None
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3237 posts
137 upvotes
Adelaide
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
May 25th, 2016 9:46 am
Your preaching to the choir here, I have no issues with multiplayer only titles and never understood the uproar and have often defended against it (for the reasons you mentioned plus good MP games always have more longevity for me).
Having said that, well I really enjoyed the Overwatch Beta and do plan to pick it up at some point I'm in over my head with my current collection of games and just cant see myself paying 80$ for a MP only title at this time.
It's $40usd for the game on PC (not sure about console), which is a far cry from $80 and prices it at below AAA titles.
squadz wrote:
May 25th, 2016 10:44 am
It is definitely better than those games, but there is a bit of bias here (coming from a huge Blizzard fan too).

The game is shipping with no competitive mode, no single player, no progression system, and is essentially a game that could be mistaken for free to play. There's a lot going against it that reviewers seem to be missing.

I'm a bit confused as to how anyone can sink hours of gameplay into this, without any sort of progression. It's a bit weird. Rocket League is my bar for how a game like this should be done, and Overwatch seems very pale in comparison. The games are fun, don't get me wrong, but that only lasts if you actually have a goal to strive towards.
There is some progression right now with your account leveling, which provides you with loot boxes that give cosmetic items. Would be nice for the ranked system to be in there right now but I am not worried about it making it in eventually.

I am happy to have paid ~$53 to get a very well made game that's not going to have season passes, or any sort of real content locked out behind grinding or pay walls. Hopefully not being free to play will help mitigate game abusers (hacker's, overly toxic people) since being banned can actually be a deterrent.
ReeGee wrote:
May 25th, 2016 11:29 am
If the game has outstanding game mechanics and it's fun to play then a progression and unlock system isn't important imo. My favorite MP FPS games of all time that I put the most hours into back in the day (Duke 3D, Quake 2-3, UT2K4, MOH:AA, ect) didn't have any progression of any kind and kept people coming back simply by having great gameplay mechanics. I know people have grown to expect progression systems in mp games now but if the gameplay is that good, it shouldn't make or break the game.
Yeah progression can be nice, but I do agree that a fun game is going to be fun to play either way. Counterstrike didn't have progression for how long and has been played like crazy for 10+ years before ranked came in. TF2 which is a pretty close analog to the gameplay in Overwatch doesn't have any progression unless you count cosmetics, which Overwatch does have now. As I mentioned earlier I am not worried about rank play coming in at some point anyways. Apparently it was in at some point in the beta's but they wanted to change how it worked so took it out for now.
Deal Guru
Sep 7, 2006
13932 posts
75 upvotes
Kuala Lumpur, MY
loving this game right now but it's definitely something i'd want to play with at least a team of 4 people that i know. i solo queued earlier and got sooooo frustrated..
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
982 upvotes
Vaughan
GiOBoY wrote:
May 26th, 2016 10:02 am
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JWk8mde.jpg[/IMG]
It's the same with every new release, it's pretty funny to watch.

Division comes out? Omg best game ever - two weeks later, thread is dead.
Fallout comes out? Omg best game ever - two weeks later, thread is dead.
Destiny? Same thing. Battlefront? Same thing.

Uncharted will be different - it's actually a good game (from what I've heard).

Overwatch? Will be the same as the games above. I have a feeling the sense of boredom will kick in quickly for that game.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4899 posts
668 upvotes
calgary
squadz wrote:
May 26th, 2016 12:24 pm

Overwatch? Will be the same as the games above. I have a feeling the sense of boredom will kick in quickly for that game.
Wait, so your saying that people stop talking a game once they beat it and/or move onto other stuff?

Crazy talk!
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
982 upvotes
Vaughan
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
May 26th, 2016 12:44 pm
Wait, so your saying that people stop talking a game once they beat it and/or move onto other stuff?

Crazy talk!
Thread is dead was a poor choice of words.

I meant that typically after two weeks is when you get the unbiased reviews. Fallout 4 was awful, Battlefront awful, Destiny boring, Division (all of the above) etc.

Always hype around a new release, people get sucked into it, and then two weeks later it's regret. They basically do the walk of shame every release, and I get to watch it.
Sep 16, 2013
101 posts
46 upvotes
Medicine Hat, AB
I'm actually really enjoying the game so far and I didn't buy into the hype until I played the beta on a whim (I usually don't play beta tests). I can't remember if someone earlier in this thread said it or if I read it somewhere else but they compared Overwatch to Rocket League and I totally see why someone would say that. The barrier to entry and having fun is low but the skill ceiling is very high and games are super competitive. They're both similar in that you're playing the same game modes in the same arenas but no two games are ever alike and it takes a lot of strategy to be good (flanking, changing characters to counter, coordinating ultimates with teammates, etc).

I think if Blizzard plays this right and continues to support the game with new heroes and maybe some sort of ranked competitive mode then Overwatch has the potential to be a very long lasting, enjoyable game. Just because people are hyped about it doesn't mean I would write it off the same as other hyped games that fell short.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4899 posts
668 upvotes
calgary
squadz wrote:
May 26th, 2016 12:48 pm
Thread is dead was a poor choice of words.

I meant that typically after two weeks is when you get the unbiased reviews. Fallout 4 was awful, Battlefront awful, Destiny boring, Division (all of the above) etc.

Always hype around a new release, people get sucked into it, and then two weeks later it's regret. They basically do the walk of shame every release, and I get to watch it.
I know what your saying that, most games give off a glowing first impression until you actually get into them and then you realize that maybe the mechanics or way the game plays out isnt so great (I admit the scheen of the Division wore off pretty quickly) BUT....

