Shopping Discussion

Overtock.com - pricing cdn vs us

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2010 3:34 pm
[OP]
Aug 17, 2005
7 posts

Overtock.com - pricing cdn vs us

Just a caution to all of you shopping across the border.
Below is a chat script with Overstock which is showing unclear pricing gaps explanations :

Melvin: Thanks for visiting Overstock.com, this is Melvin, how can I help you?

you: Hi ... just wondering why i have to pay approx. 20 % more than US store for this :

you: Pyramid PB738GX 1000-watt 2-channel High-power Mosfet Amplifier Item #: 11390506

you: ... when accessing from CANADIAN store view

Melvin: I understand, I'll be glad to check and help you further.

you: And this has not yet incuded the shipping and costum ....

Melvin: Sorry my system is running slow.

Melvin: It is the Pyramid PB738GX 1000-watt 2-channel High-power Mosfet Amplifier, correct?

you: yes it is

Melvin: It is priced CAD 118.14, and shipping within the US it is priced $90.99.

you: ok well ... I would understand that starting price would be about the same (i.e. +1.50$ approx for US currency rate adjustments)

you: and then during final processing, I would see a complete breakdown of customs, taxes ,etc ...

Melvin: The currency rate adjustments would apply and also the prices cannot be exact the same as what it is when sold within the US. Yes, you will be able to see the breakdown of tax and customs at the check out.

you: Ok , but i still feel like being ripped of by 26$ approx right at the beginning

Melvin: I understand, however, the a comparison of prices between domestic and international would in most cases than not see a difference.

Melvin: Sorry about that.

you: Thanks for helping out. Mind you, I still prefer shopping with real cost starting point than having to figure out final price gaps. Sometime, similar product are not available in CANADA which prevents me to have a good picture of the real value of an item ...
5 replies
Aug 26, 2007
390 posts
3 upvotes
N00b. Prices in the US are always lower than Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5875 posts
35 upvotes
p3t3rl1 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2010 8:28 am
n00b. Prices in the us are always lower than canada.
+1
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2019 upvotes
Nowhere
p3t3rl1 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2010 8:28 am
N00b. Prices in the US are always lower than Canada.
No, they are not. But in this case, he is buying from the same site in the US. When you input Canada as your home country, it gives you the final costs at checkout including shipping and customs costs in Canadian currency. Before that, the prices should be the same except for the currency exchange.
Aug 26, 2007
390 posts
3 upvotes
No. If you look at Dell.ca and Dell.com, the prices are different with .com site usually have lower pricing.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2019 upvotes
Nowhere
p3t3rl1 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2010 3:24 pm
No. If you look at Dell.ca and Dell.com, the prices are different with .com site usually have lower pricing.
Those are two different websites operating from two different countries. That is not the case with Overstock.com.