glasses.
Depending on how strong your prescription is, you can get prescription glasses from Oakley or Maui Jim that have a bit of a curve to the lense. Not all models will work depending on your prescription.
thanks, good to know. btw which cocoon models do you have/tried.

been trying to find the L size with mirror lenses but sail/mec didnt have them and BP online web page doesnt look like it either. had to settle with regular grey lense. buying from the official site would total to around $100 cad after ship + conv. =$40~ worth the mirror lense with the +2% less LT and slightly less LT on reds and blues.
Aug 17, 2008
927 posts
331 upvotes
icecoal wrote:
Jul 1st, 2018 2:33 pm
thanks, good to know. btw which cocoon models do you have/tried.

been trying to find the L size with mirror lenses but sail/mec didnt have them and BP online web page doesnt look like it either. had to settle with regular grey lense. buying from the official site would total to around $100 cad after ship + conv. =$40~ worth the mirror lense with the +2% less LT and slightly less LT on reds and blues.
I have a couple of the Cocoons. I one with the mirror lense a few year ago, but misplaced it. Pilot is large and fits over almost any glasses. One have one of those. There is a smaller size, "MX" I think, that fits over most glasses. The smaller size looks better than the Pilots, but the Pilots give you very good coverage.

Having had the mirror lense, I don't think it worth spending extra to get that. The regular Grey or Copper is fine. The mirror lense is extra dark. Mountain Equipment usually has a pretty good selection, as does Bass Pro.
Jun 5, 2018
7 posts
4 upvotes
icecoal wrote:
Jun 28th, 2018 3:51 am
anyone here have any recommendations on dark, polarized and specifically over glasses sunglasses? Specifically for bright/into sun driving, fashion looks obv not important.

Alot of the standard brands dont seem to be made to fit over glasses. Ordered a couple cheapies off amazon and also looking particular at the Cocoon brand for 'higher quality?'.

Ive tried a couple diff generic store brands atm but not sure if they're any better from the cheap generic amazon ones ive got coming. Not sure if prescription sunglasses might be the best route.
Alot of third party companies offer large selections of clip on sunglasses now. They're coming back into a fahsion so everyone's on the bandwagon. I know SmartBuyGlasses have a lot of options in different shapes and colors, including polarised and transition lenses. They might be a better idea than actual fit overs as they're less bulky and you don't risk slippage/interference with your peripheral vision etc. Plus with clip ons you can get a few different tints depending on the light conditions when you drive.

Personally, I think prescription sunglasses are the way to go. It's hassle free to just leave them in the car and then they're always there. That's what I've got. they (obviously) feel like my normal glasses, not overly bulky or distracting, and they don't mess with my peripheral when I'm driving.
May 17, 2018
201 posts
79 upvotes
icecoal wrote:
Jun 28th, 2018 3:51 am
Costco's offerings seem to fit well over most glasses, to be of good quality, and to be cheaper than most other options.
“Of this one thing make sure against your dying day – that your faults die before you do.” - Seneca
Aug 17, 2008
927 posts
331 upvotes
Just to add a note on the importance of "wrap-around" protection, here's the recommendation from the American Academy of Opthalmology on sunglasses.

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/glasses- ... nded-types

Wraparound glasses are shaped to keep light from shining around the frames and into your eyes.Studies have shown that enough UV rays enter around ordinary eyeglass frames to reduce the benefits of protective lenses. Large-framed wraparound sunglasses can protect your eyes from all angles.

With prescription lenses, you can't get wrap around sunglasses as the curve of the lenses is limited for prescription glasses. Fit-overs will give you the wrap-around protection that opthalmologists say is very important for your long-term eye health. That's why if I'm outdoors for long periods, I use fit-overs.

Many of the fit-overs look quite nice and don't look too bulky. Also, I don't have any issue with peripheral vision with Cocoons or ESP (from Costco). You can see through the sides.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)