• Jun 20th, 2019 3:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2741 posts
483 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON

Overnight diapers

We've started to develop a problem with our daughter and am seeking advice on what to do. She goes to bed between 7-7:30 each night and has a bottle at that time. At 10:30 she has another dream feed bottle before we go to bed and then through the night she will wake up for a bottle between 2-3am. Lately at the middle of the night bottle I'm finding her diaper is saturated and I'm stuck changing her clothes. On average she gets a wet diaper change once maybe twice a week at the 10:30 feeding which is likely the problem. She rarely pees after that 7:30 bottle but before we check her at 10:30. I'm not sure what to do. We use Pampers Swaddlers and she has graduated to size 2 in the last couple weeks. I did some reading and found the Huggies Overnites but the smallest size lists 16lbs but she's still only 14lb and change. We're definitely hoping to find a better alternative for night time diapers as middle of the night changes are getting old. Any suggestions on what we do?
17 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28057 posts
13873 upvotes
Ottawa
Try changing the diaper more frequently, as I'm sure it's more than one occurrence of peeing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2741 posts
483 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 10:11 am
Try changing the diaper more frequently, as I'm sure it's more than one occurrence of peeing.
Oh we know that's definitely the problem. Like I said she takes her bedtime bottle and then a 10:30 bottle but doesn't pees between them so the next change is at her 2-3am bottle meaning she's had 2 feedings that diaper. Our go is to find a better diaper option as I don't particularly just want to wake her up at random between her 10:30pm and 2am bottles just for a diaper. At her age we're trying to get her sleep in a good spot and waking her up extra times is not going to help with that goal.

EDIT: Maybe I wasn't clear but her usual schedule is this:
7:30pm - diaper change, feed, bed.
10:30pm - dream feed. Her diaper 9/10 is dry so no change.
2:30am - diaper change and feed. This is when I am finding she's soaked through if she didn't pee between 7:30 & 10:30 feedings
6:30-7:30an - wake up. Diaper change. No issues with this one.

So unless we introduce a random wake up between her 10:30 & 2:30 feedings just for a diaper change we don't have a way to catch this. What I am hoping is that someone has a better diaper solution for us that can suffice from 7:30pm-2:30am for the nights when she doesn't have a wet diaper at 10:30pm and thus no diaper is changed.

EDIT 2: I'm just going to grab a small pack of Huggies Overnites and hope she fits it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28057 posts
13873 upvotes
Ottawa
ChicoQuente wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 12:04 pm
Oh we know that's definitely the problem. Like I said she takes her bedtime bottle and then a 10:30 bottle but doesn't pees between them so the next change is at her 2-3am bottle meaning she's had 2 feedings that diaper. Our go is to find a better diaper option as I don't particularly just want to wake her up at random between her 10:30pm and 2am bottles just for a diaper. At her age we're trying to get her sleep in a good spot and waking her up extra times is not going to help with that goal.

EDIT: Maybe I wasn't clear but her usual schedule is this:
7:30pm - diaper change, feed, bed.
10:30pm - dream feed. Her diaper 9/10 is dry so no change.
2:30am - diaper change and feed. This is when I am finding she's soaked through if she didn't pee between 7:30 & 10:30 feedings
6:30-7:30an - wake up. Diaper change. No issues with this one.

So unless we introduce a random wake up between her 10:30 & 2:30 feedings just for a diaper change we don't have a way to catch this. What I am hoping is that someone has a better diaper solution for us that can suffice from 7:30pm-2:30am for the nights when she doesn't have a wet diaper at 10:30pm and thus no diaper is changed.

EDIT 2: I'm just going to grab a small pack of Huggies Overnites and hope she fits it.
Ok, you guys are trying to time it as much as possible already.
Diapers are definitely a hit or miss.
Go with a slightly bigger size to absorb more, but it leaks from the side.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
1948 posts
1362 upvotes
Montreal
ChicoQuente wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 7:06 am
she has graduated to size 2 in the last couple weeks. I did some reading and found the Huggies Overnites but the smallest size lists 16lbs but she's still only 14lb and change.
Try size 3 or the Huggies. The weight ranges are just suggestions and I switched as early as possible for each kid specifically to have more capacity.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2741 posts
483 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Well the first night test didn't work. Go figure I get the overnight diapers, put one on at bedtime and then at 19:39 she had a wet diaper anyways. Haha.
Jun 14, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
We use PC Green diapers as our overnight diaper. We find it absorbs a lot more than pampers and huggies. Fits small though. I think we were using size 3 when baby was 14lbs.

It’s these ones https://www.todaysparent.com/product-re ... t-diapers/

There’s some guarantee that if you don’t love them, you can return for refund with receipt.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1080 posts
351 upvotes
OP try using pampers baby dry line, over the cruiser or swaddler line.
IMO you get more diapers for the same price.
I also found them to be more absorbent than the others, without sizing up.