This is blizzard we are talking about, given there track record I imagine this game will have incredibly long legs and be constantly improved upon.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
7576 posts
8315 upvotes
GT-EH
squadz wrote:
May 26th, 2016 12:24 pm

Except for:
  • DOTA2
  • CS:GO
  • TF2
These 3 have been around for years and still continue to boast a record strong player base!

I will buy into the hype when this Overwatch game stands the test of time like the list above. ;)
Otherwise, like you said, it may die a slow or quick death like 98% of the other games!
I just like to collect things! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5462 posts
1779 upvotes
Toronto
GiOBoY wrote:
May 26th, 2016 1:37 pm
Except for:
  • DOTA2
  • TF2
These 3 have been around for years and still continue to boast a record strong player base!

I will buy into the hype when this Overwatch game stands the test of time like the list above. ;)
Otherwise, like you said, it may die a slow or quick death like 98% of the other games!
The reason those games are lasting is because they predate the current console generation which is really what pushed the trend of short lived disposable hype games
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
276 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
squadz wrote:
May 25th, 2016 10:44 am
It is definitely better than those games, but there is a bit of bias here (coming from a huge Blizzard fan too).

The game is shipping with no competitive mode, no single player, no progression system, and is essentially a game that could be mistaken for free to play. There's a lot going against it that reviewers seem to be missing.

I'm a bit confused as to how anyone can sink hours of gameplay into this, without any sort of progression. It's a bit weird. Rocket League is my bar for how a game like this should be done, and Overwatch seems very pale in comparison. The games are fun, don't get me wrong, but that only lasts if you actually have a goal to strive towards.
+1. These are good points. Wasn't Overwatch originally gonna be free-to-play anyway? It does feel like a f2p game.
Penalty Box
Oct 20, 2007
3767 posts
169 upvotes
Mississauga
SofaProfessor wrote:
May 26th, 2016 1:27 pm
I'm actually really enjoying the game so far and I didn't buy into the hype until I played the beta on a whim (I usually don't play beta tests). I can't remember if someone earlier in this thread said it or if I read it somewhere else but they compared Overwatch to Rocket League and I totally see why someone would say that. The barrier to entry and having fun is low but the skill ceiling is very high and games are super competitive. They're both similar in that you're playing the same game modes in the same arenas but no two games are ever alike and it takes a lot of strategy to be good (flanking, changing characters to counter, coordinating ultimates with teammates, etc).

I think if Blizzard plays this right and continues to support the game with new heroes and maybe some sort of ranked competitive mode then Overwatch has the potential to be a very long lasting, enjoyable game. Just because people are hyped about it doesn't mean I would write it off the same as other hyped games that fell short.
I disagree that Overwatch has a high skill ceiling. Having watched the game for quite abit now on Twitch, the game is very noob friendly and there doesn't seem to be very much to learn with these characters. Namely there's really no skills you have to learn to be really good at any character in this game. In TF2 if you want to be a good soldier, you have to learn to be good at rocket jumping or if you want to be a good spy you have to learn how to be stealthy and stab properly. In OW there's nothing special you need to learn to be good. Just run around and start shooting and learn to work with your teammates and that's about it.

For most people this is probably fine since they just want to have fun and not have to work too hard at getting good at the game, but for those that want a challenge and want to be the best, it seems like you don't have to train a whole lot to be a really good player. And also every character in this game has an 'ultimate', which means even if you're bad you can still contribute in a big way simply by building up an ult and then using it at an important moment. That's pretty damn noob friendly right there.

GiOBoY wrote:
May 26th, 2016 1:37 pm
Except for:
  • DOTA2
  • TF2

Isn't alot of the reason why CSGO and TF2 are still popular is because of the trading in those games? I mean sure those games are fun and all, but would TF2 still be around and thriving for so many years if it weren't for all the trading?
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
7576 posts
8315 upvotes
GT-EH
MaximDude wrote:
May 26th, 2016 7:07 pm
Isn't alot of the reason why CSGO and TF2 are still popular is because of the trading in those games? I mean sure those games are fun and all, but would TF2 still be around and thriving for so many years if it weren't for all the trading?
The same can be said for DOTA2... in general, it's all about HATS!
The gaming community generally LOVE collecting HATS - and if Overwatch knows any better, they would be very successful if they implemented a HAT system.

I just like to collect things! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
982 upvotes
Vaughan
GiOBoY wrote:
May 26th, 2016 8:51 pm
The same can be said for DOTA2... in general, it's all about HATS!
The gaming community generally LOVE collecting HATS - and if Overwatch knows any better, they would be very successful if they implemented a HAT system.

No, it's not about hats.

There's a very large competitive scene around Dota, CS Go, LoL. Team based games that take actual skill, with lot of depth and progression.

This game doesn't feel that way in its current iteration.
Penalty Box
Oct 20, 2007
3767 posts
169 upvotes
Mississauga
squadz wrote:
May 26th, 2016 10:35 pm
No, it's not about hats.

There's a very large competitive scene around Dota, CS Go, LoL. Team based games that take actual skill, with lot of depth and progression.

This game doesn't feel that way in its current iteration.
Dota, CSGO and Lol all have big money backing those games. Not sure there'd be much of a scene without all that money being thrown about. And also at least on a pro level the competitive scene is small relative to how many people play those games. There's literally millions of people playing those games yet how many people are playing at a pro level for all that money? A few hundred in each one of those games maybe? Not very many. The only games that really have an actual huge global competitive scene are Smash and Street fighter games. That's about it.

As for skill is there really that much skill in Dota and Lol? Seems like its more important to have a good team with good strategies rather than individuals being amazing at the game. As for CSGO, sure you have to be a good shooter, but alot of it is also just repetition where every map you do similar things each and everytime. Namely teams usually contest the same areas of the map using the same tactics over and over again. Boring as hell. As much as Overwatch may require less skill at least on the whole it seems much more fun to watch that Dota, Lol or CSGO.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(