• Jan 11th, 2018 10:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7105 posts
1223 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Jumped into this beta last night for some final games before the beta ends. Had 2 of the best games ever. Such a huge difference when you play with a team that works together, vs a team that runs around like a chicken with the head cut off.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3401 posts
737 upvotes
Toronto
raspeed wrote:
May 9th, 2016 4:27 pm
I started to feel that way about Bastion, then that way about Junkrat, then the guy with the bow .. and finally the Dwarf dude ... etc etc. I think once you figure out the players it seems like they are all over-powered as you pick off the newbs/scrubs.

I'm sure once the game has been released for a few weeks and everyone knows how to use each player optimally, the game will turn from pure ease to pure hell.

I went 34-0 with the dwarf in one match as I defended a claim with him. I suspect as time goes on it will not be as easy as it first appears.
I think the main issue is that noobs are just not accustomed to switching up their character and play style mid-game yet, to counteract what the other team is doing. Getting owned by Junkrat's grenade spamming from an elevated position? Instead of continuing to run in and get destroyed, why not snipe him off? Or build an ice wall to temporarily block his view and let teammates pass through? Or amp up your team's movement speed to allow them to find a way past and flank him?
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6232 posts
2017 upvotes
Canada
M1GOmigs wrote:
May 10th, 2016 10:02 am
I think the main issue is that noobs are just not accustomed to switching up their character and play style mid-game yet, to counteract what the other team is doing. Getting owned by Junkrat's grenade spamming from an elevated position? Instead of continuing to run in and get destroyed, why not snipe him off? Or build an ice wall to temporarily block his view and let teammates pass through? Or amp up your team's movement speed to allow them to find a way past and flank him?
That's exactly it ... I suspect this game will become incredibly frustrating for those that don't have a squad of regular to play with, while at the same time become incredibly rewarding for those that do.

It's far more strategic than it appears at first glance.

I think after it's been going for a month or two people who try to play it like CoD TDM will hate it.
Aug 20, 2009
6493 posts
1134 upvotes
Grimsby
I agree, its much like TF2 in that its easy to pick up but there's a surprising amount of depth and strategy to it that goes beyond the basic gameplay mechanics.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2006
8283 posts
29 upvotes
Any retailers have any cool physical preorder bonuses? I have no idea where I should preorder and which edition I should get lol
» ASUS P7P55D LE + Intel i7 860 2.8 GHz + Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
» G.Skill 4 X 2GB RIPJAWS DDR3 1600 + Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X
» Crucial M500 240GB + WD Blue 500GB + WD Green 1.5TB + WD Green 2.0TB
» Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced + Corsair HX620
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7105 posts
1223 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
rayray27 wrote:
May 21st, 2016 11:51 am
Any retailers have any cool physical preorder bonuses? I have no idea where I should preorder and which edition I should get lol
BestBuy was giving some extra stuff with the preorders.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
984 upvotes
Vaughan
Might be the first Blizzard game that I don't purchase.

Not sure what it is about this game that's keeping me away.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5025 posts
716 upvotes
calgary
squadz wrote:
May 24th, 2016 3:12 pm
Might be the first Blizzard game that I don't purchase.

Not sure what it is about this game that's keeping me away.
In this day and age where games like Titanfall, Evolve, SW:BF were grilled to death for lacking a single player mode its interesting to me that Blizzard seems to be getting a huge pass.

Maybe thats whats keeping you away? Personally despite really enjoying the beta I'm not chomping at the bit to hand over my money despite enjoying what I had played. It feels like a game that'll be 50% off in a few months.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3883 posts
181 upvotes
Mississauga
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
May 24th, 2016 5:37 pm
In this day and age where games like Titanfall, Evolve, SW:BF were grilled to death for lacking a single player mode its interesting to me that Blizzard seems to be getting a huge pass.

Maybe thats whats keeping you away? Personally despite really enjoying the beta I'm not chomping at the bit to hand over my money despite enjoying what I had played. It feels like a game that'll be 50% off in a few months.
I'm wondering why do people even want a single player mode for a game like Overwatch where its all about online play with friends and strangers? Single player seems like a huge waste because its a play once never play again type of thing. Better to spend the time and resources on making sure the online experience is amazing than making something that most people will play once if even that.

As for the game itself, having watched people playing on Twitch I still find it too busy for my tastes. Like I said before its kinda like a Michael Bay film with never ending explosions and flashy effects that make it abit difficult to follow. Maybe its just me but I still like the understated graphics of TF2 in that all the effects aren't so over the top and in your face.