We did try using huggies or Costco diapers, we did find occasional blowout unless you size up.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1526 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
When we had that issue we used pampers overnight diapers and it did the trick.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15622 posts
5850 upvotes
I'll go in a different direction - have you tried giving out bigger bottles to avoid these feedings? It seems like you might be able to get away with a bigger bottle at 7:00-7:30 to avoid one of the other bottles. That way the diaper will likely need to be changed at the (hopefully) single night time feeding. I'm guessing your child is too young for solids (3-4 months?) based on the weight but once they are able to take some cereal it may really help hold them over.
Sep 28, 2017
499 posts
311 upvotes
or bump the 2:30 am feeding back an hour to 1:30 am. you go from a 3 hr space in feedings/changes to 4 hrs and the baby has a small bladder so it could be the baby has become accustomed to a 3 hr buffer but that extra hour is the problem.

i would almost bet that if you did that you will have better results. if you both are getting up to do this i would also suggest you guys take turns so that you aren't both burnt out. with our first kid we both were getting up and while one changes the baby the other was getting the bottle ready and it was rock paper scissors on who would stay up to feed.

on the second kid we tried the switch off, and it made the over all mood of the house way better and we both had proper rest. oh, and it wouldn't hurt to grab a small pack of the size up diapers to give that a try as well with the 1:30 feeding time to hold you from the 1:30 till 6:30/7:30 time frame.
no matter where you go, there you are.
Aug 31, 2014
164 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
We like the baby dry recently too (but he's 22mo now lol). Just size up!
Mar 1, 2015
123 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Swear by Pampers Baby Dry. Not a fan of swaddlers
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2741 posts
483 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Thanks for all the suggestions. We're sticking with Swaddlers during the day primarily my friends gave us a diaper party and that is what we recieved. We're well stocked for most of her first year and hopefully this night time issue is a short lived. We found the Swaddlers Overnights seem to have solved the problem for the time being. If that changes we will definitely be trying some of the other diapers sugested or may switch to them when this box is empty anyways to save money.
TrevorK wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 10:44 pm
I'll go in a different direction - have you tried giving out bigger bottles to avoid these feedings? It seems like you might be able to get away with a bigger bottle at 7:00-7:30 to avoid one of the other bottles. That way the diaper will likely need to be changed at the (hopefully) single night time feeding. I'm guessing your child is too young for solids (3-4 months?) based on the weight but once they are able to take some cereal it may really help hold them over.
I wish it was this easy for us. Unfortunately we have had weight/eating issues with our daughter since day one, which can be seen by the fact you guessed 3-4 months and she is 5.5 months. She has not done well with making sure she eats enough in a day to meet her required minimum of formula intake. She also has not done a good job of increasing her intake at individual feedings and plateaued for quite awhile, so our only option to get enough formula in her has been keeping the number of feedings up in a day, which has required the multiple night feedings as that's the only time there is in a day to make it up. Over the last 2 weeks we're seeing a change and she is now taking a much bigger bottle than the norm mid day and has shaved 1 feeding a day off her average while still exceeding her minimum so we're certainly headed in the right direction. The 10:30pm feeding we hope to eliminate in the coming weeks if this trend continues. That feeding is NOT initiated by her, but by us because of the need for it to reach her minimum. The 2:30-3am is initiated by her and is her only feeding during the night she triggers. It's definitely starting to trend in the direction of being able to remove this feeding sooner than later which is great. We're starting solids shortly as well but have been doing baby oatmeal for a few weeks now for breakfast.
peytonpeanut2017 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 10:09 am
or bump the 2:30 am feeding back an hour to 1:30 am. you go from a 3 hr space in feedings/changes to 4 hrs and the baby has a small bladder so it could be the baby has become accustomed to a 3 hr buffer but that extra hour is the problem.

i would almost bet that if you did that you will have better results. if you both are getting up to do this i would also suggest you guys take turns so that you aren't both burnt out. with our first kid we both were getting up and while one changes the baby the other was getting the bottle ready and it was rock paper scissors on who would stay up to feed.

on the second kid we tried the switch off, and it made the over all mood of the house way better and we both had proper rest. oh, and it wouldn't hurt to grab a small pack of the size up diapers to give that a try as well with the 1:30 feeding time to hold you from the 1:30 till 6:30/7:30 time frame.
The problem with bumping the feeding is that we are trying to let her direct us when she needs the feeding. She is the one waking us up at 2-3am for the feeding as opposed to us just going to get her. We're at a stage where we prefer to not wake her up during the night and let her dictate the schedule. I definitely see the value in your sugestion and how it would be helpful though if we were willing to wake her ourselves. As we are already the ones waking her at 10:30 we prefer not to introduce another forced wake up on her. As I mentioned above it looks like we are headed towards elimination of the 10:30 feeding in the coming weeks. As I am the one on paternity leave I handle all feedings/diaper changes after the 7:30pm bed time Sunday-Thursday nights. On Friday/Saturday my wife handles it for the most part. I still occasionaly still do some of them as I'm pretty accustomed to it now so it doesn't bother me as much and she is out of the house 12 hours of the day for work so she is more than doing her fair share in my eyes. We have a baby brezza pro so feeding is easy as can be. My typical 2-3am wake up lasts roughly 10 minutes from my daughter waking me to returning to bed so it isn't too bad at all. That allows for a quick diaper change and bottle and I'm back in bed. I think 10 minutes, 15 at most is pretty reasonable from what I hear from others!
Sep 28, 2017
499 posts
311 upvotes
wow, that IS a good time for all that.... ours would take anywhere from 30-40 mins. so good job there !

when we had our second the ladies that come into the room to show us how to do things... not that we needed it being it was our 3rd (2 with this marriage and each one from previous relationships) so we had the rodeo under our belt lol. but she suggested actually waking the baby to feed at our schedule rather than letting them dictate this way you could start them on a set interval rather than within a certain time frame that could be 10 mins either way.

it worked for us as we knew when each feeding would be and after a few the baby also adjusted. we also had the wet diaper and overflow issue and that also seemed to fix that from happening. but i always say, if your method works don't change it.
no matter where you go, there you are.