And also it seems like the skill cap in Overwatch is much lower than it is in TF2 which is a good and a bad things. Good for casual players like me that can get decent at the game fairly quickly, but kinda bad in that there's not a ton of things you have to master and get better at. Overall Overwatch seems alright, but still wish there would be a TF3 coming out sometime in the future.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5025 posts
716 upvotes
calgary
MaximDude wrote:
May 24th, 2016 9:51 pm
I'm wondering why do people even want a single player mode for a game like Overwatch where its all about online play with friends and strangers? Single player seems like a huge waste because its a play once never play again type of thing. Better to spend the time and resources on making sure the online experience is amazing than making something that most people will play once if even that.

As for the game itself, having watched people playing on Twitch I still find it too busy for my tastes. Like I said before its kinda like a Michael Bay film with never ending explosions and flashy effects that make it abit difficult to follow. Maybe its just me but I still like the understated graphics of TF2 in that all the effects aren't so over the top and in your face.

And also it seems like the skill cap in Overwatch is much lower than it is in TF2 which is a good and a bad things. Good for casual players like me that can get decent at the game fairly quickly, but kinda bad in that there's not a ton of things you have to master and get better at. Overall Overwatch seems alright, but still wish there would be a TF3 coming out sometime in the future.
Your preaching to the choir here, I have no issues with multiplayer only titles and never understood the uproar and have often defended against it (for the reasons you mentioned plus good MP games always have more longevity for me).
Having said that, well I really enjoyed the Overwatch Beta and do plan to pick it up at some point I'm in over my head with my current collection of games and just cant see myself paying 80$ for a MP only title at this time.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5973 posts
2126 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
May 24th, 2016 5:37 pm
Maybe it's not a huge pass and the game is just actually a lot better than Titanfall, Evolve, and SW:BF? The problem with those games was never simply that they had no SP, it's that they were too shallow mechanically, lacking content and had way too much DLC to be worthwhile as full priced MP only games. Overwatch sounds like it's the complete opposite of those games and it's getting incredibly high reviews compared to those games
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
984 upvotes
Vaughan
ReeGee wrote:
May 25th, 2016 10:26 am
Maybe it's not a huge pass and the game is just actually a lot better than Titanfall, Evolve, and SW:BF? The problem with those games was never simply that they had no SP, it's that they were too shallow mechanically, lacking content and had way too much DLC to be worthwhile as full priced MP only games. Overwatch sounds like it's the complete opposite of those games and it's getting incredibly high reviews compared to those games
It is definitely better than those games, but there is a bit of bias here (coming from a huge Blizzard fan too).

The game is shipping with no competitive mode, no single player, no progression system, and is essentially a game that could be mistaken for free to play. There's a lot going against it that reviewers seem to be missing.

I'm a bit confused as to how anyone can sink hours of gameplay into this, without any sort of progression. It's a bit weird. Rocket League is my bar for how a game like this should be done, and Overwatch seems very pale in comparison. The games are fun, don't get me wrong, but that only lasts if you actually have a goal to strive towards.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5025 posts
716 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
May 25th, 2016 10:26 am
Yeah but even pre-release before anybody even had a chance to full grasp how much depth those games had there was a ton of criticism.

Overwatch isnt any better with its content, there is lots of characters but only a few maps and modes. Its very much the MOBA model packaged up in a 80$ retail disc, they cant go full MOBA though as the game is very reliant on switching your characters to counter other characters.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5973 posts
2126 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote:
May 25th, 2016 10:44 am
The game is shipping with no competitive mode, no single player, no progression system, and is essentially a game that could be mistaken for free to play. There's a lot going against it that reviewers seem to be missing.

I'm a bit confused as to how anyone can sink hours of gameplay into this, without any sort of progression.
If the game has outstanding game mechanics and it's fun to play then a progression and unlock system isn't important imo. My favorite MP FPS games of all time that I put the most hours into back in the day (Duke 3D, Quake 2-3, UT2K4, MOH:AA, ect) didn't have any progression of any kind and kept people coming back simply by having great gameplay mechanics. I know people have grown to expect progression systems in mp games now but if the gameplay is that good, it shouldn't make or break the game.
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
May 25th, 2016 11:00 am
Yeah but even pre-release before anybody even had a chance to full grasp how much depth those games had there was a ton of criticism.

Overwatch isnt any better with its content, there is lots of characters but only a few maps and modes. Its very much the MOBA model packaged up in a 80$ retail disc, they cant go full MOBA though as the game is very reliant on switching your characters to counter other characters.
Honestly I never found the time to try the game and I've never played a MOBA and have no idea how those work so I really have no idea how much content this game does or doesn't have, I'm just saying games like Titanfall, Evolve and Battlefront weren't criticized for any single reason like no SP or lack of content, it was the whole package including the game mechanics that were criticized for being underdeveloped.